Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 02, 2014, 01:42:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A/C condenser on outside of the bus?  (Read 1973 times)
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 04:58:22 PM »

I'm not sure I'm understanding correctly.  Is there a problem using the mini-splits with my generator?  I just have a 4K Onan right now (someday I hope to grow up and have a big one like you).

Robert, how do you get enough air flow in the internal compartments?

Dave

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 05:10:14 PM »

That is the question I am asking Dave so far no answers but a 4k is not going to run 3

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2012, 05:34:14 PM »

I don't plan to run three... not on the generator.  I would like to install three, then if I have pole power it would be available, but unlikely.  I don't go to AZ or TX.  I can't take heat, so I'll stick with northern states in the summer.  

I would like to be able to run two from the generator.  But to clarify the question, is there a problem with my generator power being clean enough for the mini-splits?

Dave
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 05:09:09 AM by Tikvah » Logged

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, 05:45:39 PM »

I am trying find that also guess it depends on the unit and I don't think your 4k is going to run 2 it may after start up 

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2012, 06:04:32 PM »

with the inverter style there is no power surge on start up and adjusting speed of fan or temp.  on the non inverter style it will dim the lights with a 12000 btu unit.  actual experience..  The 9000 pulls max amps of 6 amps includes start up (inverter) the 12000 inverter is around 8amps max . the non inverter style is much more but runs(12000) at about 9.7amps.   Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2012, 06:11:44 PM »

Actually Dave came up with a thought.  I notices the home unit had a fine coat of cotton wood seed on it covering the condenser. It didn't effect the unit. I cleaned it off of coarse. But clean condensers have been a problem with Cruise air and other ac systems so why couldn't we use a foam type precleaner like some window units have over them and keep intake air cleaner?  Just remembering the back of my MCI 8 use to get dirty.   Bob

Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2012, 05:15:06 AM »

My crazy idea is getting some traction in my mind.  It would solve a few issues. 
   One, I would free up some valuable bay space. 
   Two, I would have great air flow without creating an additional electrical load or cutting open sections of the bus for air. 
   Three, I could keep the generator in the bus A/C compartment. 
   Four, I could add an "engine-driven" A/C condenser in the same space as my generator (there is space still). 
   Five, I can keep my spare tire in the spare tire compartment.

Stop me before I jump off the deep end if I'm crazy.

Bob, it sounds like an "inverter type" A/C unit is the system of choice.  How much more expensive? 
Does anyone have a good source?

Dave

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2012, 05:40:53 AM »

(snip) Bob, it sounds like an "inverter type" A/C unit is the system of choice.  How much more expensive? 
Does anyone have a good source? 

I'd appreciate discussion on these points and info from people who have "been there" too.  Thanks,  Bruce H  NC   USA

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2012, 05:58:36 AM »

This is one I have on my "ready to purchase" list.
http://www.minisplitshop.com/store/product.php?productid=261&cat=0&page=1
$460 and free shipping.

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2012, 06:07:50 AM »

suggest if you don't have heat source get one that does both. I know works well down to 12F that's my hands on experience. have not tried any lower. Bob

Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2012, 06:28:04 AM »

$460 and free shipping.   

Are you ordering the 9KBTU or the 12.5?  It would seem worthwhile to go with the 12.5; it's the same package size, minimal sound level difference, and only a small additional power draw for ~35% more cooling. 

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2012, 07:02:08 AM »

I trust Bob if he gives a take on something it works for him but his bus is parked on the power pole.

I know that Jeff Foreman hangs around here (sure there are others) and is 1 of largest mechanical contractors in the Phoenix area I would like the mechanical guys take on the units for mobile use Nick where are you lol 

I do know the inverter type generator produces the cleanest power at a cost through all the electronic crap they have, electronic boards and dirty generator power don't do good sometimes the power goes to the board first it tells the unit what it wants done right or wrong ?

For the life of me I cannot see a 9000 btu unit out performing a 13,000 or 15,000 unit btu's are btu's ? the SEAR  rating I cannot see a advantage in a RV's 

I am missing something here guys help me out I have been to the Coleman factory in KS saw the way BTU's on their unit are measured 

I have been to Goodman plant in Houston I saw the way they determined the BTU's on the house units same deal no difference in the 2 this very confusing to me lol help me understand this

Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2012, 07:25:43 AM »

$460 and free shipping.   

Are you ordering the 9KBTU or the 12.5?  It would seem worthwhile to go with the 12.5; it's the same package size, minimal sound level difference, and only a small additional power draw for ~35% more cooling. 

I planned to use a 9000 unit in the bedroom, and the 12,000 up front.  The one in the middle could be either.

Dave

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2012, 07:41:43 AM »

(snip)  For the life of me I cannot see a 9000 btu unit out performing a 13,000 or 15,000 unit btu's are btu's ? the SEAR  rating I cannot see a advantage in a RV's  

For my bus, I can't use any kind of rooftop air conditioner.  So for me, it's going to have to be a unit like "basement air" or something like a mini-split.  The 15KBTU roof tops are fine but I can't see any way to use one (although I am following Tom C's "ducted" installation very closely).  I am also disallowing Garhawk's "redneck air conditioner" installation -- ie. a window unit from Home Depot stuck in the window and propped up with a 2X4 -- lol, as you'd say!

I haven't made up my mind, but packaging is making me look at mini-splits.  Even if they're no better than a roof top, that would be fine - it looks like they'll fit in my bus.  And the good SEER means low power use for the same amount of cool -- and that's gotta be a good thing.  And I see what you say about Bob being on a power pole a lot and looking at an electric bill but more power costs more more money if it comes from a generator or an engine alternator, too.  I don't trust published numbers blindly but I have to say that the power requirements (amps) for the mini-splits look good compared to rooftops.

I am concerned about "dirty power" causing problems and also about vibration and road shock damage but I like Mr. Glines's solutions to these issues.  I agree that it would be good to hear from people who deal with these things for a living, and I guess time and use will tell us a lot, too.

Thanks for keeping this conversation going.   Bruce H  NC  USA

Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2012, 07:45:23 AM »

$460 and free shipping.   

I planned to use a 9000 unit in the bedroom, and the 12,000 up front.  The one in the middle could be either.   Dave

I have a 10K generator and a 50Amp shore system so I figger I have a pretty good supply of power.  I'll go with the 12.5's everywhere, I think.  Thanks for your input and thanks for the link direct to the 'minisplit' website.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: