Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 10:09:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do about replacing just one drive tire?  (Read 1179 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2012, 07:16:47 PM »

It looks like I will have to replace one of my inside duals on Monday.  I discovered a large bulge on the inside of the tire today.

The tires were purchased in 2006 and have around 30,000 miles on them.  Can I get by with just one new tire, or will it be a problem if I don't replace all four?  I just made one of the steer tires a tag tire.  I could possibly move that tire to the drive axle and get a new/used tag tire.  I just got new steer tires so no moving those to the tags.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 08:54:44 PM »

What about putting a used tire on it?  Call around to locale tire stores.

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 05:35:48 AM »

What about putting a used tire on it?  Call around to locale tire stores.

Won't I have issues with a used tire not matching the diameter of the current drive tires?  My thinking is I should move the tag tire I just moved from the front to the drive position and then get a used or new tire for the tag.  I guess we'll see what the tire place says tomorrow.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
trucktramp

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 07:32:56 AM »

Putting on a new tire next to a used one won't hurt anything.  It will however, cause the new tire to wear faster than normal because it will be carrying more weight than the older tire.  If you decide to go with used, have your tire guy measure the good tire and match with what he has to sell so that you get similar diameters.

Dennis Watson
KB8KNP
Scotts, Michigan
1966 MCI MC5A
8V71
Spicer 4 Speed Manual
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 12:32:51 PM »

If you don't want to replace all 4, the recommendation to replace the one with a used tire is the best.  If you can select a used tire that is about the same diameter, that will be the best (tread pattern is not important).  Buying a new tire will be larger causing it to run hot because of taking more of the weight (as previously mentioned) and cause the differential to be constantly rotating since the higher tire will be running slower then the worn tires on the other side.  Personally-I would buy 4 new tires-are the other 3 going to do the same bubbling thing?  Also-Look into installing a recap. Quality recaps are good on dualies.  Half of the rubber you see on the road is from new tires blowing up.  The number one killer of tires is from low air pressure causing excessive heat. Best to have some sort of wireless pressure monitoring system like PressurePro. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 01:49:07 PM »

I'm pretty sure the tire was never run low on pressure.  It was still at full PSI when I checked all the tires yesterday.  I am literally in the middle of installing a Pressure Pro system.  I have to mount the monitor itself and I will be done.

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 04:18:30 PM »

Just for clarification, the issue with a new tire next to a worn tire in a dual setup is not so much the difference in weight but rather the difference in circumference.  Since both duals have to turn at the same RPM and both have different circumferences you set up a situation where both tires are constantly scrubbing which will actually wear them both out. 

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
sommersed

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 09:12:42 AM »

I have mixed new with old, but used the chalk line method to make sure that the wear pattern was the same on both tires.  Different inflation pressures may be necessary to make this happen.

A chalk line (or several) across both tires, then driven a couple of miles in a straight line provides wear pattern.

Ed
bkelly1011
Brad Kelly

Nope, not my bus.

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 09:19:32 AM »

In addition to what bobofthenorth noted, the scrubbing caused by the differential in diameter can build up heat - so on longer trips it's a potential fire hazard as well.  Good idea to avoid that.

Busnut wannabe.
Don4107

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 07:06:09 PM »

I would change both tires on that side.  Look for 2 new or used matching tires close to the same diameter as the existing tires.   Take the good tire and use it for a tag, spare or trade in.

Good luck

Don 4107 Eastern Washington
1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: