Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 12:55:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: cooling fan for generator  (Read 1200 times)
uemjg
jerry

Ignore
« on: October 02, 2012, 08:26:43 AM »

Has anyone used a 12 volt cooling fan/shroud (2000 cfm's) to cool their generator?  Mine is a 10k diesel (kubota) generator which also has an altenator.  My concern is:

1. if the altenator is large enough to power the 12v fan?

2. is 2000 cfm enough to cool the radiator?

3. does the air blowing through the radiator have to be vented out?
gus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 02:52:55 PM »

I use a 120V squirrel cage fan. I think it has about a 350 cfm rating, does a great job. Since it is only used when the genset is running it makes more sense to use AC fans.

12V fans don't have enough power to do much cooling except at the radiator.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 03:42:48 PM »

On my 10kw Kubota powered, I have the radiator remote mounted.  The genset is in front like a front engine with the radiator below the drivers seat.  The squirrel cage blower is a single inlet with a belt driven 1/2hp 2spd totally enclosed fan cooled.  High speed for during the day and low speed for night time nearly silent operation.  For ventilating the cabinet I use an in line bathroom ventilator that's 8" and 250cfm.  Both fans were bought at Grainger's and both are 120vac.

With 12vdc fans, they usually put out a high pitch whistling that is irritating.  Plus the tiny alternator on the genset will not keep up (2 fans should be used). I have my alternator disconnected and just used as a belt tensioner.  My genset it hooked to the starting batteries.  If the starting batteries are down, I can activate the jumper solenoid that connects to the deep cycles and the 130amp charger on the inverter.
Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
uemjg
jerry

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 07:05:53 PM »

When remote mounting a radiator is there a max distance that the hoses run?

pictures anybody?
txjeff

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 05:19:18 AM »

My 20kw generator is mounted in the second bay on the driver side, the radiator is mounted on the passenger side in the engine compartment probably 25 ft away. The lines are 1" copper, I have a A/C fan that runs when the generator is on. I have never had a issue with overheating. I think the only issue with distance would be the water pump. 

jeff

73 MC-7combo
Brenham, Texas
gus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 07:09:39 PM »

I don't think there is a max distance, the longer the lines are the more coolant you have!

Mine had an additional water pump added, don't know if it is really necessary but think it was added to solve a cooling problem that, I think, was caused by not enough air flowing through the genset compartment.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
BJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 10:44:31 PM »

on my 15kw I have a commercial kitchen squirrel cage exhaust fan that sits next to the generator. In the bay door I cut a square hole  about 2x2 ft with a wire mesh directly in front of the motor. In the floor I cut another 2x2 hole to exhaust the air that flows over the engine into the shroud enclosing the fan exhausting it thru another shroud to the exhaust hole. with the bay door shut and the gen running, the air it sucks through the intake is amazing. the fan runs off the 110V system when the gen is running.  I have a large amount of intake air being sucked over the engine then thru the radiator to exit to the ground. All this takes one half of the middle bay on the drivers side
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: