Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 12:08:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jake Brake install  (Read 1427 times)
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 06:39:47 PM »

When my buffer switch failed coming down a grade, I stepped on the throttle and the engine reacted very much like a gasoline engine with a manual choke fully engaged. It smoked gray and slowly kept dying until I flipped the toggle off. She blew out a large cloud of blue smoke and surged back to life. I was never so relieved than at that moment.
At first I figured I would just replace the buffer switch with the less expensive one and do away with the high idle. But since I could use the Jake's by simply turning them off or on as needed, I did what I usually do and procrastinated. Over time since, i discovered that I use the high idle a lot more than I realized, especially when setting up in a new park and I'm jumping in and out of the bus a lot getting her in just the right spot. Don't laugh, you've all been there Wink. Long story short, I'm leaving it just the way it is so I don't lose the high idle feature and simply turning on the Jake's when I need them being very careful not to step on the throttle again until I've released the Jake's. At some point, I might add the micro switch to the throttle for insurance so it cuts them out if I ever forget to disengage first or someone not familiar with the quirks of my bus need to move it for my widowed wife Wink
Will Smiley

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 09:09:14 PM »

I have the setup Clifford said.  I have a standard buffer switch with the King Cruise.  When I'm filling my tires I can bump the idle up to 900rpm.  Then you don't have the expensive buffer/Jake switch to contend with.  Works well and the Jake always works properly.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: