Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 08:45:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: black tank vent question  (Read 523 times)
wal1809

Ignore
« on: August 08, 2012, 10:50:52 AM »

I don't get it.  Inside of the bus there is a vaccum as your going down the road.  Black tank is sealed closed with the only opening being the pipe twix the toilet and the tank.  Vaccum draws stinky air into the bus.  It is a sealed tank which is probably letting sir through where the 3 inch pipe goes into the tank.

The part I don't get is if I vent the black tank won't it be like direct exterior air getting sucked in the vent and up through the pipe into the bus?  Would it not be like opening it up to provide more stinky air?

Can somebody explain tis to me please?

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 11:41:24 AM »

While driving or when the wind blows,  the vent through the roof acts like a vacuum and it pulls the air in the black tank out.  Fresh air from inside your coach is pulled through the flap and any other places it can. 

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 11:59:24 AM »

If you have an RV toilet, I think the way the odor is getting into the bus is through the overflow hose. You can plug it, but then if your toilet water supply valve leaks you will flood the floor. You can test if your overflow is working by filling the toilet with water and see if the level will stay just below the rim of the bowl. Venting the holding tank should eliminate the odor even with the overflow hose open. If you have a home type toilet you have another problem.

Good luck, Sam

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »

I don't have a vent in the roof.  I can fill up my toilet all the way.  It gets to a certain point and stops filling.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 05:55:25 PM »

Yea I can probably fill mine almost to the top but my vent would act as an overflow from being at the top and exiting downward thru the bay floor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
gus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 12:06:40 PM »

A floor vent works just as well as a roof vent and is  a lot easier to install. I have one of each and can't tell the difference.

With no vent you will suck all the traps dry when dumping and get tank odor through them.

Dumping a large tank could also collapse the tank or damage drain pipes/connections.

No vent can allow dangerous amounts of methane gas in the tank, it depends!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: