Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 04:30:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Exhaust Aqua Hot to rear of bus  (Read 925 times)
joedelauter

Ignore
« on: October 05, 2012, 12:36:52 PM »

We had an aqua hot system put in the coach this year.  It is in the rear bay on the pax side.  We will be at a couple of football games later, when we will be wanting to keep the bus warm.  The spaces are a little close, so we would like to be able to run the exhaust to the rear of the bus and keep the fumes away from the neighbors.  What would be a good flexible type hose product to use for this?  The exhaust from the aqua hot is 2 in. diameter.  Would like to be able to roll this up and put it in one of those milk container crates if possible.  Went to Lowes to see what they had, which is 4 or 5 maybe 6 inch drain pipes which seem way too big.

Appreciate any suggestions and help with this.

Thank you
Joe
Bill B /bus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 12:57:52 PM »

In the installation manual there are certain restrictions on length and path. 270 degrees total curvature and, if memory serves, 10 feet maximum length. That exhaust is HOT. Although unmeasured, I would believe that a temperature of at least 250 degrees.

The Webasto boiler is very sensitive to  air flow. Too much exhaust restriction will cause a rapid soot buildup and failure. Keep this in mind when thinking about violating the install instructions, the iginitor only sparks for a short time to ignite the flame. After that the flame is self sustaining. Change the air flow and you could cause flame failure and become cold.

Bill

Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT70
joedelauter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 01:25:51 PM »

Thanks Bill
I was not aware of that, and you may have saved me from my own ignorance, as well as some $'s.

gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 04:38:22 PM »

Suggest you run hard exhaust to the driver side. Them build a 3-piece stack with a 90* sweep elbow on the bottom that fits over the hard exhaust. You
can buy the other pieces from NAPA with a bell on one end, or buy the stick pipe and separate bell and weld them on, or maybe have an exhaust company
expand bells on your pieces. Then, drill and attach an angle iron bracket to the side of the bus and fab a hook onto the first piece to hold it to the coach.
You set up the stand by attaching the 90* to the pipe and stack the other two pieces on to it. This routes the exhaust above the coach where the wind
carries it away from the neighbors. When done, undo everything and stow the stack in the bay.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 09:49:44 PM »

And, if you are concerned about the exposed temp of the pipe, double wall it with the external pipe open to the bottom and the top to allow convection.

Position the hot pipe in the middle using a triad of fasteners screwed through from outside at appropriate intervals up the pipe.

I had a nice elbow made at a truck exhaust place for a Webasto install I did. Nice heavy pipe, flared end fit like a glove.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 10:52:17 PM »

Gumpy, you're a master of the practical.   Good work.

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
wagwar

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 04:18:45 PM »

I would like at the Gen-Turi exhaust stack. The only one recommended by Aqua Hot TS.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: