Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 10:40:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YAB- yet another bus, now comes the questions.  (Read 603 times)
fortyniner

Ignore
« on: July 25, 2012, 01:24:38 PM »

Yep, another bus. Ill be parting with the 61 4106 in the next few months but thats another thread.

So, I went on a little adventure from Austin Tx to Madison Wi and picked up pd4106-2864.

Ok bus, basically stock, no holes, with most seats removed and a simple partition in the rear bolted to a couple of the original package tray bosses. Runs great. Not surprisingly the A/C is disabled.

I did  hit a power-full storm in the middle of Kansas City that literally pulled the drivers window glass out! It started out as a high
pitched whistle at the top edge then it started vibrating. The next instant it disappeared and slammed down on the road and was eaten up by the interstate traffic. Freaky!  Glad it want the front glass!  Lots of stuff was blowing around and between traffic too. A mile later a few cars were in the ditch. Maybe it was a tornado. Maybe this bus should be named Toto, or Dorothy. 

Except for that and the weak (just rebuilt haha) starter the trip was uneventful and I made good time leaving Madison at 7am arriving  in Austin 3pm next day including a nice restful stop at a hotel. for 22 hours driving time. Motor temp never budged past 180 even with 98 degree temps. At least with no drivers glass you get good ventilation! 

Im not sure if its the 11x24.5 tires or what but this bus is a rocket. I had to monitor speed on gps carefully cause I hit 80 more than once by accident.  Motor temp never budged past 180 even with 98 degree temps and great oil pressure.

Now that Im back home Im going over the beast and the first mechanical job is to rebuild the parking brake. T It looks like I can just unbolt the drum and slide it back on the drive shaft to get access the shoes and stuff. The cam shaft is very loose and shoes are worn out.  If anyone else has tacked this job before feel free to comment.

Ill post some pics later.

-Tom P. 

Tom Phillips
PD4106-453
PD4106-2864
87 Alfa Milano
93 Range Rover
87 190e-16 Mercedes
92 Jeep Comanche
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 03:14:31 PM »

We're glad you didn't get sucked out of the bus during the storm.

Good luck with your new project.  Of course, we want photos.

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 09:02:59 PM »

Tom -

FYI, PD4106-2864 was delivered new in July of 1964 as fleet number 86 to Wisconsin Northern Transportation Co, HQ'd in Eau Claire, WI.

Not sure, but parking brake servicing should be covered in the Maintenance Manual, but it might be in the Supplement.

Is the '61 gonna be upset 'cause a younger gal is taking her place??

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: