Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 08:52:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how hard is it to cobble together a timer for my proheat X45 (or other 12V thing  (Read 541 times)
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« on: September 08, 2012, 01:39:47 PM »

I have a nice new proheat but it just has the on /off switch.  the unit is self contained so really only needs timer the opens and closes a contact at a specific time.  What would be a good source for an inexpensive programmable timer? Proheat timer costs $275 which seems a little high for a basic on off timer (12V)

Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 05:55:09 PM »

Webasto makes a timer for their Scholastic series, I don't know if it is any cheaper.  I only start my Webasto when I am watching it to make sure their are no air bubbles in the system that would cause it to overheat and blow a fuse.

--Geoff

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 06:07:44 AM »

If you just want a timer that you set manually to run the unit for a set period of time, get a wind-up Intermatic timer at the hardware store.  These are the timers you see in bathrooms to make the heat lamp work, or on hotel spas to run the jets, etc..  They come in a variety of time lengths, from 15 minutes to 2 hours.  You turn the knob to the time you want.

If you want something that will turn the unit on when you are not around, get a programmable thermostat.  We use the Lux 500 model, about $15 at a big-box store.  On the Heat setting, these provide a simple contact closure which you can wire in where the on/off switch goes.  If you need a heavier current rating, use it to switch your 12v or 24v house supply to feed a relay.  Not only do these have a weekly timer, they are, of course, thermostats, so they won't turn the unit on if it's not needed.

HTH,

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: