Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 05:47:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remove factory A/C and install Generator - 4107  (Read 1404 times)
roadgipsy

Ignore
« on: September 29, 2012, 09:00:43 AM »

Hello everyone. I took my bus to the mechanic yesterday to get the factory A/C removed so I can put my generator in the bay where the condenser went. The previous owner had the generator in one of the bays and I don't want to do that specially if I have that extra space in that space.

I left the bus there but was there long enough to see what the bay looked like with most of the stuff out and the bay did not look like the bay of my 4106. The 4106 fit the boxed Onan quiet diesel perfectly but this bay has the wall next to the fuel tank in an angle and would not fit the generator. I forgot to take a picture but I'm sure someone here knows what that looks like.

What is behind that wall? Can I just cut it and make my own wall next to the fuel tank? Also, other stuff for heating was there which I want to keep but also want the space? Has anyone here done this on a 4107? Anyone has picture of what they have done?

Thanks in advanced everyone.

David
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 01:17:19 PM »

David,

I put my generator in my a/c condenser compartment on the 4905 we have.

I thought it was almost identical on this part to the 4107.

Can you post a picture of the angled wall?

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 01:51:47 PM »

Gm did a lot of things different on the 35 ft 4107 to get more luggage space almost a 100 cubic ft over the 4106 like compacting the HVAC system in that area

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
roadgipsy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 09:07:39 PM »

Hello everyone. Here is a picture of what that storage bay looks like now that the condenser has been removed. My questioned is, if I relocate the heater stuff can I just cut the metal highlighted in yellow?

Thank you,

David
sdc53

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 09:56:59 PM »

I am following this thread with interest.  I believe that may be partially removed in my 4107 but not sure because it was done by the PO and is covered in sound deadening material.  It is an annoyance to me because I don't know what's under there and there isn't much room to work in that bay.  Be sure to use sliders on your genny because mine is majorly stuffed in there and not mounted on sliders.  I believe my aux tank is on the other side of that wall, which I don't think I actually need.

Scott
Gladstone, OR
1969 PD4107
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 09:01:55 AM »

Yes, you should be able to cut it out.

On my 4905 there is an access hatch from the next bay back, it is rectangular and in the center of the bus.

I removed mine, it was just sheet metal between the condenser and evaporator.

Cliff

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
roadgipsy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 09:49:35 AM »

Cliff, thank you for your post. Do you by any chance have a picture of your generator installation? What did you do with all the heating stuff?

David
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 09:52:09 AM by roadgipsy » Logged
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 03:52:26 PM »

This is a picture of the opening before insulating

Mark Twain
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 03:54:18 PM »

This shows the generator on the slideout

Mark Twain
pabusnut

P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 06:55:01 PM »

Cliff,

Curiosity has bit me.  I didn't remove that divider wall in my 4905 as it looked structural, although it is the only thing left besides some capped wires, the relocated circulation pump, the air tank on the other side and the batteries.  So what is behind your plywood wall(besides insulation)?  I don't have my generator finished yet, and here is still a huge space in there that I had considered using for a generator/diesel heater fuel tank.

Thanks!

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
roadgipsy

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 03:27:01 PM »

Thank you all for the responses. I have found that I will not be able to put my generator in this bay because removing/relocating all the heating stuff it's a task I don't tink I can do specially knowing that my generator will not fit unless I do some serious cutting. I have an onan quiet diesel and the box surrounding it prohibits it.

I will see what I can do and update this post. Thanks again.

David
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 07:49:28 PM »

Cliff,

Curiosity has bit me.  I didn't remove that divider wall in my 4905 as it looked structural, although it is the only thing left besides some capped wires, the relocated circulation pump, the air tank on the other side and the batteries.  So what is behind your plywood wall(besides insulation)?  I don't have my generator finished yet, and here is still a huge space in there that I had considered using for a generator/diesel heater fuel tank.

Thanks!

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut

Hey Steve,

I moved the back wall about 1/3 into the center area.  The batteries and air tank are still there.

My exhaust is routed through the hole in the back on the right.  It is connected via a union to the muffler etc under the coach.

Also in the center compartment is a blower run of the Gensets power that put airs directly on the generator head.

I could have left it open, but wanted to minimize the generator noise on the door side of the coach.

Cliff

Mark Twain
pabusnut

P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 07:26:27 AM »

Thanks Cliff,

Hopefully I get the generator finished this fall/winter.  Next up on my agenda is getting some heat installed!

Steve

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
gmcbuffalo

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 08:23:36 PM »

David I had PD4107-993 and the condenser was removed and I had a LP Onan Generator in it's place.  I also used the original heating system and it worked great.  On mine the blowers and heating radiator was in the center between this compartment and the bay on the passinger side.
gmcbuffalo

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 10:16:15 AM »

David looking at your photo is exactly what mine looked like and I didn't have to take anything else out. 

Cliff nice job.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: