Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 08:22:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel Mileage  (Read 4664 times)
garhawk

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 07:59:38 AM »

Hi Seville,

Fuel milage on my Model 20 Eagle with Series 60 automatic is:

65 mph cruise control
towing 2800 lb
7.3 mpg

running bus air (only)
towing 2800 lb
6.2 mpg

running 15kw generator (no bus air)
powering 3 rooftop ACs
6.0 mpg

I haven't checked the mileage using both AC systems simultaneously. 

gary t'berry
Eagle Mod 20 DD ser 60 w/slide
GMC RTS 102"  40er (in progress)
Seville

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 08:25:44 AM »

Thanks for all the great feedback everybody ! 

RJ.. I don't know what size injectors I have nor about the rear axle but will most definitely look into that.
Thanks for the tip, if I could get 350 HP, I would be one happy camper.

Gary.. I have to say a model 20 Eagle with a Series 60 sounds like a sweet rig! That must be a pleasure to drive.

So, I guess we are all in the ball park of where we should be ? However, it would be nice if I could get my 5.6 up to 7 and change.
Every little bit helps with a coach. I'm relatively light compared to a lot of you guys. I weigh in at about 30,000 lbs.

Thanks again for all the feedback ! It's real nice to post a question and get so many answers from people who really know their stuff!

New York City
1984 MC9 6v92T
lvmci

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 07:52:25 PM »

Hi All, last Jan, palmdale/lancaster Edwards AFB, ca, to quartzsite, az thru palm springs up the long grade east of p.s., towing 93 wrangler hardtop, 7.4 mpg, lvmci...

MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
garhawk

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 07:51:07 AM »

Hey Guys,

You boys (and girls) are going to be sick when Hard Headed Ken returns from his vacation next week.  He's going to report fuel mileage over the 12 mpg mark with the new Series 60 in his Prevost.  It's equipped with a standard shift automatic - at least that's what I thought after riding in it.

I led us home from BK's get-together last week @ 65 mph on cruise.  Ken later said he believes he should move on up to 70 mph for a little better fuel burn.

Speaking of fuel burn, how about the luck of Eric Brown up in S.C.?  Seems he bought some $2.97 fuel when he returned home from the Nashville Eagle rally in May.  He hasn't driven the Eagle since and, he's looking for a few more 5 gallon buckets.  He's scheduled for the Eagle rally in Branson, Mo. come October and no way is he wasteing that good cheap fuel on such a long run. With diesel prices skyrocketing, he's draining it all out so he'll have the good cheap stuff when he returns.  Anyone wishing to donate a 5 gal bucket to such a good cause, call Eric @ BR549!

gary t'berry
Eagle Mod 20 DD ser 60 w/slide
GMC RTS 102"  40er (in progress)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 08:30:26 AM »

All 60 series with the same hp at the same rpm will use the same amount of fuel in any application it all depends on the gearing and what you do with it a typical 60 series producing 425 hp @ 1800 rpm will use 20 gals a hour keep the rpm low for the speed and they will get you fuel mileage so will any engine

How many miles per gal of water do you use Gary  sorry the devil made me do that  lol
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 09:15:46 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Hard Headed Ken

1988 Prevost Angola Conversion Repowered With 14L Series 60 & Eaton Ultrashift

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2012, 08:51:34 AM »

Hey Guys,

You boys (and girls) are going to be sick when Hard Headed Ken returns from his vacation next week.  He's going to report fuel mileage over the 12 mpg mark with the new Series 60 in his Prevost.  It's equipped with a standard shift automatic - at least that's what I thought after riding in it.

I led us home from BK's get-together last week @ 65 mph on cruise.  Ken later said he believes he should move on up to 70 mph for a little better fuel burn.

It's hard for me believe what my Prodriver is telling me. I'm leaving Panama City in the morning and I'll fill up at I-10. When I left Smyrna I filled up, I leaned the bus over to the left and filled until I could see fuel in the filler neck and I will do the same tomorrow. I'll be surprised if the Prodriver's estimated fuel mileage is correct, but with my 8V92 at 6 MPG it would usually take about 1/2 tank to get here at just under 500 miles. I came a different route this time, 540 miles and I used about a needle's width over a 1/4 tank. That's much better, twice as good?? The jury is still out until tomorrow.   

Ken

Link to my engine swap slide show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxAFFBcoTQI
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012, 09:28:31 AM »

If going for fuel mileage Ken has the right setup you cannot do that with a Allison like a B 500 and other models of the World transmissions gearing is very important that why they need to be in the 4:00+ gearing they don't cool or lubricate at slow shaft rpms in overdrive when that happens you part with 10,000 bucks

Ace

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2012, 02:23:17 PM »

Stupid question

Ken how did you get a prodriver to work with your 8v-92?
I've been wanting one for years but was told they only work on series 60's. Thats why I opted for the silverleaf which in reality is just a toy or something to look at because it doesnt work with my ecm unless I upgrade the chip or some bs.
Anyway, please explain if you would and do you have a good source for the PD for 8v's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2012, 03:19:42 PM »

The Pro/Driver works on a 8V92 DDEC 111 but I could never get it to work on a DDEC 11 or 1 same with the SliverLeaf

Good luck

Hard Headed Ken

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2012, 04:00:13 PM »

Stupid question

Ken how did you get a prodriver to work with your 8v-92?
I've been wanting one for years but was told they only work on series 60's. Thats why I opted for the silverleaf which in reality is just a toy or something to look at because it doesnt work with my ecm unless I upgrade the chip or some bs.
Anyway, please explain if you would and do you have a good source for the PD for 8v's

Ace,
I didn't have a Prodriver on my 8V92, I put about 25,000 miles on the 8V92 and just divided something by something when I filled up, can't remember, I'm on vacation and drinking Margaritas. I think the stuff Clifford said is correct. There is a thread here on BCM about a software upgrade that includes a new Eprom for the DDEC II ECM, RV Safety Jim knows about it.

Ken

Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2012, 10:49:54 AM »

I have a silver leaf on my series 60. I have hecked it with my spedo, and gps. It is dead on with the speed of both.  Iunning a 12.7 DDECIV, allison 6 speed double over drive, 4:10 gear,and 11R24.5 tires. At 65 mph rpms are 1360. At 70, 1450. I did some comparisons. If I set the cruise at  63 mph on the average NOT CLIFFORDS BIG HILLS!!LOL), it will average over 10 mpg. If I cruise at 70, it drops to mid 9 mpg. I have been called blind, stupid, and a liar!!LOL, but I can prove it!!! I think driving style, bus weight, and the terrain make a big differance also. The 60 series builds a ton of tourque from 1100 to 1600 rpms, which helps a lot. Gary's 20 has the same set up as mine, but with a 740 tranny, and 3:73 gear. He was maxed out at 2150 rpms at 71 mph. We changed the gear to a 3:36 and got 78 mph at 2150 rpms. A few mph, but still at the top end of the engine rpms. My bus weighs app. 42k. His is probably close to that. Tha two strokes buils thier power at the top of the rpm range, but the big six cylinder 4 strokes build at low rpms. I think running high rpms on a four stroke would be a waste except maby in a marine app.. Just my two cents!!!
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2012, 12:58:40 PM »

Eriic hp is for racing torque for diesel engines the 60 series will make max torque at 1200 rpm max hp at 1800 rpm then the torque fall off above 1800 rpm 

Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2012, 03:46:27 PM »

I agree Clifford!!! GIVE ME TOURQUE! If I want hp, I climb on the busa!!
Hard Headed Ken

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2012, 08:02:29 PM »

Here's the results. The Prodriver said I used 52 gallons of fuel in 600 miles. As I was approaching I-10 this morning and looking at the fuel gauge I was thinking it's going to take about 70 gallons to fill this thing up (I've stuffed a lot of hundreds in that tank). It took 72 gallons, about 8.3 MPG, not almost 11 as the Prodriver indicated. The reason the Prodriver was off so much is my fault. I've made several modifications to the engine and the ECM Fueling table, I took a shortcut to adding fuel because I was too lazy to push about 10 extra keys and do some math. Because of my shortcut the ECM told the Prodriver I was using less fuel. Anyway, I know my mistake and I've fixed it. I'm disappointed, now it's back to the lab for more experiments.

Eric, I'm coming after you, I mean your fuel mileage of course. Even if those terrible things (I don't think all of them are true, I've seen you drive your bus and you were able to install the Series 60 in it) people have said about you being blind, stupid, and a liar are true at least 10 MPG gives me something to shoot for. To whoever says those terrible things about Eric I'm hoping for the same to be said about me sometime in the near future. 

Ken

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2012, 08:28:18 PM »

Brown will pull your leg Ken lol,he may get 10 Hal gets over 9 mpg with a 625 hp 14L series 60 with larger and heavier Eagle than Eric and Hal won't pull your leg

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: