Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 26, 2014, 12:54:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to me Prevost - Level low issue  (Read 1875 times)
joe

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 03:33:05 AM »

Thanks for the many posts and suggestions.

1993 Prevost LeMirage XL, 8V92TA  Allison HT-755CR
1994 Angola Conversion
stevet903

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 04:26:13 AM »

Here's a good post on how to make a bubble solution -

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=20295.0

The glycerin or corn syrup makes it last longer and helps you to see the smaller leaks...
rip

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 05:09:23 AM »

I have an 85 Prevost and I fought my air leaks for a few years until I finally put on a set of Big Foot levelers.I just love the system and my only regret was I wish I would have done it when I first did my conversion.I full timed for seven years so I could justify the cost.I like the fact when you set up you dump the air out of your bags and your bus is rock solid.Makes a big difference when you are in high winds and big storms.
   Don
edroelle

1998 Royale Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2012, 09:27:29 AM »

"I'll start checking all the exhaust ports I can find for leaks. If I find one (or more) is the best course to replace or rebuild the valve?"

Joe,

I have found that the internals of the Norgren valves get corroded and the bores pitted.   They will leak and work intermittently.    "O" rings looked OK.  Thus, in my experience, there is no choice but to replace the valves.    A careful, difficult analysis can identify the bad valve/s to minimize the number changed.   One reason the valves corrode is from moisture in the air system.   Make sure your air dryer has been changed.

Ed Roelle
Flint, MI
joe

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2012, 05:00:02 PM »

"I'll start checking all the exhaust ports I can find for leaks. If I find one (or more) is the best course to replace or rebuild the valve?"

Joe,

I have found that the internals of the Norgren valves get corroded and the bores pitted.   They will leak and work intermittently.    "O" rings looked OK.  Thus, in my experience, there is no choice but to replace the valves.    A careful, difficult analysis can identify the bad valve/s to minimize the number changed.   One reason the valves corrode is from moisture in the air system.   Make sure your air dryer has been changed.

Ed Roelle
Flint, MI

Changing the dryer is on the do it soon list. I'm still going back thru the record I have to see when specific things were done. Ive got to look for that one again.

Thanks for all the replys. 

1994 Angola Conversion
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2012, 07:26:36 PM »

Joe,this is off topic kinda on that but did you find any reason or paper work on why the heads and oil pan have been taken off before that part scared me on a lo mileage 8V92 engine ? Low oil pressure and overheating will shut a DDEC down 

I am just curios why the heads and pan were remove and both heads were removed  
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 07:32:34 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
joe

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2012, 04:38:09 AM »

Joe,this is off topic kinda on that but did you find any reason or paper work on why the heads and oil pan have been taken off before that part scared me on a lo mileage 8V92 engine ? Low oil pressure and overheating will shut a DDEC down 

I am just curios why the heads and pan were remove and both heads were removed  

Not sure if you have confused Joe(s) or buses. But to directly answer your question. This bus had a complete rebuild about 20,000 miles ago Or when it only had about 80,000 miles on it.

According to the PO it was right after he purchased the coach. He was on I-70 west bound out of Denver and he drive it till it seized. Stewart and Stevenson did the rebuild.  They did not try and rod the radiator. New radiator from prevost. Blamed on the use of the wrong coolant.  All 8 cylinder kits. new main and rod bearings. new injector assembly. Below is the summary from the bill. (yes I asked and got papers on the advertised rebuild). I never got a clear answer as to why the DDEC did not interlock it down but was told all those systems work now.

Engine runs good. No leaks as it sits and it did not burn/leak any oil on the 1000 mile trip.

COMPLAINT:ENGINE SEIZED

CAUSE:OVERHEAT,RADIATOR PLUG,

CORRECTION:REMOVED AIR BOX COVERS,INSPECTED CYLINDERS,ALL CYLINDERS SCORED,REMOVED
CYLINDER HEADS,FOUND SEVERAL PISTONS SEIZED IN CYLINDERSj
DRAINED OIL,REMOVED OIL PAN,REMOVED ROD CAPS,REMOVED CYLINDER KITS,
CHECKED CYL HEADS FOR CRACKS AND LEAKING,HEADS CHECKED GOOD.INSPECTED
INSIDE OF RADIATOR,FOUND RADIATOR CORES PLUGGED SOLID,ORDERED NEW RADIATOR FROM
PREVOST.BUILT AND INSTALLED NEW CYLINDER KITS WITH NEW ROD AND
MAIN BEARINGS.INSTALLED OIL PANJNSTALLED CYLINDER HEADS,
OVERHEADJNSTALL VALVE COVERS,HOSES,P1PING AND EXHAUST.
INSTALL NEW RADIATOR,FILL WITH OIL AND COOLANT,START AND
ROAD TEST,ALL OK,

1994 Angola Conversion
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2012, 10:54:23 AM »

Joe, to cause that the PO must have been using the override the DDEC is one smart cookie it has to be human stupidity to cause that the ECM is in full control unless a owner out smarts it 

I just noticed the engine had been gone into is why I asked a rebuild at 80,000 miles unbelievable if it was warranty work the whole engine would have been replaced   

I bet that was a 12 to 15 thousand dollar you take care of the 8v92 and it will serve you well for years

thanks for the info

good luck   

Life is short drink the good wine first
joe

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2012, 11:27:38 AM »

Joe, to cause that the PO must have been using the override the DDEC is one smart cookie it has to be human stupidity to cause that the ECM is in full control unless a owner out smarts it 

I just noticed the engine had been gone into is why I asked a rebuild at 80,000 miles unbelievable if it was warranty work the whole engine would have been replaced   

I bet that was a 12 to 15 thousand dollar you take care of the 8v92 and it will serve you well for years

thanks for the info

good luck   

He would not tell me he used the override, but when I was asking him what happened, he left me with the impression it was his fault.

It was a $14,000 bill. 

1994 Angola Conversion
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: