Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 26, 2014, 10:13:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More Jake Brake Questions  (Read 2504 times)
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2006, 03:30:18 PM »

I like Russ' rephrase! Yes, you do make a good point, Jerry. Are you certain that modern Hound coaches don't have some sort of retarder on them (trannny, etc.)? If so, I'm surprised. Just about every heavy truck out west has 'em.

Anyways, being able to descend grades without touching the service brakes makes it much less stressful for the driver, and certainly extends the life of shoes and drums. I sure like my OPTIONAL safety device! I've done it both ways, with and without Jakes, and now won't go west of I-25 without 'em.

bb

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
kbunnystarr

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2006, 03:32:08 PM »

ok so with the statements jsut made and......other types of engine brakes, as well as hydraulic transmission and electrical driveline retarders."
 being said.........let me rephrase......if i want to add an additional some form of breakign system, are any of the above mentioned better or equal to the jake and is there a huge price difference.  i have a big expense with this tranny, but am considering my options and would like to add something but am still a bit confused on choices.........is it just preference?  or is one WAY better than the others, or..............?

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2006, 04:16:15 PM »

Jake will be the cheapest to install.  You can only install a hydraulic retarder on a V731 which is electronic.  Yours is a V730 mechanical. The drive line is too short for a Telma (which is close to $11,000.00 installed).  IN the case of a V drive, the jake brake is just about the only choice.

I believe, that if the bus has a Series 60 or 50, they automatically come with Jakes-including the Hounds.  Good LUck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
belfert

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2006, 04:40:33 PM »

Not all Series 60 engines come with a Jake.  All Dina Viaggios have the Series 60, but I have seen plenty without a Jake.  Some have the Telma retarder and some have no auxiliary braking.  My Dina has a Jake brake.

Brian Elfert
Steve

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2006, 06:52:06 PM »

If you are checking around, go to dnaparts.com, in Bakersfield, and get a quote from Jerry, in service, for the jake install. You will be going right by their shop to get to Santa Cruz, if you stay on hwy 99 instead of taking I-5 at the bottom of the grapevine, or if you come hwy 58. You will never regret having the jakes and they allow longer intervals between necessary brake adjustments.  Steve
larryh
4905A-893 P8M

ready to run with the big dogs

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2006, 07:40:47 PM »

Kbunny star

The last used jakes i installed on a 318 was purchased for 500 and I charged 500 to install it takes about 6 hours to install and set up. If you buy a used set make sure you get a set for 318 if that is what engine u have get the new fuel crossover tubes, new rocker covers standard high cover for right side and depending on which model bus the low profile cover for the left side and gaskets. There usually is some modifications on rocker arms that has to be done to fit jake cradle / bridge  this will include setting the valves and injector timing plus jake settings and the wiring I usually insist on a one/two bank setup so if on rain/ice slick road u can use one bank if road is slick or turn off completely as they can lock up rear end and induce a slide with rear wheels locked. it's not as bad on a two stroke as per say a cummings 4 stroke engine. so I would say you can expect to spend used from 1000 to 2500 for a jake setup and yes as a bus owner/ professional mechanic for 43 years best investment you can do for a green heavy equipt driver which u became when you purchased the bus be safe and install I come down cabbage patch except for the two corners at 50 mph and only hit brakes on two mentioned corners no more white knuckle  rides and stained shorts .

LarryH

Savvy ponderable:
A cowboy's only afraid of two things:
havin' ta walk,
and the love of a good woman.
"This posting was generated using an environmentally friendly, self contained flatulence generator, therefore no fossils or neutrons were harmed in the creation of this posting.

Quartzsite,
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2006, 08:36:28 PM »

If you read the other Jakes thread, I fixed my Jakes today. As an FYI for the archives, I took photos of what a Jakes setup looks like. In the top photos: the four big assemblies on top attach to the heads. You'll see two silver-ish solenoids sticking out of the bottom. Wires attach to these and when energized, push down forks that hold the exhaust valves shut. You'll also see the fuel crossover tubes.

HTH,
Brian B.

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2006, 08:36:51 PM »

And a bit more detail...

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2006, 08:41:04 PM »

Kristen -

Agree with Steve regarding Delaney & Ahlf in Bakersfield - excellent shop!!

Brian -

Must be using good oil. . . everything's nice & clean inside!

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: