Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 02:37:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Veterans, off topic  (Read 3610 times)
Connel
Eagle 05 w/Ser60 & HD4060PR

Day Eagle landed & before total rebuild.

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2006, 06:14:49 PM »

Chief Petty Officer (retired)
Viet Nam 68-70
24 yrs in reserves after Nam.
Sure did not tell anyone you were in Nam or the fight was on.  Sure wish we had received a thank-you when we came back.  But, that is water under the bridge and I enjoy showing my pride it todays vets.

Central Oklahoma

Refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
gg04

Full throttle 'til you see God

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2006, 07:11:23 AM »

11b  E1 to E6  to E5..23d Infantry Div...   The Americal....gg04

If you personally have not done it  , or saw it done.. do not say it cannot be done...1960 4104 6L71ta ddec Falfurrias Tx
TomNPat

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2006, 01:06:06 AM »

Too bad that Ryoko didn't address Social Security while he was at it.  Probably would hurt him too much to do so.

As part of my application, SSA asked if I had served in the Armed Forces.  I replied proudly that I did.  They said they needed a copy of my discharge papers (DD 315, 213, Huh?) to complete my application.  Cost $20 and took a month to get them.  But my benefits would start as soon as I submitted same.  A young man at the Social Security called a month later to ask if I had submitted same.  "Yes, I sent it registered two days ago."  His replly "Good, then we can process your application as soon as we receive it." 

Thinking that this was necessary to weed out those who skipped the country in 1966 when I was drafted, I asked why they needed this information.  "Do I get more money because of my service time?"  His reply "Yes you do!  Each veteran gets an additional $8 per month!"

Based on a future value calculation, the month I was delayed benefits will be paid back somewhere 10 years down the road.  This is the thanks the government provides for someone who started working for them (with a college degree) for $78 per month when a good months pay for my fellow graduates was around $600 per month. 

I am proud that I served.  I'm not complaining.  If I had it to do again I'd still choose duty and country.
But the part of Ryoko's about the government workers getting Veterans Day off irritated me.

Saw a bumper sticker the other day that said "I Love My Country but I Fear My Government".  Probably right!  Happy Veterans Day!

TomNPat
eglluvr

The Quest is But The Beginning...

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2006, 06:13:11 AM »

Too bad that Ryoko didn't address Social Security while he was at it.  Probably would hurt him too much to do so.

As part of my application, SSA asked if I had served in the Armed Forces.  I replied proudly that I did.  They said they needed a copy of my discharge papers (DD 315, 213, Huh?) to complete my application.  Cost $20 and took a month to get them.  But my benefits would start as soon as I submitted same.  A young man at the Social Security called a month later to ask if I had submitted same.  "Yes, I sent it registered two days ago."  His replly "Good, then we can process your application as soon as we receive it." 

Thinking that this was necessary to weed out those who skipped the country in 1966 when I was drafted, I asked why they needed this information.  "Do I get more money because of my service time?"  His reply "Yes you do!  Each veteran gets an additional $8 per month!"

Based on a future value calculation, the month I was delayed benefits will be paid back somewhere 10 years down the road.  This is the thanks the government provides for someone who started working for them (with a college degree) for $78 per month when a good months pay for my fellow graduates was around $600 per month. 

I am proud that I served.  I'm not complaining.  If I had it to do again I'd still choose duty and country.
But the part of Ryoko's about the government workers getting Veterans Day off irritated me.

Saw a bumper sticker the other day that said "I Love My Country but I Fear My Government".  Probably right!  Happy Veterans Day!

TomNPat

Don't know the whole story, But if any Vet is looking for official paperwork, The now have the requests online.  I got copies of my DD214's in about a week.  http://www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/

HTH,

Jim
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2006, 11:32:51 AM »

I will not address the Social Security issue in an official capacity, even though I work for SSA and am damn proud of it.  I am not allowed to answer questions or complaints in my official capacity unless on the clock.  But I can tell you, Social Security is filled with dedicated men and women who love their country (especially me).  I didn't serve in the military, but I feel that I am serving my country as an employee of Social Security.  What I do matters a whole hell of a lot to people who depend on their Social Security checks to keep from having to eat cat food. 

Are there problems with the system?  Yes there are.  But as a whole, SSA has the highest customer satisfaction rating of any other government agency.  I'm sorry Tom had such a negative experience, but there are ways to "partial" a claim pending proof of military service.  And, we can get that info online now.  BTW, you know, SSA does need documentation to pay benefits.  The dishonest people make it hard on everybody.  We do the best we can with what we have been given by the politicians, who are elected by people who sit around and gripe that they are not getting a $50,000 a month pension...

Please don't misunderstand me, I love our veterans.  And what did I do on Veterans Day, I called my great uncle Pruitt, in Louisville, MS, and talked for an hour.  I thanked him for flying B29 bombers during WW II and risking his life and family's future for our country.  I wanted him to know that I am grateful for his sacrifice.  I would have called my grandfather, but he's in a semi-vegetative state in a nursing home back home.  He hasn't been able to speak for several years now.  But you better believe I appreciate it.

To all of you veterans who served, to all of you who have children serving right now, I want you to know that I could never express my gratitude enough for what you are giving up or gave up for America.  I'm sorry that having a special day set aside to honor your service and sacrifice is offensive to some of you.  I guess everybody has to be offended by something.

Jimmy 

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: