Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 01:49:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus started then stopped running this morning ...wont start now  (Read 3326 times)
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2012, 07:24:58 PM »

Dlsnow - One thing I have done recently is started the bus and not had the ignition turned on.  The bus will start, run for a minute or two and then not start back up as the ignition switch is in the off position.  Check your wiring around your ignition switch and make sure that everything is clean and neat and wired properly.  If an ignition wire came loose there is a chance that the bus may have started but won"t restart.  Just one guess of many.

Please keep up this post and let us know what you find out.  Also - Putting a (first) name in either your signature, profile or at the end of your post will make us feel like we are helping a real person and not a robot Smiley   

Thanks.

-Sean

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
Dlsnow
dave

dave

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 11:27:41 AM »

Sean-Good point...my name is Dave - I lack the consistency of a robot.  LOL
Secondly-Wired properly...part of the bus was converted to 12vthe (headlights for sure)...I have been trackingon dien misc electeical issues.  Not sure about the ignition switch.  I have a master switch which controls all 24volt.  I know it needs to be on to run the starter.  I thought there wasnt electronic ignition ...combustion by compression? 

I will certainly update this post with the resolution.  Hopefully something embarrasingly easy.
it is frustrating to read all about someone else with the same symptom only to find the post abandoned.

-Dave

1972 MCI7 8v71 converted - 1kw solar on roof
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 12:14:57 PM »

Dave; only a few things will shut your non electronic engine down. The two main is lack of fuel and lack of air.  You are working on fuel issue. Don't assume because your fuel gauge( if you have one )says you have fuel that you do. That has fooled many! Also the tanks are almost 8 ft wide so if your tank is low and your bus is tilted (low) to the drivers side 4 inches can equal 10 gal of fuel.   I reread post I doubt if you just moving your fuel lines would have anything to do with it. Bob
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 04:10:31 PM by robertglines1 » Logged

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 12:22:29 PM »

Just go buy a cheap electric pump from Auto Zone,buy 5 gals of fuel unscrew the plug in top of the filter base add a fitting in that spot put a hose on both ends 1 for the suction side 1 for the filter run the pump for a few minutes fire that puppy 

fwiw the fuel is not wasted it will return to the tank while pumping

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 12:27:49 PM »

If it don't prime up get back to us.  Most everyone has a prime rig set up.

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
challenger440

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2012, 02:22:04 PM »

Disnow, my 73 mci   MC 7 has 12v headlights from the factory.   Wont help getting her started but one less thing to worry about.

John M.

John M.
Helena, Mt
MC7  "under construction"
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2012, 02:49:57 PM »

Make sure it's passing the smoke test (passing may not be the correct term...)   If it's cranking and there is a lot of white smoke, it's a lack of air issue.  If it's cranking and there is little to no white smoke, it's a lack of fuel issue. 

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2012, 03:02:31 PM »

The 2 stroke will blow plenty of white smoke without a solid stream of fuel when cool and never fire a lick he says he is not getting as much white smoke as normal, prime it and get it over with

good luck

Dlsnow
dave

dave

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2012, 04:27:51 PM »

Ill hookup one if those prime rigs monday am.  Thanks for the tip.  Is there a certain psi i should look for in a pump?  Heard sonewhere to go with low psi or you may blow out sone seal or sonething?

I assume were talking about the plug on top if the primary fikter.

gus

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2012, 04:46:19 PM »

Starts and runs, stops after air builds up, filters full! Not to question your diagnosis but is it possible you misread the fuel shutoff position?

A classic case of the engine run switch off. Been there. Maybe one of the switches failed?

If the prime is lost it won't start in the first place - been there.

I think this filter and prime stuff is a wild goose chase!

Please let us know what you find out.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2012, 05:08:49 PM »

Thank you Gus - that was my thought too.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2012, 05:39:57 PM »

Sure they will start and run with a lost prime if the system was full to start with haven't you guys ever shut the fuel off to one it will run for a minute or 2 at idle with no fuel supply.

If the switch was the problem he would be getting no smoke with the stop engaged and he says he getting white smoke unless I read it wrong

Dlsnow
dave

dave

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2012, 08:41:38 PM »

Gus- it started and ran only once...ran about 3 minutes, died and hasnt fired since.  I looked directly at the solenoid and lever it contacts to verify it didnt shut itself off by stopping fuel.  Bear in mind it would have hit the fast idle solenoid-using more fuel as it aoproached 30psi.
it cranks over nicely but doesnt fire at all.
Is it worthwhile to hookup the external motor and prime it.  A lost prime seems logical to me according to symptoms.  And the lack of white smoke seems to strenghten the no fuel theory.

I appreciate all the feedback.  I have all day tomorrow to get after this issue.

Please correct me if i am wrong or going in the wrong direction.  I am a rookie.  This isis my first bus and this isis my first few month s on the road with it.

Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2012, 09:18:57 PM »

Hang in there Dave, and best of luck!

We were all newbies once  Wink Wink Grin

Van

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Dlsnow
dave

dave

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2012, 01:30:01 AM »

I forgot to mention it has no fuel gauge so i dipstick the fuel.  I dont think i have had it less than a half tank.  When this happened (now) it is at 3/4 full.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: