Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 10:43:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to find retainer ring for 3/4" impact extension/socket?  (Read 677 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: July 05, 2012, 05:05:31 PM »

What type of place would carry a retainer ring for keeping a 3/4" impact extension and socket together?  I tried a few local stores to no avail.  (One place sold the sockets and extensions, but nothing to hold them together.)  I can order online, but the shipping would be more than the item!

The crazy thing is the Chicago Pneumatic 3/4" impact wrench I bought has no way to hold the socket on.  It has neither a detent ball nor a hole for a pin.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 05:46:57 PM »

You can get the ring at Fastenal but it not going to do much good unless your socket and extension are made for the ring most are for the ball ,air impact guns were not design for use with extensions sockets yes that is reasoning behind long and short shafts duck tape works
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 05:52:58 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 07:56:42 PM »

I'm 99% sure the extension is designed to be used with a retaining ring.  The end for the socket has a hole through it and the other end has a groove for a ring.  I'll have to check Fastenal next week.

The original reason I got the impact extension was to use with my 3/4" torque wrench.  I figured since I could only find a impact Budd socket that I would get an impact extension to go with it.  I wasn't even aware you aren't supposed to use an extension with an impact wrench.  I might have to get an extended anvil impact wrench then.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 06:15:53 AM »

after 46 yrs i learn that one is not to use an extension with a air impact wrench...
God kept me alive for this reason i guess... Grin

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 06:23:23 AM »

Chevy I did not say you could not use a extension with a impact I do it all the time I said they were not desigin for use with one you well know if a bolt doesn't brake loose with a socket and extension remove the extension to get more impact from the gun and 98% of the time it will break it loose 

I have one true impact extension for a 1/2 drive a Proto brand 5 inches long cost me 70 bucks that's the only one I have lol see why 

good luck
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 06:31:47 AM by luvrbus » Logged

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 06:52:11 AM »

I paid $30 shipped for my 3/4" impact extension.  It is Allen brand made in the USA.

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 07:19:05 AM »

My Proto is a locking extension and I was told you did not lose any of the hammering torque but I think you lose some just not as much as a regular extension

chev49

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 08:09:24 AM »

you are right. i think you do lose a bit of torque with extension esp if its sloppy like my worn out ones.  But my 1 in is the one with the extension...
I do know that if i put something like 4 extensions on the half or 3/4 i always lose some torque.

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: