Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
April 21, 2018, 06:20:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting start of my trip  (Read 5412 times)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 01:19:35 PM »

I use the constant tension / constant torque hose clamps for basically everything.  I think the local NAPA still has an inventory of them because they had to get full boxes from the warehouse just to sell me a few of different sizes.

I noticed on photos of new Series 60 engines that they use really heavy duty spring clamps on some of the hoses just like new cars.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2012, 01:13:50 PM »

Jim,

Yes I'm using the spring clamp.  It is just sloppy positioning on the hose on my part, and I can't remove it without catching all the coolant.  Don't want to do that while on the road.  I'm at Wapusund RV Park outside Loudenville OH now and I don't see any wet spots on the ground.  We are having such an enlightening time here in Amish Country that we are going to stay 2 extra days.  Went to Lehman's Hardware Saturday and never saw so much stuff that I had no clue what it was.  The food at these Amish kitchens is some of the best cooking I've ever had.  This is truly a beautiful piece of the U.S. to see.

We will head to Niagra Tuesday, then on to Charlestown NH for 5 weeks.

David
David Anderson

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 07:59:55 PM »

Made it to Buffalo today and staying at Sleepy Hollow Campground in Akron NY.  Will head out to Niagra tomorrow and get to see that.  No issues on the trip.  Diesel is 4.19 here.  I filled in Michigan which was much less.  Sure are a lot of troopers on the NY hiways Angry
David Anderson

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 05:53:32 AM »

I'm starting to notice a lot of low bridge warnings and load limit bridges with weight limits less than 18 tons.  So far I've always had an exit before getting locked into a bad situation.  I'm planning my route mostly on US 20, but I need to use NY7 east of Albany, then Vermont 9 and then New Hampshire 12 to Charlestown NH.  Anyone know these 3 state routes?  VT9 crosses the Connecticut River.  I hope I don't have any problems.

David
OneLapper

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 09:32:02 AM »

Route 7 to VT9 will be fine. Took that route last summer.  VT 12 might be a different story, many bridges were damaged in last fall's tropical storm Irene.  Alas, 91 parallels it the entire way so you very easily jump on that if need be.

Some Highlanders should jump in. I know there are few bus owners up that way.  I'm a lowly lowlander.  But my sister lives in VT so I'm up there with our bus quite a bit.  

Edit;  Stop off in Putney for some great BBQ!  About a 1/4 mile off exit 4 off 91 north, take a left at the end of the ramp, turn right at the next stop sign into Curtis's American BBQ!  Authentic BBQ served out of the window of a Skoolie!  Well worth the time!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 11:52:42 AM by OneLapper » Logged

OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com
David Anderson

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 02:30:51 PM »

Made it.  2940 miles.  I'm a long way from home.  Will be here 5 weeks then head back to to Texas.  The lowest bridge was on US 20 about 25 miles west of Albany.  It was 12'9".  No more problems with the coach since I stopped the coolant leak.  The old 6v92 has used about 3 quarts of oil since I left South Texas.  I had to use the Voith retarder really hard on these eastern mountains.  It has worked like a charm.  Some of these hills rival some in New Mexico.  I saw $4.45 diesel in Albany Shocked  Only 3.99 in Vermont.   I'll be in touch.

David
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 02:35:41 PM by David Anderson » Logged
David Anderson

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012, 04:52:42 AM »

Forgot to mention that I went under a 12' 9" rail bridge on NY7 in Rotterdam (Schenectady).  My wife ducked to the floor and I held my breath.  I was thinking I was 12' 2", but I put my laser level on the air conditioners when we got to camp and measured a 12'6".  Whew, 3" is really close.  I'll know for sure next time.  One of our group did the same road with a 5th wheel.  He is 13'6".  He hit the brakes, had his wife move traffic, backed up and went around the neighborhood for a few blocks to find a grade crossing to go over.  It didn't show up on his bridge warning software on his I phone. 

I was in Greenfield Mass yesterday and an 18 wheeler was in front of me on US 5.  He came on a 12'6" bridge in the middle of town, hit the brakes and made a hard turn up a one way street the wrong way to get out.  He was 13'6".  Whew, you have to watch out where you drive around here.

David
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2012, 06:54:49 AM »

The northeast has major problems with low bridges.  I had a heck of a time in Pennsylvania finding bridges with enough clearance.  The Amtrak Northeast corridor went through the area I was in and most of the Northeast corridor bridges are low.  I missed a bridge clearance sign in one spot and almost made my bus into a convertible.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
David Anderson

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 07:15:12 PM »

We are back on the road again, heading to Texas.  Left Charlestown NH Saturday morning and drove to Gettysburg PA.  Spent Saturday and Sunday night in Gettysburg PA.  The Webasto quit on me last night after it cycled the burner "off" from the aquastat, it would not restart.  I tried it again a few minutes ago and it will not light.  It's dark, so I can't really check it too closely, plus I'm pretty tired.  I'm at Camp Walmart in Rockdale TN and will drive to Little Rock or Texarkana tomorrow.  I probably won't need it the rest of the trip, but it has failed me in different ways several times.  Frustrating!!

Saw 4 different Prevost conversions on I 81 today.  Fuel was 4.19 in PA, MD, and WV.  $3.85 at Flying J in northern VA.  I've driven 4000 miles so far.

David
David Anderson

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 11:44:30 AM »

Made it back home on Sep 26.  I've driven 5161 miles and crossed through 16 states since July 16, burned 783.3 gals of diesel for the trip (includes genny) for an avg of 6.58 mpg.  Total fuel cost was $2991.54.  The old 6v92 used 1 gallon of oil for the trip.  I saw 6 Prevosts and 1 Bluebird conversions on my whole trip.  No Eagles or MCI's.

Now out to the bus to do some needed maintenance.

David
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: