Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 03:26:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Generator Problem? Inverter Problem? Both?  (Read 921 times)
wagwar

Ignore
« on: July 16, 2012, 05:25:43 PM »

We took the bus on a 'shakedown' cruise this week. I've done a lot of work on it in the last year and the time had come for a thorough test. As you can see from the other posts I've made, I had some issues with a solenoid!

I also had a problem with my generator/inverter. I would greatly appreciate your help:

I usually run the gen. in the am to make coffee, toast, etc. and to give the batteries a boost. In the interest of full disclosure, just before the trip I adjusted the rpm to produce a stable 60 hz when both a/c units were running on the gen.

After I start the gen. the inverter tries to start a charge cycle. I can see it trying to start bulk charging, but it doesn't 'hold'. It cycles between "invert" and "bulk" several times. Finally, it will 'stick' on Bulk. However, a minute or so later, one of the breakers on the gen. will trip. I can go out and reset the breaker, just to repeat the whole scenario again. Sometimes, it will 'stick' and start bulk charging the batteries.

The other interesting thing: this only happens if the inverter tries to charge!. IOTW, if I turn the inverter off, and just let it pass the ac to the house panel, I can run any/all loads off the generator w/o any problems. As soon as I start the inverter, the above scenario begins anew.

thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 05:43:37 PM »

Never had this problem before adjusting the rpm for the hz? Are you sure the meter you are using is accurate? You didn't end up with one of them thar weirdo 50hz inverter units by accident did you? see alot of them on the e place. just throwing some stuff out there, I don't claim to know nothin bout nothin.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 06:03:13 PM »

Check the amperage settings on your inverter to see if you are pulling too much from the generator during bulk charging causing it to pop the breaker.  An inverter can easily pull more amps than what is available from a power source.

Good luck!

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 05:29:29 PM »

... if I turn the inverter off, and just let it pass the ac to the house panel, I can run any/all loads off the generator w/o any problems. As soon as I start the inverter, the above scenario begins anew.

OK, now you have me thoroughly confused.

What make and model of inverter do you have?  And what make/model/output generator?

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
wagwar

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 12:54:28 PM »

Please accept my apology for the confusing wording! I should have said, I turn the inverter off and the ES 350 auto transfer switch passes ac through to the main panel. In that situation, I don't have any problems with the generator breaker tripping. I can run any and all ac loads in the house. However, as soon as I turn the inverter back 'on', it will attempt to go to bulk. One of the breakers on the gen will trip, this causes the transfer switch relay to open and I lose all ac to the house panel and inverter.

I have checked the settings on the inverter. I have the AC2 input set to 27A. I have the max charge amps set to 25A. I may be overlooking something, but the charger should not be overloading with these settings.

I'm hoping that maybe it is as simple as an old or weak breaker. Is that a pipe dream?

TRACE SW4024
PowerTech PTS 6.6AA 120vac - two 30A breakers on each 120vac leg.
I have no 220VAC loads. One gen. leg feeds panel 1 and the other gen leg feeds panel 2 of my main ac house panel. Panel 2 is fed by the inverter if the gen or shore is not available.

Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 02:15:08 PM »

I'm not sure why the inverter would bounce between invert and bulk. I have had my SW4024 trip my generator breaker when it is bulk charging and a load that doesn't go through the inverter kicks in (hotwater heater). I sometimes get a error on the panel due to overvoltage. It will go away when I apply a load. It will be interesting what Sean has to say.

John

« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 02:18:01 PM by Jriddle » Logged

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
wagwar

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 05:30:12 PM »

just a quick update:

Today, I went out to try to determine what kind of load was causing the gen breaker to open. So, I started with no loads on the gen. except the inverter charge cycle. With the AC2 input on the inverter (coming from the gen.) set to 27A - I tested bulk charging with the Max. Charge Amps set to 27, 26, 25, 24. The breaker would kick out at all settings exc. 24A. So set at 24A, the gen., transfer switch and inverter would stay connected and charge the batteries.

If I put ANY other load on the gen. the breaker on the gen would trip and all ac power to the panel and inverter would stop.

I then started testing loads on the opposite leg of the generator. Any additional loads would cause the breaker to trip.

So, the breaker tripped several times as I was testing things and then the transfer switch cut out!  The breaker did not trip. I know from experience that this means the circuit board on the transfer switch is DOA.

This is the second circuit board that I have fried with power from the gen.  I'm really starting to think there is something very wrong with my generator.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 07:16:35 PM »

Charge Amps set to 27, 26, 25, 24. The breaker would kick out at all settings exc. 24A. So set at 24A, the gen., transfer switch and inverter would stay connected and charge the batteries.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

This last trip I ran my generator while we were driving to charge up the batteries. I haven't installed my coach to house battery charging system yet  Cry. I had same problem I stopped a few times and 30A generator breaker tripped. I got Pi$$ed and set my inverter to pull 20Amps. I think breakers get weak if tripped often (maybe wise tell who knows). I didn't have any trouble after that. Mine might hold at 24 like yours but I made big jump and it worked. When it is just charging I thought who cares.

John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: