Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 22, 2014, 12:45:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xantrex SW4024 Input Relay Failure  (Read 684 times)
Tenor

Ignore
« on: July 11, 2012, 12:58:57 PM »

Seems to be the time for inverter failures!

OK.  SW4024, 2007 manufactured.

Inverter works on AC1. 
I disconnected output to transfer switch, in case somehow it was feeding back AC1 to AC2. 
I disconnected AC2  in case the second generator hot was backfeeding from the transfer switch.
When you shut power off from shore line, and turn the Generator Start menu to ON, AC2 will flash without any incoming current.  Then I get the Input Relay Failure error, and the inverter shuts off. 

Thoughts and suggestions?

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 02:45:50 PM »

I disconnected AC2  ... turn the Generator Start menu to ON, AC2 will flash without any incoming current.  Then I get the Input Relay Failure error, and the inverter shuts off. 

Umm, if AC2 is disconnected, then there is no way for the generator start system to work properly.  The AC2 LED flashes while the starting system timers are operating (unlike the AC1 LED which will only flash when there is ~120VAC present on the AC1 input).  Once the start signal has been sent, if the voltage does not begin to rise on the AC2 input, the start attempt is aborted and an error results.

To eliminate any other sources of trouble during testing of the generator start features, disconnect the AC1 input and wire the generator output breaker directly to the AC2 input with no intervening equipment.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 06:00:00 PM »

Thanks Sean!
I had forgotten that AC2 would flash prior to actual current reaching the inverter.  To make a long story very short, my neutral/ground relay failed.  I'll have a better larger relay in it tomorrow.  Apparently, a 10A relay is not enough for that application.

Looks like the neutrals and grounds had welded together in the failure.  Possibly the coil had shorted enough to pass 120 through the system, causing multiple strange errors with my transfer switch and the relay.

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 07:00:12 PM »

The typical reason transfer relays fail is due to transferring with a high AC load during the transfer process.  The transfer relay in my Prosine 3.0 was sticking and my friend managed to resurrect the relay.  The relay is a tight fit and very hard to replace,

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: