Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 18, 2014, 10:21:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A/C condenser on outside of the bus?  (Read 2247 times)
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2012, 08:08:47 AM »

I am concerned about "dirty power" causing problems

I would like someone to address this issue.  Are the mini-splits overly sensitive so that they risk damage from our generators? 

Dave

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2012, 08:15:03 AM »

I doubt the splits would cause generator problems maybe the other way around dirty power will do sensitive electronics damage that why most electric fridges are ran through the inverter on RV's so I was told

I do know for a fact generators if not set right will do the control board damage on the ducted RV AC unit like a Carrier or others and the 110 control board on the RV fridges 

With the splits I have no idea but I have seen 3 replaced on the split units switching from shore to generator that is all I know
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 08:31:35 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2012, 09:52:11 AM »

Maybe Jerry and others that have been running Minni for years will see and chime in. I know Dwayne have been in use for 5 yrs.. I think Jerry steps his voltage up to the 208 units. I'm learning as I go and will adjust. I built basement air out of 2ea window ac and it worked for 7yrs till I had a ground failure that surged 220 to a unit and fried one compressor. left one basement running. the ground failure was in a 50 amp factory plug end and was intermittent.  Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2012, 10:42:07 AM »

(snip)  I think Jerry steps his voltage up to the 208 units.  (snip) 

Does Jerry run 3-phase?  If so, I hope that he'll tell us why.  Thanks for the info, I really appreciate the guidance on this one.  Best wishes,   BH  NC USA

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2012, 11:11:34 AM »

Actually I was confused to : my house unit was advertised 208-230  when I got it it just showed hooking up two hot wires to it  (line 1  and line2) and green to case-- what I consider safety ground.  It runs  9 am draw 24000 btu.  The same way we hook up some three phase motors and make them run on non three phase current.  I DO NOT UNDERSTAND.  not yelling  I just don't. Just might be 220 without ground.  past me. I understand Jerry steps up voltage. Maybe to 220 with ground.   I don't understand this inverter DC 48volt theory just know it's working.  Prob would fry my brain LOL   Bob

Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2012, 11:29:39 AM »

(snip) .  Prob would fry my brain LOL   Bob 

If it's got those electrictron things, it *will* fry mine!  But usually 208V is 3-phase but that's about all this inexperience mind knows.  That big a capacity unit would be wonderful if it would run on 120V.  I'm looking forward to more info so I can understand.   

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2012, 02:03:56 PM »

3 phase compressors are only used in commercial refrigeration and you cannot start one on a single phase 

I followed advice here on how to start a 3 phase electric motor on single phase and can tell you for sure it doesn't work on a 3 phase Copeland compressor and I cannot see a single phase compressor working on 3 phase either

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2012, 03:34:01 PM »

208 volt can also be single phase.  A building that has 208 three phase can supply 208 volt as single phase.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2012, 03:39:13 PM »

This topic is sliding off the wrong side of the hill.  I don't mind, but I'm still looking for ideas and advice.  

Any problems placing the condensers outside the bus?  
Is there a problem with generators not producing clean power that will affect the Mini-Splits?
Those who use the Mini-Splits already, If installed in the bay, how do you get enough air flow over the condensers?

I'm only using 4K 115V

Dave

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2012, 03:49:07 PM »

On a 3 phase building using a single phase 208v what do use as a return path for a AC unit ?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 04:33:56 PM by luvrbus » Logged

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2012, 04:28:39 PM »

I know it does Dave but is sort of relevant, if your gen set has two legs. two separate line feeds.  Clifford no return path.  I don't know how it works.  Dave many have been run successfully on gen sets. The question at hand I think is can the be run on inverter style gen sets? which yours is not.  Sorry for thread drift.  We are all looking for answers also. Looking to be noted the ones Clifford mentioned were run (if I remember rite) almost 100 thousand miles. Probably more miles than I will ever put on mine and I assure you I will watch mine more than a driver for hire.  Good solid mount and solid line mount will be the secret to success. In bay a vented exit the size of fan blade on condenser and a larger intake with forced air from supplemental fan to overcome road vacuum when driving. When parked no need for extra fan. I know that from experience. suck in bottom exit out side..   The fan moves allot of air and is variable speed as needed.  I did seal fan exhaust against door with soft rubber so it would not recirculate it's own exhaust air.  Bob
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 04:32:05 PM by robertglines1 » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: