Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
November 21, 2017, 08:03:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: need help in Osoyoos British Columbia  (Read 2207 times)
Don4107

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 03:10:16 PM »

< FWIW that line is supposed to be made of steel if you replaced it with copper it will crack again, a 8v71 or any 2 strokes have no copper lines anywhere>

Good info there.  I am the new owner of a 5B and on the trip home wife said when going up steep on-ramp that there was smoke from the right side of engine.  Found power steering fluid leaking.  The copper tube vent line from the sight glass to he reservoir was in three pieces. The center was soldered/brazed to a steel line. Broken on each side of the weld.  When going uphill it dumped on the exhaust manifold. 

Replaced it with copper and supported it.  Should it be steel or would hose be better?  It is right above the manifold and would see a fair amount of heat.

Thanks
Don 4107, 5B, GMC schoolie

Don 4107 Eastern Washington
1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter
Larry B

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 06:50:34 PM »

That is good info to know-  that an 8-71 should have no copper tubing lines on it. I will change that copper before I make a trip to Manitoba in a few weeks.Thanks Clifford.  Yes Brian it was the oil supply line to power steering pump. Joe Usher and his mechanic are the the people to see if you ever need help in Osoyoos. High recommend them and very fair prices. I am glad to see I am not the only odd ball that likes the sound of jake brakes.
     Larry B

1977 MCI-5B---
8V71- 4speed man
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 07:32:13 PM »

Larry B, 1/4 inch copper tubing most of it has a rating of 100 lbs at 150 degrees you are running over 200 degrees at 60 lbs heat makes it brittle and it cracks or brakes so I was told by Detroit so they don't recommend copper tubing any place on the engine

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: