Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 03:59:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A/C condenser on outside of the bus?  (Read 2201 times)
Tikvah

Ignore
« on: July 28, 2012, 03:37:15 PM »

Considering three mini-split A/C units for my project.  Had a wild idea of placing the condensers on a expanded metal "shelf" above the engine blower doors. 
Am I nuts?

There would be plenty of fresh air parked or moving.  The shelf could be easily supported and painted to look right. 

Go ahead an laugh... but it's just an idea

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
fortyniner

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 04:11:55 PM »

Not sure about that but some of the new minisplit condensers can handle at least two evaporators. Might make it easier to find a place for it.

-Tom P.

Tom Phillips
PD4106-453
PD4106-2864
87 Alfa Milano
93 Range Rover
87 190e-16 Mercedes
92 Jeep Comanche
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 04:34:28 PM »

need 12 inches between unit and bus. would need to keep clean coil==wash more often.  Why not?  40 ft coach 2each 12000 inverter type would be plenty...   Would assume your staying smaller(12 and under ) to keep 120 volt.   Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 06:30:21 PM »

I will sure be glad to see what the results are going to be running the splits from a generator driving down the road the few I know with the splits are not having good luck.

At Taylor here in Phoenix they were replacing 3 with roof airs could have been the installation but Taylor did the conversion he does good work and this bus runs around 100,000 miles a year

It just did a Alaska trip he told me they were always a problem hence he was removing the splits

I don't we will ever know till Bob hits the roads about anything works with the bus parked

Life is short drink the good wine first
fortyniner

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 10:21:37 PM »

Did he mention any details about the problems?
-Tom P.

Tom Phillips
PD4106-453
PD4106-2864
87 Alfa Milano
93 Range Rover
87 190e-16 Mercedes
92 Jeep Comanche
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 05:26:56 AM »

need 12 inches between unit and bus. would need to keep clean coil==wash more often.  Why not?  40 ft coach 2each 12000 inverter type would be plenty...   Would assume your staying smaller(12 and under ) to keep 120 volt.   Bob

Bob, you are my inspiration to go with the mini-splits.  I've used them in homes and really like them.  You have probably have explained before, but what did you do with the condensers? 
I've thought of putting them in the bay, but figure I would need additional blowers to move enough air.

Yes, small units, 120V.

I'm curious what the problems have been that others mention.  It seems these coaches are uniquely suited for this kind of installation.

Dave

Thanks for any and all input.

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 06:46:28 AM »

Dave the problems he told me was lost freon from broken lines,electrical boards and fans,service on the road, the dehumidifying factor,the heat from the road in AZ shutting the unit down not much of a problem other places,his had no automatic restart and no one would honor the warranty.  

I believe the main reason for him was they took up to much space he never said but the drivers were glad to see the unit removed from the bays  

I have a friend that has lost boards in his 3 units but I think that was his fault and you are reading other places about peoples unit breaking freon lines and I did see the line broke off at the compressor on 1 at Taylor's place 

I am sure Bob and others will make it work I just want to see the results in the long run 

I do know that 1 or 2 -9000 btu units will not cool a bus here and I can find no boat builder or bus converter using the units yet  

If I was full timing and plugged into clean power all the time I would give it a try because I am not happy with my Penguins

good luck
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 07:11:19 AM by luvrbus » Logged

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 09:15:28 AM »

Clifford-what's wrong with your Penguin's?  I used two of them to create a basement air-hope I didn't make a wrong choice?  I went by Camping World and the said the Penguin's are the best A/C made-meaning least amount of maintenance.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 09:33:57 AM »

TomC  mine just don't move enough air and the dumb plastic fans they seem to be doing better now with the metal fans since I replaced the plastic fans with metal fans in the last week or so from WW Grainger

good luck

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 09:40:58 AM »

I had Nick explain to me the difference between the 13,500btu and the 15,000btu was that both have the same compressor, evaporator and condenser.  But the 15,000btu bumps the blower motor from 1/4hp to 1/3hp to better accommodate using with ducted system.  Maybe look into switching to the more powerful blower motor?  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 09:53:25 AM »

I was told the exact same thing TomC there was no difference in the 13,000 and 15,000 btu Penguin except the fan motor I didn't know where to believe the guy or not and Graniger does have the motors for 1/2 the price from Dometic so I'll try it thanks

good luck

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 01:59:23 PM »

Mini-Split: My choice. I am sorry if I led someone astray! I trade off problems with function with..  I did fasten all my lines down securely and units. Also watched to purchase units that reset automatically after talking with Nick and Dwayne (MCI 8 tin tent) is close by and a friend for over 40 years has had his installed for 5plus years. no problems. He has two condensers in one bay with. With a window fan sucking air in from bottom to aid in circulation.  He is a Hvac guy.   I put one condenser in spare tire compartment. One in old condenser compartment. and one in old evaporator compartment.  everything is solid!  I have the $57 recharge kit with me just in case and a portable torch and silver with flux(the solder and torch has ridden around in tool box for years).I have a 24000 208 volt Minni in my home . my 30 day cooling cost in this midwest 100 plus mess went from 245 last year to 88 this year.  Draw your own conclusions. No way 2 tons should replace 8 tons of cooling (20yr old units) and drop bill that much. looking forward to next bill.

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 02:32:00 PM »

Bob,I know how good they work in homes and motels just waiting on you to hit road and give us a report the problem I have is how cheap they are to operate that is always mention 

I know you are on the pole most of the time but most like myself are not so the cost of power is not a important factor cold air on the road or parked in the AZ heat with the generator for power that is what I am looking for

I would like to know how they handle the dirty power from some generators   

I am not a big fan of the roof mounted RV units the shrouds last a few years and blow off if lucky they miss the car behind and the replacement shrouds are outargues in price that would be one reason for splits IMO get well and hit the road soon

good luck

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 02:39:05 PM »

I'm playing with a inverter system in a roof air configuration to make install simple.  Someone needs to update the current rv systems. Doing this for personal use on another project. The industry has no reason to change! Bob

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 02:55:25 PM »

That will be good deal Bob roof airs suck the way they are now

I forgot to mention that the bus at Taylors had a ONAN diesel inverter type generator and the AC's were inverter type either the generator didn't like the AC units or the AC's didn't care for the generator they had a tough time with communication so he didn't won't to fool with it anymore so out came the AC units

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: