Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 26, 2014, 12:10:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus fulltimers, where do you store your bicycles?!  (Read 2320 times)
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« on: August 31, 2012, 01:01:39 PM »

We have been full timing for over a year now but are forever struggling with where to put our two bikes. They don't fit nicely in the bay, they don't easily go into the coach, they rust or get stolen if just left outside in the open. We just dropped some dough on two brand new Treks and would like to keep them safe and dry. Should I make some sort of canvas covered temporary bike garage out of PVC that I can tear down when we move?

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 01:50:36 PM »

I would put a bike carrier on the rear hitch and chain and cover the bikes.  You could use a trailer break-away switch to operate an alarm if they are messed with.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 05:27:42 PM »

I carry a folding bicycle in the spare tire compartment.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 05:37:53 PM »

I only use mine in Yuma during the 6-7 months that we are there....the rest of the time it is in a storage unit.  I don't want the hassle of hauling it with us when we travel.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 06:57:18 PM »

My wife's  foldup goes in the bay unless she wants to ride, which is way too seldom. My mountain bike, which I ride every day gets a tarp and bungees and has its special place in front of the bus. When we move, I pop off the front wheel and turn the bars sideways and she slips into a bay. Fulltiming and having interests can be a challenge some times, but we live through them. You should see our entertainment system.... Smiley

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 07:22:13 PM »

Think you have a problem Scott my wife got a new CatTrike recumbent bike for her birthday try and find a place for that damn thing lol but at least now I don't have to put up with the scooters anymore

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 11:08:05 PM »

We still haven't figured this one out.. and why don't own bikes yet.  A future research project is finding full size foldable bikes that we might be able to fit in a bay, or even in the back of the MINI.

We used to travel with bikes in our former trailer/truck combo.  But it was a PITA.  One set got stolen, another the lock completed rusted out and we couldn't separate them. So we gave up. No storing them outside.

- Cherie

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 05:31:17 AM »

Linear recumbent LWB, USS      Ford Windstar, third seat discarded.   Some would call it a mini van, I called it a shed! JIm

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 05:58:21 AM »

Check out bikes by Montague.  I have a "Hummer" model that folds up very nicely.  Found it on clearance at Sam's Club a few years ago.

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 10:20:53 AM »

Scott - You think you have challenges Smiley

Try 6 bikes.  We love to bike so we definitely will be bringing them.  This is one of many things we are trying to come up with a solution for.

We are thinking folding bikes - At least 2 to 3 of them.  And then having a 4-bike carrier that connects to either the towbar behind the bus, roof of the TOAD or behind the toad for travel.  As far as storage while we are parked - it may be just locking them together and covering with a tarp.

The bikes are a "must have" for us.  I'd love to see what you end up with for a solution.

-The Turtles.

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 10:59:18 AM »

We carry two "mountain bikes" in the bay with the front wheels removed. I built mounting brackets that hold them in place with a couple of bungees. They are always there and quick enough to set up when you want to take off for a ride. They really take a minimum of space on one side of the bay for the convenience of having them whenever we want them. Lots of time it is much easier to get around (especially in crowds of people) with a bicycle rather than a car. If you want pictures of how we store them I will post some.

HTH YMMV

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 04:51:31 PM »

One reason I chose a forty-foot bus instead of something smaller is to have sufficient space inside to store my bikes.   I'll keep only four of my present fleet of bikes (I had seven at one time!), but they will stay inside  -  outside storage is out of the question.   I plan on having two bikes (the heaviest ones) on their wheels and two hanging from ceiling hooks, and each pair of bikes would alternate fore/aft.   This avoids pedals and handlebars fighting for space or scraping frames, but each bike would be fairly easily accessible.   This will take a space six feet long and about three feet wide, and I'll devote the area behind the driver's seat to them.

For me, bicycles are a vitally important part of my life  - I rode across country some years ago, and I plan on doing more long rides in the future, even if/when the bus will be my primary home.   It's worth me devoting space to their safe storage inside:  this is what makes bus conversions so interesting, as each one reflects the owner's priorities.

John
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 04:58:29 PM by Iceni John » Logged

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 08:11:19 PM »

Hmmm. You guys have me thinking. I must say a recumbent bike is insane and I'll never have one as long as we are full timing. I have an idea and I'm going to experiment tomorrow...

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 05:45:58 AM »

Insanity = Any of various conditions characterized by impairment of an individual's normal cognitive, emotional, or behavioral functioning, and caused by social, psychological, biochemical, genetic, or other factors, such as infection or head trauma. Also called emotional illness, mental disease, mental disorder.

Buses would meet this criteria recumbent's do not  Grin  JIm

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 07:45:29 PM »

Hmmm. You guys have me thinking. I must say a recumbent bike is insane and I'll never have one as long as we are full timing. I have an idea and I'm going to experiment tomorrow...

Okay Scott, the suspense is killing me. What have you come up with? Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: