Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 11:28:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starter Problem (maybe) + Generator question  (Read 440 times)
pabusnut

P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731

Ignore
« on: August 02, 2012, 05:47:47 PM »

OK-- My 1973 4905(8V71, man trans)has been in the shop for rebuild of the power steering ram cylinder for about the last 3 weeks.  Expensive to say the least--$1100 to rebuild the cylinder with my parts!!!

Today they get it all back together and go to start it to get all the air out of the cylinder, and the bus won't start.  They report that it was throwing sparks down to the floor like a welder when they pushed the start button.  They tried using a jumper wire to the selenoid and bypass the switch, but it did nothing.  They also tried manually pushing in the selenoid with a broomstick, but again nothing.  (Note --the starter seemed to work flawlessly prior to taking it in to get the steering worked on.)

So they started to remove the starter, and then they called me.  I stopped by and looked, but can't diagnose much as they had the giant cable off that goes from the generator to the starter(which is missing much of the insulation near the ends and obviously needs replaced).  I told them to continue to get the thing off and bench test it--rebuild if necessary

Now for the part I completely don't understand.  The mechanic put his meter on the positive post at the generator(which now has nothing hooked to it), and was getting like 80 ohms resistance between it and the block, which I thought should be infinite.

Any thoughts(other than I got taken on the steering cylinder rebuild)??

Thanks!

Steve Toomey
pabusnut

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 05:54:54 PM »

He probably broke the insulated stud on the alternator it is easy to do trust me lol not much wiggle room on that stud least bit of movement without holding a back up you have a problem  

FWIW a 4905 has a 24 volt D50 gear driven oil cooled alternator not a generator one of the few GM 24volts where did you go Sean 3 posts just vanished  lol
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 06:39:23 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
pabusnut

P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 06:46:31 PM »

I guess I assumed alternator.

Now that both these boards look alike I get confused too! Grin

steve

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
luvrbus