Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 12:47:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Massive gook buildup on brake drum  (Read 9894 times)
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2006, 08:39:32 AM »

I'm sure we all have our horror stories.  In my case I had rigged up leveling valves on my 4104.  I knew I just had to get a little ways under it to remove the drain plug on the aux fuel tank....I'll just air it up, won't take but a minute.

I hooked up my compressor, set to about 90 psi and walked away for a few minutes.

POW!  blew the left front bag.

I'll never be sure if I would have gone under the bus without blocking it, but I was thinking about it.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2006, 09:06:32 AM »

That time, just like last night, I was happy to be relatively spry and skinny. Of course, a larger man would probably work smarter under a bus. Or never go under there in the first place.
bb

Brian now you know why I love my "pit" so much as us larger guys have trouble even getting under a bus, let alone move faasstt while under it! LOL although back when I were about 4 or 5 pants sizes smaller (and I didn't have a pit)I was under a 102A3 working on a bad brake chamber. What I didn't realize was that one of the hired hands (who was working on an $ income job) didn't realize I had the air hooked to the bus for a reason and took the air hose to use where he was working! I didn't get crushed , but there was some yell'n goin' on and they scrambled to get air hooked to the bus before leaving for lunch before I could get out from under the bus! I got even as I was the Boss and assigned who did what ! And that same bus needed a new valve on a full holding tank as the one on there was seized up, and well one good turn deserves another!  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2006, 11:02:00 AM »

Brian,

First of all, GLAD your OK.  Shocked

And Thanks for having the GUTS to share so that others may learn and live. Cool

Hopefully your on the downhill side of all this mess.

This has been one heck of a trip for you Pal. Tongue

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2006, 11:31:54 AM »

This has been one heck of a trip for you Pal. Tongue

Agreed! But, no fires in the bedroom! Yet...  Tongue

I think this last round of repairs will solidify whether I really want to be a busnut or not. Though presently cut, bruised, and scraped... not to mention nearly crushed... I'm still anxious to get on out there and work some more. So I guess that answers that question!!

We're due to head out late tonight for a few hours to Wichita Falls for a roadside overnight. We'd like to camp the following night in Palo Duro Canyon SP, but I'll have to see how the brake holds up. That 10% grade down into the canyon could be too dicey to risk it. My Jake provides very litle help when idling down those hairpin turns, and getting first gear to lockup is hit or miss (the tranny supposed won't, but I've done it before and it's sooo nice).

Should be home late Friday sometime, if all goes well. Let's hope it does, and is altogether uneventful.

I'm sure missing my wife after two weeks... and the kids their Momma. "What a long strange trip it's been..."
bb

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2006, 12:01:28 PM »

Brian,I am glad to hear that you came out from under your bus with out any major injuries.
This is a lesson for all of us don't get under a air suspension coach unless it blocked and chocked.
If it fall's on you it's to late and the old bus will not even say sorry.
Keep us posted on your trip back home.Above all be safe and be very careful.
If you need advise feel free to ask.
jlv

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2006, 05:52:38 PM »

Hello Brian.

Thank you for being good enough to share.

Most of us clam up about our screw ups...

And then no one learns anything the easy way!

Keep this all in perspective: You have an old bus that has not been maintained.

You are well on your way to catching up on things.

Once you are home, you want to keep right on going, doing the appropriate preventive maintenance and worn parts replacement with every system and get ahead of the failure curve.

You have way more merit badges than many of the rest of us now!!!!

Oh, and best you don't tell your wife anything except how you were able to overcome the problems.

Unless you want to be an instant "used-to-be-a-busnut"

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2006, 09:10:59 PM »

We made it home without incident, making the 900 miles in liesurely, short doses. We ended up going the northerly route, all Interstate through OK and KS. We revisited a great kids museum in Wichita that was even better this time around. Found a few parks, etc. New starter and batts spun her instantly to life, even after the two Walmart nightovers in the mid-30s.

I checked the ailing hub periodically, and felt no heat buildup. The last hour's drive through our environs north of Denver was the most stop and go, so when I pulled up in front of our house I felt all wheels and the oozing one was the only one not too-hot-to-touch... since its brake wasn't being used at all. I sure felt its absense a few times, and kept my distances waaayy long.

I haven't crawled back under there to see how much more gook grease came out (since I'm a little gun-shy lately  Cheesy), but I'll get it blocked and look under there before I put her away for a few months. We usually get a warm spell in mid-January that I plan to dig into the bearings and axle. I also have a round of work to do on the front end (shocks, bearings, tires, etc.) before our travels start up again in earnest next Spring.

Thanks all,
bb

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2006, 09:22:19 PM »

Congrats! I've been following your saga - you sure did have your share of troubles this trip.  Hope thats the last of them for a while.  I'm glad you made it back and all is well!

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2006, 09:32:41 PM »

Grin
Glad to hear that you got back home with out any more trouble.
Keep us informed on what ypu find with the greasy hub.
jlv
larryh
4905A-893 P8M

ready to run with the big dogs

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2006, 04:41:50 AM »

Brian

Now I feel vindicated on my assessment of your axle seal leak when You get ready tp pull wheels I can give you a big hint and description on how to remove as a unit so you don't have to pay for a tireman to remove for you. Happy holiday for you and your family.

LarryH

Savvy ponderable:
A cowboy's only afraid of two things:
havin' ta walk,
and the love of a good woman.
"This posting was generated using an environmentally friendly, self contained flatulence generator, therefore no fossils or neutrons were harmed in the creation of this posting.

Quartzsite,
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2006, 04:49:24 AM »

It is almost impossible to remove everything assembled without a wheel dolly. You will need to remove the wheels first and then the brake drum. With the drum off, you will be able to see the source of the grease. If it is not coming from inside the hub, it is not necessary to pull the axle and hub, but is adviseable on a bus that is new to you and you don't know when the bearings were last done.

If possible, get somebody with a strong back to help. These pieces are heavy.
Dreamscape

« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2006, 04:56:24 AM »

I have been following your posts...

Nice to hear you made it home safe and sound.  WHEW...

Good luck finding out what is going on, let us all know..

Paul

Dreamscape
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2006, 07:03:13 AM »

Grin
Removing the tires & whell assembly.
 I had made mention of this to Bryan when talking to him about the grease on the brake blocks and drum.
Some time back a fellow bus fan had made mention to use a pallet jack for a tire&wheel dolly.
I thought this is a good idea.
I located one on eBay for less than $50.00 and it will do the job just fine.
Also with 2 pallet jacks you can remove the engine and cradle out of a GMC Coach.
I saw a PD4106 owner do this a few years back.
One more item the size socket that you will need is a 3/4" or 1' drive 4" shell type socket used in removing the 2 axle nuts on the GMC Coaches.
I have seen them at NAPA stores and I think that OTC tool company makes them.
I use the name "Shell socket" because they are made with a very thin steel so the socket can get down inside the wheel hub.
Perhaps a bus fan that is a "tool" type person can add more to this type socket.
jlv
Paso One

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2006, 07:12:10 AM »

Glad to hear you made it home safe and sound. I bet the kids loved the extended holiday Smiley Momma I bet was the least amused  but glad you were home. Cheers Paul

68 5303 Fishbowl 40' x 102"
6V71  V730 4:10
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2006, 08:11:06 AM »

Brian,

Glad you and the Gang are home safe and sound.

Keep us posted on the fix.

Remember if the Wife says "is it all worth it", you can always say "At least I didn't catch it on Fire!"  Grin

Best Wishes from your friends is Sunny Florida. Tongue

Cliff
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 08:47:17 AM by FloridaCracker » Logged

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: