Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 27, 2014, 11:41:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Massive gook buildup on brake drum  (Read 10047 times)
Dallas

« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2006, 08:24:06 AM »

Brian,
Ain't it a relief to finally see that driveway coming up?

Back when Cat and I were trucking across this great land of ours for a living, we had an older truck and had a few breakdowns.

After a while, once we had put a on a few miles after leaving the house, I would say something like, "not a bad trip so far"!, or, "It could be worse"!

It goes with out saying that that was the wrong thing to say.

Now, if we leave the house, even in the car and I start to say, "not a ba........", Cat comes unglued and threatens to put me out on the side of the road.

So if the wife ask, "is it all worth it?" just look at her,  lovingly squeeze her hand and smile knowingly!

Never, Ever answer that question!

roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2006, 08:31:21 AM »

Previous post in regard to 4" OTC axle nut socket.
proper name and part number is
OTC Truck Wheel Bearing Locknut Socket-4" (6pt)
OTC number is OTC1914
JLV Grin
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2006, 10:36:56 AM »

IIRC the 4501 axle had a lot of clearance and I just torched a hex out of a piece of plate and welded it onto a piece of pipe for an axle nut socket.  Buying those sockets every time you need a different size is expensiive for the few times that you need them.  It may be something that the parts stores have in their loaner bin.

Hubs that are lubed from the differential oil never need to be taken apart unless a seal is leaking. Packed bearing will probably last as many miles as most people put on a conversion.

Every time that I pulled a brake drum I replaced the slotted screws with socket head screws so that nobody would ever have to fight the slotted screws again.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2006, 05:57:15 PM »

Glad you made it, Brian!

Looking forward to the next report!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
John E. Smith

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2006, 08:13:49 PM »

Sorry for my absence... been a little busy on an Entertainer coach that we have in!

As for the air incident... I am not going to say a word.  But the reason I will maintain my silence is that I did that myself on an MC-9 about a month ago!  Its amazing -- the one time we let down our "safety guard", that is when something happens!   Sad

Glad you made it home safely   Smiley.  You stated that, when you checked the hub temps at home, they were all hot to the touch except the leaky one.  Well, unless you backed that brake off completely, that just reinforces our assessment of a leaking wheel seal -- you will probably find that your greasy mess has re-appeared.  But, now that you are home, you can take your time and do the job at your leisure.

Just wish you would have stopped in... really would have liked to meet you.

John E. Smith
MC7S50

73 MC7 with Series 50 and 10 speed

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2006, 09:31:11 AM »

Hey Brian

What a time you had!  I feel for you.   

When you get into your wheel end to fix it, consider using these axle nuts as replacements for the stock ones.  Sooo much eaiser!

http://stemco.com/Portals/0/Products/ProTorq/ProTorq.pdf

John   
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: