Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 06:15:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Neubie Various Thoughts  (Read 3023 times)
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2006, 08:14:55 AM »

One of the bigger problems with construction gensets is that they are air cooled and you must move large amounts of air to keep it cool. Not only does this create noise, it makes building a low noise enclosure difficult due to the air movement required.
Also, construction gensets are typically designed as throw away units to be thrown away after the construction project is finished.
Richard

I agree with you both! I think Generacs are junk!! (care to hear how I really feel? Grin) I've owned some of their junk and regretted it. Never again.

Ok, so me trying to be the "creative one" (not always the best thing to do) Wink if I was to get this construction gen, bought a better muffler, sound proofed the bay -which I am doing anyway, what else would I have to do? Maybe have a small fan that comes on with the gen to keep air moving insde. Just curious. I'm always trying to be creative in some way and hopefully"occassionally" come up with a good idea that will help others.

Chaz

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2006, 11:20:19 AM »

Good post, Tom!

Amen on drivetrain. It's about the only reason I bought my present bus... but it's the one thing that would be far too complicated and expen$ive to change. Just about anything else you do to a bus is cake compared to a repower or tranny swap.

I can't agree with everything you said, though. I've owned all three: gas genset, 3,600 and 1,800rpm diesels. The 1,800 rpm diesel is the only one I would buy again. Gas unit was a pain with multi-fuel and more maint. The 3,600's can be freakishly loud and vibrate a bunch unless one spends a lot of time soundproofing. Right, JR?  Wink I wouldn't like propane, myself, but that's just me. I like to fill the one big fuel tank and just keep motoring... but that's just me!

And unless one needs three rooftop A/Cs and "all-electric"v, a 6-8kW unit is plenty. Best not to buy a big unit and run it only partially loaded. More fuel and wet-stacking that way.

My $0.02, and great thread!
Brian B.

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2006, 01:20:24 PM »

Kubota makes their own generators-both 18 and 3600.  One that comes to mind is the Panda line of Marine generators.  They are 3600 rpm and come in their own enclosure.  The 2 cylinder 8kw was the quietest gen I've ever heard.  My main point is that most of us don't need a generator that will last 20-30,000 hrs, like the 1,800 rpm's will.  If they last around 15,000 hours, like the 3,600rpm units do, that's enough.  I personally have a 10kw Powertech that is 1800rpm.  But next time will consider a 3,600 rpm, if it is also as quiet.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
larryh
4905A-893 P8M

ready to run with the big dogs

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2006, 01:39:00 PM »

Buy a Generac if you need a anchor for your boat actually not good for that either, not really good for anything my 2 cents worth

LarryH

Savvy ponderable:
A cowboy's only afraid of two things:
havin' ta walk,
and the love of a good woman.
"This posting was generated using an environmentally friendly, self contained flatulence generator, therefore no fossils or neutrons were harmed in the creation of this posting.

Quartzsite,
gus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2006, 07:12:31 PM »

I went through all these considerations and had decided on an 1800 RPM water cooled diesel. My only delay was in the outrageous cost. Then I discovered the Honda EV6010 water cooled RV generator which I am in the process for installing.

It is 6KW, 3600 RPM and is made to be enclosed for proper cooling. I'm making an insulated(fireproof) plywood box. This is less than half the cost of a diesel and probably quieter. It will last as long as I will at my low rate of usage.

The cooling system is totally selff-contained, no need for external hookups.

The only downside for gas gen seems to be the need for a gasoline tank, but my 4104 already has a 24gl tank used for the original AC engine.

Stale gas is not a problem if one uses Stabil. Generators should be run at least once a month under load anyway.

This thing is a HONDA, what more needs to be said!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2006, 10:07:08 AM »

Stale gas is not a problem if one uses Stabil. Generators should be run at least once a month under load anyway.

Stabil helps the gas last longer, but it will not allow it to last as long as diesel. I use stabil EVERY time I fill my gas can for the lawn mower & etc. Some times the gas will go bad after as little as 2 months. I buy gas from high volume stations to try to get the freshest to start with.

Keeping a gas genset exercised is mandatory if you want it to be usefull when you need it. Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2006, 07:33:21 PM »

Good post, Tom!

Amen on drivetrain. It's about the only reason I bought my present bus... but it's the one thing that would be far too complicated and expen$ive to change. Just about anything else you do to a bus is cake compared to a repower or tranny swap.

I can't agree with everything you said, though. I've owned all three: gas genset, 3,600 and 1,800rpm diesels. The 1,800 rpm diesel is the only one I would buy again. Gas unit was a pain with multi-fuel and more maint. The 3,600's can be freakishly loud and vibrate a bunch unless one spends a lot of time soundproofing. Right, JR? Wink I wouldn't like propane, myself, but that's just me. I like to fill the one big fuel tank and just keep motoring... but that's just me!

And unless one needs three rooftop A/Cs and "all-electric"v, a 6-8kW unit is plenty. Best not to buy a big unit and run it only partially loaded. More fuel and wet-stacking that way.

My $0.02, and great thread! Brian B.

Right-O on the noise Brian. However, as you state, with enough time and effort, even the higher RPM diesels can be quieted. I've made great improvement with sound control. The little Yamaha EDL 6.5 is quite tolerable now. And it just sniffs fuel. Been pretty good item so far.
High RPM Kubotas are less expensive and much more compact that many low RPM units. Jack Conrad squeezed a low RPM unit into the old condensor bay...which is where mine is located. I didn't want to give up a bay for a genset. If space isn't a consideration...or lack thereof, a low RPM diesel is preferable.
Regarding that engine thing...if you'll buy an MCI, the engine and trans swap is almost easy...installing sedan doors in bi-fold holes is still what I'd consider the most PIA operation...'course, I haven't raised any roofs either. I speaks with some authority as one that has had to R&R a rear main seal. Add to the list of PIA's....bleeding a DDEC once it's full of air. Just had that thrill again last Monday. Changed the oil and fuel filters. The filters were in good condition...probably good for another couple years at least. Somehow I have this mental image of trying to bleed the thing in 25* weather while stuck on the side of the road...so we changed the filters. Wink
Note that it was cold last Monday and the newly installed block heater is a charm! One hour plugged in and the old 2 stroke lites up and runs perfect...no cold smoke or anything. Block heaters are highly recommended. I'd install a simple electric block heater even with a Webasto or Proheat unit. Sometimes the KISS method will get you going...and what if the Weeb don't lite? Happens.
Cheers, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
gus

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2006, 09:51:02 PM »

Kyle,

You're absolutely correct, Stabil is not magic. What it does do is keep the carb from gumming up. If anything I own sits all winter without running I always drain the old fuel out and add fresh even if Stabil was used.

Stabil will completely stop combustion if just a bit too much is used. I found this out years ago with my '53 JD Model 60 tractor. Took me three days of total frustration to finally realize the problem.

Fresh gas is a good idea anyway.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2006, 06:57:52 AM »

The coach to me is a nostalgic thing: I used to drive it for a bus company in the 70s. When they got sold in '77, I thought those Courier 96s would make a nice motor home. Well 2 years ago when I saw one for sale I could not resist. We use it a lot in the summer. I spent all last winter renovating the inside into a 50s theme to match the exterior. It was tired 70s (lots of vinyl). I enjoy fixing and improving the mechanical side of things just as much in the winter. I am putting a turbo on the 4-71 Detroit now. The sense of satisfaction is priceless. All this is to say that it is not the money, but the enjoyment of it all that counts. That's the nature of the hobby. I'm having way more fun with it than I ever had with other RVs.

Lostagain

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Homegrowndiesel
Vegetable oil, Rudolf Diesel's original fuel

73-05 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2006, 03:43:23 PM »

Hey lostagain
YOU ARE a NEWBIE Smiley

#1 post Welcome to the "NUTHOUSE".

Courier 96? Huh
 4-71 Detroit, TURBO POWER cool. Grin
Glad to see your enjoying it. Wink

How about a picture?

I love old busses. Grin

Bill

Aerodynamic Eagle & MCI 102a3
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2006, 08:11:08 AM »

How do you post a picture? How about on my profile so it shows under my user name when I post? Thanks in advance.

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: