Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 11:41:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to prevent cabinet doors and draws from opening ???  (Read 1951 times)
scanzel

Ignore
« on: July 25, 2012, 06:12:05 AM »

What is everyone using to prevent cabinet doors and draws form opening when traveling down the road when braking and taking corners. Heard of some horror stories of dishes etc flying out when doors opened.  Grin

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
goutoe

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 06:33:57 AM »

My drawers are notched so that you have to lift up to release them and then pull out, and my cabinets have small lift cylinders that hold them shut. A cheap fix would be to install child proof catches that allow you to open the door or drawer enough to release the catch, these are available at any hardware store and very easy to install Just a thought. good luck, John.

John & Linda 1977 AM General 6V92 turbo Detroit 3 Speed allison, 40 ft.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 06:47:03 AM »

We now use cam locks, all keyed alike.  We lost some dishes one time. Smiley

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 06:53:30 AM »

We now use cam locks, all keyed alike.  We lost some dishes one time. Smiley

Ed, do you have part number, manufacturer, website, or other reference?  Thanks,  BH  NC  USA

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
skihor

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 06:56:29 AM »

On our MC 5A the original owner installed the two roller with a "U" shape metal latch on all of the doors. The drawers have "notches" and you have to lift them up to open. That has led to wear marks on the cabinet faces. I've put the two roller with a "point" latches on the drawers and doors in our concession trailer with good success... so far... I would advise a drop of some kind of epoxy under both pieces, (after alignment is confirmed), as they use such small screws and do loosen some with regular use, and are easy to "strip".

Don & Sheila
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 07:18:13 AM »

We use small (very strong) flat magnets. You can pick up dozens from the e place. Think they were called whole earth magnets. No problems and you cannot even see them!

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 07:19:54 AM »

We have "Grabber" latches from Southco on all drawers and cabinets:
http://www.southco.com/product/class.aspx?cid=7399

They work great, do not require any extra movement or action to open or close, and can be retrofitted on any existing doors and drawers.  They are spendy, at about $10 apiece if you buy them one at a time.  In bulk that can come down closer to $5.

They do wear out with use -- in eight years, we've replaced maybe 20% of them.  My only real complaint is that they come in three different strengths, but you can't tell them apart by looking at them -- no numbers stamped.  In hindsight, I should have marked or labeled each one so when replacement time came, I would know which one to get.

We didn't go this route, but if you want to, they also offer these with an internal microswitch (SPDT).  Many high-end coaches uses these and connect them to internal cabinet lights, so that the light comes on when you open the door.  I think the switch adds another $10 to the price.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 07:29:03 AM »

I'm probably going to use cam latches instead of cam locks.  Take a look at http://www.mcmaster.com/#cam-latches

McMaster-Carr's website does not allow me to link to the actual product web page.  I am looking at the wing-handle cam latches on that page.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 07:32:16 AM by belfert » Logged

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 07:38:30 AM »

The Southco is about the best latch I found also for cabinets in a RV or boat and Sean is right they are pricey,the screen door latch they make cost 20 bucks and it works

Life is short drink the good wine first
TheHollands!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 07:54:47 AM »

We have magnets on our doors which work fine when parked but when driving we also have window screen latches. The only downside is they are not hidden, we like them though. We originally went to the hardware store and bought one of every conceivable locking device to see what might work both for use and look. We are amateurs. Craig

The Hollands!
1984 MCI-9
www.tillersandtravelers.wordpress.com
Musical Nomads
4905 doc

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 08:04:18 AM »

couple of round wooden discs, and a wingnut worked for us. Ain't pretty, but who's looking at it while you travel?  Huh the rod held the bottom drawer since the top one couldn't open. A short pressure rod held the last cabinet door closed.

Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 08:12:28 AM »

We have the Southco latches on the Eagle.  They are great, far better than any other latch we have had.   When we refinished the cabinets we installed the self closing drawer runners on the drawers.  With the latches even the silverware drawer stays closed and they are still easy to open.  We installed the clips that hold window screens to keep the shower door closed.  The glass door is pretty heavy.

Don and Cary
1973 05 Eagle
GM 4107
Neoplan AN340

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 08:42:47 AM »

I vote for these, spendy but work great.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1376&site=ROCKLER

Shome shopping around and can be found for about 1/2 Rocklers price.    JIm

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
lvmci

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 08:45:43 AM »

Scanzel, coming from streamline trailers so many years ago, which had magnets built into the pull handles for upper cabinets, we used a yard stick for the drawers, slipped it thru all pull handles, then graduated to bungee cords with plastic hooks from lip of counter to bottom drawer, simple, quick on/ off, cheap & kids didn't pull so hard on drawers that spoons and forks went flying, but not very elegant. Lvmci...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 08:50:10 AM by lvmci » Logged

MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 08:47:29 AM »

Bruce, don't remember where i got them from off or the web, just google cam locks and go from there. You will  have to measure what length you need.  Been real happy with them, seems like price was $7-10?

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: