Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 07:47:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: roof air condensate  (Read 2364 times)
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« on: April 20, 2006, 01:01:32 PM »

I am lucky to live in an area that is pretty dry and pretty temperate, and so I have not had much problem with temperature or humidity extremes. My low profile Carriers have a center drain in them that I can attach a drain hose to, and run it insdie the coach, and down along a wall and through the floor and out.  I will have to drill through some roof struts etc to install the drain line. So my question to the group is how much of an issue is the condensate and is it worth running this drain line?   

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Dallas

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 01:49:22 PM »

I don't run roof air any more because I found that being staionary, window air is much more efficient. I run a 6K Btu in the front and a 8K Btu in the rear. On the front unit I can collect over 2 quarts of water per day. Whenn the humidity is up, here in SC, I have actually collected over 1 gallon.
Your Mileage may vary, but be prepared.
Just for fun, collect it in a spare tank and use it for cooling the radiator when climbing! Wow, what a concept. Recycle, reduce and reuse.
Good Luck,
Dallas
DebDav

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 02:20:02 PM »

I have not run collection and drain lines for the condensate on my Discovery.  The condensate makes its way to the lowest part of the roof and drains off the side.  If that is over a window,  the window gets wet.  If the condensate is not continuously washed off the window will stain.  Thik of what the stain is looking like on the paint.

Short answer:  I would run the drain lines

David
98 Discovery
93 Prevost H3-40 converting
04 Grand Cherokee
Don/TX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 02:41:04 PM »

I did nothing, just let it run down whatever side was lowest, what a mess.  I would do whatever is necessary to avoid it running wherever it wants to.
Bill 340

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 03:39:53 PM »

Jim:

I'm in a 94 H340 same as Ace and you.  The H model has drip rails and it is made to run to the corners and down in between the window cracks.  It shouldn't be running down the side windows at all.  If you think it makes a mess on the outside, try running a drain line thru the walls and having it stop up because air conditioner condensate will creat slime buildup in the drain line and will eventually plug and back up anyhow.  Stick with what you have.  I've been in mine full time for three years and have never seen the water run anywhere but where it was supposed to run.  You can judge it by pouring a glass or two of water on the roof; not a hose.  Hope this helps as there are certainly a lot more issues to worry about than a condensate drain line.  Good luck on your conversion.

Bill 340

Bill & Brenda Phelan
Lakeland florida..........Host of the ARCADIA RALLY
NCbob

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 04:05:49 PM »

FWIW guys,  they make a pill you can drop in the condensate pan of the A/C which will take care of Algea (probably chlorine) but you will want to keep that treated condensate off your beautiful paint job.  I plan to do that with mine.  Granted, it means climbing up on the roof, removing the cover and putting the pills in...but it sure does kill the algae and keeps the drains open.

NCbob
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 04:13:30 PM »

The new Carriers that I have throw the condensate back onto the condenser, this helps cool the condensor and evaporate the water.
I have never seen any water come out of them.

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 06:15:51 PM »

I have the new Carriers with the sling blade on the fan.

The only time I see any condensation run off is when I shut one down.

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 08:38:47 PM »

I have the new low profile Carrier units and I don't think they had room to put the sling wheel in there.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 09:08:16 PM »

Guys, All good points!

Bottom line, depends on humidity levels. For instance, today I installed 2 ductless splits in a Van Hool [daniel O. in V.A.] The first system was running at noon, today it 84 degrees out.  the condensate line didn't start dripping until 4:30 pm, and not very much! [very low humidity today 45%].
If you want to test your carrier, Duotherm, penguin, or coleman. do it in July. July tells the story! Ha! Ha!
So if black streeks upset you, Your not alone. We all got em! Or, shell out the bucks for basements or splits. All personal prefrences.

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Frank @ TX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2006, 10:17:46 AM »

We have an MC-9 with 3 roof airs.  Each one has tubing inside the ceiling and walls to duct the water to the ground outside.
We have been full time since 2001 and have not plugged a line yet.
If one ever did plug I'd snake the line and run some bleach down it.
But no problem yet.
Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: