Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 01:29:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Many Electric Motors?  (Read 747 times)
TomC

Ignore
« on: September 16, 2012, 12:26:50 PM »

If you want to have a bit of fun, count up how many electric motors are carried on your bus.  Some are: 2 motors in each roof top A/C (fan and compressor), starter motors, Fantastic Fan roof vents, water pumps, small motors driving your sound system, cooling fan in the inverter, compressor for refrigerator, cooling fans, hair dryer, mixer, blender, microwave motors, hand drill, etc. I came up with 42 electric motors on my bus!  See how many you have! Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 07:34:16 AM »

I came up with 39.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 09:59:25 AM »

At least 57 "built in," and that does not include any appliances or electronics not permanently attached (blender, Blu-Ray player, inkjet printer, file server, etc.) or power tools.  It does include the air compressor, which is not bolted down but is really part of the coach.

Lots of things have fans in them that are easy to overlook.  For example, my inverter and refrigerator both have flushing fans.  I may be undercounting, since there are things I've never taken apart.  For instance, I counted two for my microwave/range hood -- one for the microwave stirrer and turntable, and one for the range hood blower.  But for all I know, there are three or four motors in that appliance.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 11:32:44 AM »

At least 57 "built in," (snip) 

Let's see ....

(2)  Defroster fans
(1)  Inverter
(1)  Fridge
(1)  Water pump
(1)  Starter
(1)  Bathroom Exhaust
(1)  Toilet Macerator
(1)  Microwave "turntable"

That's 9 - will be 11 when I convert to electric wipers this autumn.   

B "The Electrical Ned Ludd"  H,  NC USA

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 12:18:17 PM »

Twelve so far, and that's without any of the interior yet built:
1  -  starter
1  -  HF bilge pump
1  -  Facet/Purolator priming pump
1  -  Kysor/Bergstrom coolant pump
4  -  Bergstrom heaters
2  -  Bergstrom defroster fans
2  -  SHURflo water pumps

Maybe another dozen when the interior's done  -  I plan on reducing house electrical loads as much as possible.

John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
goutoe

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 12:43:44 PM »

A Quick count I came up with 52, I am not sure how many motors in the elec. mirrors? My keurig coffee maker has a prime pump, "ha" now thats one you may have missed!

John.

John & Linda 1977 AM General 6V92 turbo Detroit 3 Speed allison, 40 ft.
garhawk

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 01:15:23 PM »

Now for the scary part (financially), count the number of wheels you own!

gary t'berry
Eagle Mod 20 DD ser 60 w/slide
GMC RTS 102"  40er (in progress)
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 04:16:24 PM »

It is truly astonishing how many electric motors there are inside the cabin of a modern luxury car. I've got cupboards full of clever little mechanisms which I've stripped out of cars I've owned which I've scrapped. When you take one apart you realise that lots of things have motors in that you never knew were motorised - like the motors in the headlights that adjust them to keep them level when you put a load in the back of the car. And the fact that the gear lever isn't actually attached to the gearbox - instead it operates switches, which operates motors which move the gear linkage.

One of the most interesting devices things I found was in a Cadillac I owned. I've stripped electric seats out of Range Rovers, Lexus's and Beemers, and typically they might have six motors in each seat to move the various things around. But in the Caddy the seats just had a single motor and a really clever electromagnetic clutch mechanism which switched the motor between controlling three different functions. No idea why they did it like that, but it was a neat system.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: