Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 26, 2014, 01:34:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What ceiling treatments do you use for bathroom?  (Read 2296 times)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 11:28:58 AM »

Brian,

At the risk of getting you angry I want to remind you that you tend to start a bunch of really difficult tasks right before you leave on a big trip and I'm assuming that since we're getting on to August that your rocketry trip to the desert must be soon. Maybe keeping it simple this year before you leave will lead to alot less stress right before you leave. Just my two cents...

This past week I found a bunch of issues with my shower that necessitate major repairs to the bathroom.  The FRP in the shower was not installed properly so it has been leaking.  Some of my friends installed the FRP and they spread the glue on the plywood instead of on the FRP itself.  Only about 25% of the FRP was actually stuck to the wall.

I ripped the whole thing apart yesterday in about 4 hours.  Part of the repairs include an opportunity to do something with the ceiling.  I redid the bathroom once before ti make it smaller and I expect it will take 2 to 3 weeks to get it all back together.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 11:33:10 AM »

Both Home Depot and Lowes sells 4x8 sheets of a Formica-type laminate that is meant for home shower stalls. It is white and textured. Sort of a nubbley, pebbley finish. You have seen it a hundred times in bar and restaurant restrooms on the walls. Cheap, flexible and durable.

That is FRP panels.  I am using it on the walls in my bathroom, but I have my doubts about using it on the ceiling.  I've read it can be done, but it requires mechanical fasteners instead of just glue.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Gerry H

1992 Prevost LeMirage XL-40 8V92 740 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 01:31:51 PM »

Also available at HD & Lowe's are thin white fiberglass 4x8' panels that are impervious to water/moisture and clean easily. Check them out. Gerry H

Forest Lake, Minnesota
Land of 10,000 mosquitoes and a few cool buses
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 06:12:15 PM »

Gerry i believe thats the same as FRP

Also i used it in my bath on the ceiling and only used liquid nail! 8 plus years and no droops!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 06:19:17 PM »

What Ace and Gerry said works really good. cheap, easy to clean and adheres well.

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2012, 07:37:04 PM »

I was just at the store picking up stuff to repair my bathroom and I saw a 4x8 plastic sheet that is flexible instead of stiff.  I wonder if that would work better because it is lighter than FRP?  It is also a lot easier to cut without all the fiberglass dust.  I will still use regular FRP for my shower walls.

Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2012, 08:16:32 PM »

Mike in GA that board is called Dairy board and is a FRP product. It comes buppy and smooth HTH

Brain we used Vinyl also, as Bob said what you use under it is a big deal. It will lay down smooth if you use a good 90 dupont or even 3M 77 spray adhesive. spray both sides of batting and whatever you are sticking it to. Then spray your vinyl and let it skin along with the side it sticks to on the batting. Smooth it and get it into place the first time because it is very hard to move. but well worth the look and cleaning. We used a natural brown leather color only because white is tough to keep stuff of of. It all cleans very well no matter what color. Its just that the brown is more forgiving. Its a light brown color so as not to make it dark looking. Screw the panel up with button top screws the press on type. Take some of the material to an upholsterer and they will cover them for you for very little.

Dave

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2012, 01:27:02 PM »

I decided to go with gray vinyl instead of FRP for the bathroom ceiling.  I will be using 3/8 BC plywood with a 1/8" round over on all sides.  When attaching the foam do I want to wrap the foam around the edges, or just have the foam on the flat surface?

Ace

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2012, 05:03:18 PM »

Around all edges looks better!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Flight102C3

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2012, 07:20:18 AM »

Good morning.  I got plans 0n using 12x12 self stick vinyl squares. but I think the use of an additional glue etc would be needed.The reason for 12x12s is hard to make a cutting error.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2012, 08:49:22 AM »

Good morning.  I got plans 0n using 12x12 self stick vinyl squares. but I think the use of an additional glue etc would be needed.The reason for 12x12s is hard to make a cutting error.

That will be an interesting effect on a ceiling.

Ace

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2012, 12:49:43 PM »

Interesting to say the least! Might be ok if the ceiling is flat (hardly) but as soon ad you run into an area that isnt flat or square fir that matter, your 12x12 idea of cutting error goes out the door because you will have bigger problems, such as gaps in the joints over edges overlapping! Its hard enough to do it on a square flat floor!
When you get r done, please do show us!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: