Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 21, 2014, 12:13:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a couple items for my project.  (Read 547 times)
tuccitown

Ignore
« on: October 03, 2012, 12:12:33 PM »

Hi my name is Jack not sure if I have ever properly introduced myself. I've been a lurker since 2005 and have had a few buses in that time which this board has been invaluable.

I am currently replacing the tired 8v71 in my H8H649 with a new to me 8v71 and while it was out I was thinking of replacing the incandescent engine compartment lights with LED lighting. I was thinking of using the waterproof LED strip lighting but seems a bit expensive for this purpose. Anybody have any other ideas?

I am also in need of a engine compartment electrical panel cover and the pan that bolts to the cradle under the radiator. I'm not certain but would think the parts may be the same for the PD 490x.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Here is a pic of the cleaned up engine compartment:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
1979 GMC H8H649-053 Conversion in progress
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 12:25:10 PM »

Don't have your parts, but I was curious about the bus, since I had never heard of an H8H-649, so I found this:  http://www.oocities.org/~buslist/GM_Buf_Del/H8H-649.html

Is your bus on that list?

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
tuccitown

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 12:39:04 PM »

Thanks Brian, yep my bus is 053 originally a Peninsula Charter Lines bus working the San Francisco airport.

Jack 

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 12:42:02 PM »

While LED's would look really good-the LED's still don't put out enough light.  And you just don't use the engine compartment lights that much.  I would suggest you just keep with the regular incadescent lights-maybe add more to make it brighter.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
tuccitown

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 02:33:45 PM »

Thanks Tom

I installed six four inch strips inside the coach and they put out an amazing amount of light like this:

http://www.elementalled.com/high-density-24v-brighter-flexible-led-strip-light.html

I was thinking of using this for the engine compartment:

http://www.elementalled.com/high-density-waterproof-led-strip-light-by-the-foot.html

I'd actually prefer this but can't find in 24 volt:

http://www.elementalled.com/3-bulb-led-light-module.html

The problem with the incandescent bulbs is the current fixtures, which I was surprised to fine I had five of since having the engine out, all have bulbs rusted in and broken off(I had one working one which always needed fiddled with to work when it was needed). I found that the LED lights are pretty indestructible and the new consolidated ones put out plenty of light.

Thanks,

Jack

somewhereinusa

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 06:19:09 AM »

The third link looks interesting, but it would take 10 of them to make as much light as a foot of the second link It also uses almost
twice the power. Not sure what it means,since they are sold by the module, but it says two modules per foot.
PCC

Serving Those Who Have Served

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 10:24:00 AM »

I found a company that may help with running LEDs on 24 volts.

Digi-Key had what I needed to limit the current to my LED units whether single light units or multiple.

This worked for me.

For some, patience is a virtue.
Dealing with me, it is required.
Thank God - He is always patient.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: