Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 05:59:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 8V71 Temperature wires, senders and alternator on 68 Eagle  (Read 953 times)
Dreamscape

« on: November 11, 2006, 08:10:25 PM »

Gentlemen

I fired her up this morning to check things out, haven't started the coach for several months.

I have been working on my wiring for my alternator, voltage regulator and other wiring in the engine compartment on my Eagle. Trying to clean terminals and replacing some bad wiring. I did find out it is an alternator. My manual shows a picture with what looks like an air filter, mine does not have that. That is what was confusing to me.  It has a hose going up into some kind of small tank. The very next Eagle, serial number 7444, shows a stub on the end of the alternator just like mine (from picture in my manual). I asssume because mine was the last 01, there may be some crossovers to the 05 model. What is the hose for? It is very hard to tell what the tank is. My manual does not show anything, kinda odd.

The field wire from the alternator to the voltage regulator was badly frayed. I don't know yet if this was the culprit. How do I check this tomorrow with the engine running and reading voltage on the alternator and voltage regulator for a proper reading. I do know I will have to have all lights and accessories on in order to get the voltage regulator to kick in. What terminals and how do I check the DC voltage. How am I doing so far?

The wires to the temperature senders on each side of the block do not look right. I tried to trace them through my schematic, hard to see because of the size of the sheet. On one side there are two wires going to the sender on the right side, then they are connected before going to the sender. Is that normal? On the left side two wires going to the sender, one is hooked up the other is not, just hanging there. How should it be? I think the wire numbers are 75 and 79, hard to read the numbers on the terminal block. Is one wire to ground the sensor or what?

I have a lot to learn on this baby. I do know one thing, it is a pleasure.

I know there are several questions here to answer. Hopefully some of you more experienced Bus Nuts will have the answers.

Thanks,

Paul

Dreamscape
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 11:26:40 AM »

Paul, as a general rule, overtemp senders might be connected in parallel, but gauge sensors never will. Since you could find both side-by-side, the wiring could look confusing to you.

Overtemp senders should just be switches that close when the safe temperature is exceeded; gauge sensors are usually variable resistors, so connecting them in parallel would give wrong readings.

FWIW

Tom Caffrey
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
Dreamscape

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 06:33:45 PM »

Hello Tom,

The senders or whatever they are, are on each side of the motor at the top with a thumb screw on the end where the wire goes. As I said my schematic is so small, the print is blurred too, it is hard to tell if they are over temp senders or regular temperature sensors. I am not that familiar with this Detorit piece of iron, but I am learning as I go.

Guess I need to break down and get a manual for this thing. That is if I can find one.

Thanks for the tip,

Paul
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 09:00:35 PM »

Paul, you're not using your head. An ohmmeter will show you which you have.

I think you can turn up a manual; searching eBay and google should give you some leads. There are bus outfits, like IBP, that specialize in these old girls.

Good luck.

Tom Caffrey
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: