Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 04:44:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jake Brake install  (Read 1382 times)
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 06:39:47 PM »

When my buffer switch failed coming down a grade, I stepped on the throttle and the engine reacted very much like a gasoline engine with a manual choke fully engaged. It smoked gray and slowly kept dying until I flipped the toggle off. She blew out a large cloud of blue smoke and surged back to life. I was never so relieved than at that moment.
At first I figured I would just replace the buffer switch with the less expensive one and do away with the high idle. But since I could use the Jake's by simply turning them off or on as needed, I did what I usually do and procrastinated. Over time since, i discovered that I use the high idle a lot more than I realized, especially when setting up in a new park and I'm jumping in and out of the bus a lot getting her in just the right spot. Don't laugh, you've all been there Wink. Long story short, I'm leaving it just the way it is so I don't lose the high idle feature and simply turning on the Jake's when I need them being very careful not to step on the throttle again until I've released the Jake's. At some point, I might add the micro switch to the throttle for insurance so it cuts them out if I ever forget to disengage first or someone not familiar with the quirks of my bus need to move it for my widowed wife Wink
Will Smiley

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 09:09:14 PM »

I have the setup Clifford said.  I have a standard buffer switch with the King Cruise.  When I'm filling my tires I can bump the idle up to 900rpm.  Then you don't have the expensive buffer/Jake switch to contend with.  Works well and the Jake always works properly.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: