Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 04:11:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Coach and Maiden Trip home....could use some advise ;)  (Read 2493 times)
LowTide

Ignore
« on: September 13, 2012, 03:46:36 PM »

The time day is getting closer to pick up our Coach and I must say we are totally stoked!

We will be flying into Salisbury Maryland on October 5th and spending a few days with oldmansax and his wife and then loading the coach up with food....Crab cakes for Cliff....LOL and anything else we will need for the trip home.
As you already know our maiden trip will be from Salisbury to Arizona and would like your input on what yall might think of this scenic route as we meander home.

Our tentative plan is to leave Salisbury taking the 13 through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel into the Norfolk area where we will pick up the 17 and head down the coast then pick up 95 down to 10, then take 10 west to Arizona, OR we could take 17 down into South Carolina and pick up the 20 West to Arizona.

Our thoughts thoughts were to follow along the Atlantic coast and possibly even find a nice beachfront RV resort to stay at for a night or two or split it up between a couple of RV Resorts along the way. If anyone could recommend a few good beachfront RV resorts or scenic places to stop along the Atlantic Coast or the Gulf area, we would really appreciate it.
We would also like feedback about the different planned route(s)...possible traffic congestion...places to avoid and so on.

The ocean is a big excitement for us because we don't get to see that large of a mass of water living in the Desert so we thought that route would be fun and scenic or we could cut off the coast early and skip the gulf coast area.

I will attach some images of our new baby!

Thanks so much!
Mike

« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 04:44:06 PM by LowTide » Logged

Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona
"1973 MCI MC-7 Challenger"

"A nation of sheep helps breed a government of wolves"
pabusnut

P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 04:28:57 PM »

Good for You! Grin

So if it is the Madden trip, are you stopping at every football venue on the way home.
If it were the Madden trip, you would be riding in a bus east also! Ha!

Along about October, I think stopping along the gulf / Pensacola area would be nice.
I think I would take 95 to 85 to Atlanta, then 85 to 65 to 10 and backtrack a little bit to the Pensacola/Ft Walton Beach area.  That would be really nice about that time.

I think Wanderlodges are nice, and I have seen them being built in the factory, but I'm not sure I would trade a nice MCI for one!

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
LowTide

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 04:49:17 PM »

Good for You! Grin

So if it is the Madden trip, are you stopping at every football venue on the way home.
If it were the Madden trip, you would be riding in a bus east also! Ha!

Along about October, I think stopping along the gulf / Pensacola area would be nice.
I think I would take 95 to 85 to Atlanta, then 85 to 65 to 10 and backtrack a little bit to the Pensacola/Ft Walton Beach area.  That would be really nice about that time.

I think Wanderlodges are nice, and I have seen them being built in the factory, but I'm not sure I would trade a nice MCI for one!

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut

I know, I messed up on the spelling, but got it corrected....quickly....glad you can modify titles...LOL

I will check out the route you mentioned, thanks for the reply!

Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona

oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 05:01:19 PM »

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut

I don't want to hijack Mike's thread but if I could still drive it, I wouldn't be selling it. I can't bend my knee far enough to set in the drivers seat anymore.

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 644MT Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 05:27:55 PM »

Oh come on now a true Busnut would just get rid of the knee eh!.....Lol

Dave5Cs Shocked

My personal skills are fine.. its my tolerance to idiots that needs work!....

http://s1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj493/fltmr2000/
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 06:27:10 PM »

I don't care if Tom can drive or Mike misspelled a word I am just worried about the crab cakes arriving in Phoenix lol sad to see one go Tom but there comes a time in life one thing you know it is going to a good home 

I saw his Spartan from a distance a lot of TLC went into it same will happen to your x bus I am sure, see you in Quartzsite Mike

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 05:18:21 AM »

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel is an experience in itself.  It holds a special place for me because I was among the first 100 drivers to cross it when I was in the Navy.  Take some time to stop at the pier midway across, you cannot see land on either side.

The crossing is a combination of bridges and tunnels so that if attacked, it would not lock the Navy fleet in Norfolk.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 05:32:46 AM »

They don't allow you to stop at the midway pier with anything bigger than a car anymore. I have seen a couple of cars with small trailers stopped but no trucks, big trailers or motor homes.

Welcome to the new world   Angry

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
ol713

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 07:32:38 AM »

Hi Mike;
      Nice looking MC-7.   I have one also.   Fun to drive.   
      Since you are close to Vergina, a stop at Williamsburg Va would
      be worth your time. A lot of history there.
      Also, if you take I-10, a stop in Mobile Alabama might have more
      naval history.   There is a battle ship USS Alabama is on display.
      I made that trip about 10yrs ago from Maryland to Calif and would
      like to do it again.       
                                          Merle. 
Kevinmc5

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 04:11:58 PM »

Nice looking bus. I really like the look of the 7

Good luck and enjoy the ride

Kevin

1964 4106-2471 8v71 Boise ID Driving any place I can Fit
LowTide

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 05:50:21 PM »

I don't care if Tom can drive or Mike misspelled a word I am just worried about the crab cakes arriving in Phoenix lol sad to see one go Tom but there comes a time in life one thing you know it is going to a good home 

I saw his Spartan from a distance a lot of TLC went into it same will happen to your x bus I am sure, see you in Quartzsite Mike

good luck

LOL, I am sure your crab cakes are going to make it home....errrr. We are going to load up, I am hoping to pick up some scrapple too.

The Spartan, I have to admit she was my baby and the day the fellow pulled her away and shed a few tears. If our RV plans had not taken a different direction, we would still have her and I knew she went to a good home because to the touching story this old timer told me.

There is no doubt we will take good care of her, shes family Wink

We have the Quartzite rally on the calender. My better half is undergoing surgery on her shoulder a few days before the rally starts and we will have to see how she feels.....heck a couple of pain pills and she will be doing fine......LOL

All the best
Mike

Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona

LowTide

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 05:56:58 PM »

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel is an experience in itself.  It holds a special place for me because I was among the first 100 drivers to cross it when I was in the Navy.  Take some time to stop at the pier midway across, you cannot see land on either side.

The crossing is a combination of bridges and tunnels so that if attacked, it would not lock the Navy fleet in Norfolk.

We would have loved to go over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, but we were trying to avoid the area around the DC area. The views looked great from what we saw in pictures and I am sure the tunnel will be an experience....we have nothing close to this out west.

I am curious, when you say you crossed when you were a diver in the Navy....not sure what you meant. Did you cross above or below water?

All the best!
Mike

Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona

LowTide

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 05:58:54 PM »

They don't allow you to stop at the midway pier with anything bigger than a car anymore. I have seen a couple of cars with small trailers stopped but no trucks, big trailers or motor homes.

Welcome to the new world   Angry

TOM

You mean we can't play the dumb tourists card.....LOL

Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona

LowTide

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 06:03:03 PM »

Hi Mike;
      Nice looking MC-7.   I have one also.   Fun to drive.   
      Since you are close to Vergina, a stop at Williamsburg Va would
      be worth your time. A lot of history there.
      Also, if you take I-10, a stop in Mobile Alabama might have more
      naval history.   There is a battle ship USS Alabama is on display.
      I made that trip about 10yrs ago from Maryland to Calif and would
      like to do it again.       
                                          Merle. 

Thanks for the coach compliments and possible places to visit. Maybe we will run into each other some day and exchange some tales.

Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona

LowTide

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 06:05:09 PM »

Nice looking bus. I really like the look of the 7

Good luck and enjoy the ride

Kevin

Thanks, out of all the MCI's we did have the 7 at the top of the list.

Oh, we can't wait for the ride home......can't get here quick enough Wink

Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona

LowTide

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 06:07:49 PM »

I want to take a moment to apologize to everyone for all the post to each member, but I can not figure out how to multi quote? I can seem to find a tab or button?

All the best
Mike

Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona

pabusnut

P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 06:45:23 PM »

Tom,

I am just kidding! Grin  I know how hard it is to part with any bus that you have "made your own".  Even though my GM5301 was poorly converted and had zero storage, I still hated to see it go.  Embarrassed

Mike & Lori--I didn't think anybody outside of Central PA even knew what scrapple was ----Unless they're from here!

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
LowTide

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 07:08:03 PM »

Mike & Lori--I didn't think anybody outside of Central PA even knew what scrapple was ----Unless they're from here!

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut

Steve,

My Family roots are from Delaware and every summer I would stay with my Grandparents and we would have scrapple every the morning.....nothing like the smell of scrapple and coffee to wake up to....even though I was not allowed coffee at my age.

I am so looking forward to getting my hands on some real scrapple, because what they sell for scrapple out here is terrible and worthy of the trash can toss......LOL

Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona

John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 07:17:46 PM »

Mike,                                                                                                                                                                                                ^^^^^

I am glad to hear that you got the Sax's 7. Looks like a good coach.

You can quote multiple folks by clicking on the "Insert Quote" button on the upper right had side of each post, when you are creating a new post.

Make sense? Maybe not. Okay, when you reply to my post, click on the "Reply" button. Then scroll down to where you can see my post. There will be the "Insert Quote" button right up there (look up here^^^^). Click that button, and you are set.

Enjoy.

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2012, 07:25:28 PM »

October on the Florida panhandle coast campgrounds can get crowded. We usually make run that time of year to Destin/Fort Walton Beach area.  Ck out Florida St park camp grounds for openings to get ideas.  Area  camp grounds we like there are Henderson Beach , Topsail Hill  and Saint Andrews @ Panama City  all top of the line!  If you decide to to St Augustine area    that's a whole differant adventure which could include Silver Springs on Hwy 40 & Daytona tour.  Bob
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 07:29:09 PM by robertglines1 » Logged

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2012, 08:06:47 PM »

Just tell  FL hi and bye and head for New Orleans where you can get real food lol the State of La  has some nice state parks and are cheap to stay at.

We stay at Bayou Segnett in New Orleans when we are there it is close to everything walking distance of were all the shrimp boats come to unload and sell their catch

Let me know when you plan to hit that area we maybe there.

I go early to beat Wayne (Rusty on the board here) to the crayfish when he hits town the craw-fish the population goes down in hurry he stays with the crawfish for eating but I do like the muffaletta sandwiches really not much food in New Orleans I don't like lol

good luck 

Life is short drink the good wine first
LowTide

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2012, 06:48:02 PM »

October on the Florida panhandle coast campgrounds can get crowded. We usually make run that time of year to Destin/Fort Walton Beach area.  Ck out Florida St park camp grounds for openings to get ideas.  Area  camp grounds we like there are Henderson Beach , Topsail Hill  and Saint Andrews @ Panama City  all top of the line!  If you decide to to St Augustine area    that's a whole differant adventure which could include Silver Springs on Hwy 40 & Daytona tour.  Bob

Thanks for the information, Bob. We appreciate it!

Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona

LowTide

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2012, 06:52:30 PM »

Just tell  FL hi and bye and head for New Orleans where you can get real food lol the State of La  has some nice state parks and are cheap to stay at.

We stay at Bayou Segnett in New Orleans when we are there it is close to everything walking distance of were all the shrimp boats come to unload and sell their catch

Let me know when you plan to hit that area we maybe there.

I go early to beat Wayne (Rusty on the board here) to the crayfish when he hits town the craw-fish the population goes down in hurry he stays with the crawfish for eating but I do like the muffaletta sandwiches really not much food in New Orleans I don't like lol

good luck 

You said the magic word....shrimp Wink We will keep in touch and hopefully the timing will be right so we can meet.
Maybe I can give you your crab cakes and fill the freezer with shrimp......providing they are available.......LOL
Thanks for info too.

Mike

Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona

rusty

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 06:15:13 AM »

Did somebody say something about Crawfish ?
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 10:56:51 PM »

I want to take a moment to apologize to everyone for all the post to each member, but I can not figure out how to multi quote? I can seem to find a tab or button?

Mike -

I find it a lot easier to just click on the "B" button above for bold text, then type the person's name I'm directing my comments to within the brackets.

If I want to comment to multiple folk, I just repeat the process for each person after skipping a line (double space).

I have also used the "insert quote" feature from time to time, it, too, is handy, but can clutter a message, IMHO.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 Now
Fresno CA
LowTide

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2012, 06:18:34 PM »

Mike -

I find it a lot easier to just click on the "B" button above for bold text, then type the person's name I'm directing my comments to within the brackets.

If I want to comment to multiple folk, I just repeat the process for each person after skipping a line (double space).

I have also used the "insert quote" feature from time to time, it, too, is handy, but can clutter a message, IMHO.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ

Thanks for the tip, will be sure to try it next time around.

Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona

Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2012, 06:43:50 PM »

Low Tide,

I would follow the coast to Savannah, Ga.  two days there. The down A1 to St Augustine, FLA.
Depending on time, there are two ways to move to the Florida panhandle.
The fast way, take Interstate 10 over to Panama City, Florida. The the coast 98 to Pensacola.

However, if time pemits, I'd leave St Augustine ( the oldest city in America) take 207/20/26 through Gainesville then 19 North to Perry, and the costal road 98 to Pensacola.  You'd see the heart of Florida and some beautiful coast.

I love back roads, when time permits.   Grin

Shouldn't be to bad finding a place to park. 

Just my 2 cents.

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
expressbus

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2012, 08:40:07 AM »

Mike,

Congratulations on the new to you bus. It does look mighty nice in those photos.

You might want to consider taking the 95 to the 40 in North Carolina. Go 40 west into the mountains and there should be some leafy colors to look at. Heck, if you want you can take the 40 all the way to the 17? and drop down into Phoenix. If you do take the 40 then a stop at Tom Sawyer's RV Park in West Memphis, Arkansas is in order. Its not oceanfront, and with the drought I don't know how much waterfront there will be, but it is right on the Mississippi River, something else you don't have out west!

The 40 is also much less crowded than the 95 and would be a more relaxing and scenic ride for the wifey. There may be some other I-route possibilities to drop back south to the 20 or 10 west of the Missiissippi but I'd have to check a map, who has one of them anymore, to plot a route.

That's my 2 (where the heck did the cent key go on the keyboard) cents worth.

Will

Will Garner, Jr
Southern Pines, NC
1991 Prevost Conversion by Country Coach
Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2012, 08:43:43 AM »

If you decide to take I-40 west then you will pass right by Bryce's ( aka: Busted Knuckle or BK ) place.  Try to stop and say hello.  Just be careful of his dogs!  They have a high slobber content Smiley

Isn't it grand when other folks plan your trip for you    lol

Frank

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2012, 01:45:19 PM »

Will,

There never was a key.  You can use (ALT)-0162

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
expressbus

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2012, 05:18:14 PM »

Len,

Dang, I remember having one on my old typewriter. I guess there is not much use for a cents key anymore.

Keep Rolling On Bus Brother

Will

Will Garner, Jr
Southern Pines, NC
1991 Prevost Conversion by Country Coach
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2012, 05:30:14 PM »

Will, There never was a key.  You can use (ALT)-0162

Hmmmm. . .

Yup.