Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 11:09:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to prevent cabinet doors and draws from opening ???  (Read 1764 times)
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 11:21:21 AM »

My wife has very bad Rheumatoid Arthritis and so did not want cabinets that were hard to open and I wanted cabinets that would not rattle going down the road.  Our solution was a quarter-turn, compression latch; the first quarter turn turns the latch into the closed position and the second quarter turn pulls the latch in a 1/4". These are available at http://www.steelcitysupply.com/c-2620-emka-standard-quarter-turns.aspx , I used the 1022-U85 with 1022-49 latch these are not easy to find on the web site. I suggest calling and talking to Dana.
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, 12:00:41 PM »

Ed and others.  Thank you, these are exactly what I've spent far too much time looking for on Google and couldn't find (wrong name, I expect).  Really appreciate it.  BH 

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2012, 02:10:31 PM »

I think i got and used 16 of them, kind of wish i had gotten 3-4 extra as i found that i could have used 2 or 3 more for other things.....

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2012, 06:54:14 PM »

I went to the big box store and bought child latches and the work great. The drawers and doors will open a inch or so but don't fly open.

John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
Just A Newell

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 08:04:20 PM »

This is the latch that Newell used in the 80's. You can adjust the tension with the screws top and bottom.

SE Ks, 1986 Newell 8v92
Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
Ronald Reagan
Dave Siegel

Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 06:56:49 AM »

We used these latches but got them from a local kitchen cabinet supply house for $7 each. I have one on every door and drawer in the bus.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1376&site=ROCKLER

P.S. I also made my upper cabinet doors swing up and they stay up with a bar top stay while open. This way they will never open while on the road and are completely out of the way while open.

Dave

Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
               Naples, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2012, 12:49:38 PM »

I have a whole (dozens) bunch of this type:(lower right corner ones cept mine the actuator buttons are square not rounded).

And in certain places the "Newell" type never had a failure....now the referidgerator..that gets a double bungeee....it can make a horrble mess...
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2012, 02:46:05 PM »

I have two small doors that have the Newell type on them, never looked at them that close, never knew you could adjust them. Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2012, 03:20:32 PM »

I have a whole (dozens) bunch of this type:(lower right corner ones cept mine the actuator buttons are square not rounded). 

What was your source for buying these (or brand name)?  Thanks,  BH  NC USA

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
akbusguy2000

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2012, 03:34:10 PM »

I tried several different type before settling on these:

http://www.allegiscorp.com/DisplayPartAction.do?partId=21771&groupId=557&groupElementId=1&displayTemplate=/jsp/displayDetailTemp_15.jsp&cat=Single-Point+Slam+Latches

They work perfectly and hold well, and they are invisible.  Look around their site - they have every imaginable latch and you may find some to your liking:

http://www.allegiscorp.com/jsp/products.jsp?cat=all

tg
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2012, 04:13:48 PM »

Bottom of draws glue a small wood wedge that just catches inside of cabinet cross bar. you must lift up about 1/8 inch to open drawer. when you push in the wedge rides up over cross piece.  It has worked on several coaches for 20 plus years. Yes  on doors mechanical ones are better.  My new build came with self closing hardware that holds  draws and doors firm until you pull hard on them.   Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: