Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 26, 2014, 12:13:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Waste pipes  (Read 1227 times)
Flight102C3

Ignore
« on: October 08, 2012, 05:56:19 AM »

What kind of slope in 4 ft is good? If not level front rear, side to side, your standard household slope won't work!! I know I can't always be level.   Thanks
PCC

Serving Those Who Have Served

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 06:05:16 AM »

My waste water pipes are sloped at 3/4" or more per foot, at least for the first 4 - 6 feet from the fixture. Then I make sure there is a vertical drop into the tank of at least 8" above the center of the holding tank. If the vehicle is parked at an angle that prevents flow at those specs, then walking around will also be less than comfortable.

My coach has all the plumbing drains within 7 feet of the vertical drop, into the macerating pump which pumps into the holding tank. None of my lines have yet returned anything I have sent away.

For some, patience is a virtue.
Dealing with me, it is required.
Thank God - He is always patient.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 10:52:59 AM »

My commode is on the opposite side of the bus from the tank (one tank only). The sewer pipe passes forward into the next bay, then across that bay back into the rearward bay and then into the bottom of the waste tank!! It has very little slope anywhere!! And there are two 90* Ls in the line??

I don't think a lot of slant will matter, but I don't know that for sure. It would seem to me the solids would move faster but that may be wrong. Sort of like a water slide, so to speak!!

This toilet sewer pipe is about 12' long and is also connected to the kitchen sink and shower near the commode!!

According to everything I've read on the forums this won't work, but it does, even on an opposite slanted parking spot?? My setup violates all the rules laid out by the naysayers on the forum.

I probably wouldn't have done it that way but it was on the bus when I bought it but works fine.

The only thing I can figure that makes it work is that we always use plenty of water to flush. I don't mean great quantities, just a little extra. Anyway, I believe that the more water in a black tank the better.

Long may even be better because you aren't exposed to the whole black tank surface every time the toilet flapper opens. Since my sewer pipe goes into the bottom of my tank the only surface area my toilet sees is whatever is in the drain pipe.

I also have a tank vent which makes a loop above the tank then back down through the floor. I'm not recommending you do this because the code police will get on my case, but it works for me and a few others.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 03:37:42 PM »

I also have a tank vent which makes a loop above the tank then runs back down through the floor.
I do tooo...oh noooo,

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 03:36:19 PM »

Oh no, the code police will get you!!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 04:57:27 PM »

Ditto....black tank vent loops above tank and drops down through bay floor  Smiley

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 05:57:17 PM »

My bathroom sets above the gray/black tank.  Waste runs through a trap straight into the tank. Simple..

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 06:08:10 PM »

My bathroom sets above the gray/black tank.  Waste runs through a trap straight into the tank. Simple..

Do you actually have a trap on your toilet?

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 06:18:16 PM »

1/4 inch per foot is standard. If to steep the water will flow over the solids and sooner or later you will need to clean it out. If not steep enough nothing will move. In a RV the vent should be up and out and the entrance to the tank should be on the top, generally straight down into the tank from the toilet. Separate tanks for Black waste and grey waste, but again some have 1.

But as you can see what works for some works good and if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Dave5Cs

My personal skills are fine.. itís my tolerance to idiots that needs work!....

http://s1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj493/fltmr2000/
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 07:24:01 PM »

Oophs,  now that I go back and look at photos, I don't have a trap.  "The mind is a terrible thing to lose".

If the picture works out, notice the large PVC pipe on the right. That comes from the toilet.

Bill
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 07:37:00 PM by Kwajdiver » Logged

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
arutkow

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 08:53:17 PM »

Standard household toilets have the trap built in (you can see the shape of it in the porcelain on some toilets).  I assume the standard rv toilet doesn't need a trap to block gasses, since it has a physical valve that opens the bowl to the drain pipe.

Am I right?

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 05:52:11 AM »

Standard household toilets have the trap built in (you can see the shape of it in the porcelain on some toilets).  I assume the standard rv toilet doesn't need a trap to block gasses, since it has a physical valve that opens the bowl to the drain pipe.

Am I right?

Correct.  RV toilets are not intended for use with a trap.  The water sitting on top of the valve blocks gases from coming in.  The reason they don't use a trap is to conserve on water usage.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: