Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 03, 2014, 12:40:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Very big buses(with wings)  (Read 672 times)
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« on: October 17, 2012, 09:41:24 AM »

I just got back from Seattle yesterday. I flew out Saturday(Milwaukee WI.) I toured the BOEING plant in Everette and visited the MUSUEM OF FLIGHT on the south side of Seattle. The funny thing is that I flew on FRONTIER and they have no BOEING products in their fleet. The actual bus that I rode on for the tour was an MCI 102A3 of circa late 1990's vintage that had a S-50 repower.
Maybe it's just me but did you ever notice that when a jet powered aircraft throttles down for approach, it sounds alot like an idling diesel like a CUMMINS !SM or DETROIT S60?
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 11:41:07 AM »

I haven't been to Washington state since 1972. Are those two visits (Boeing and museum) worth it?

Hey: Post some pictures.

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 12:54:39 PM »

Maybe it's just me but did you ever notice that when a jet powered aircraft throttles down for approach, it sounds alot like an idling diesel like a CUMMINS !SM or DETROIT S60?
Just imagine the noise if aircraft had Jake brakes for landing.   Oh wait, they do  -  they're called thrust reversers.   Aren't they compression-release brakes (sort of)?

When JetBlue's Airbuses fly over here on their way into Long Beach they sometimes make a brief loud whine, almost like the compressor stage of their engines is varying its speed.   I haven't heard that from Boeing 737s and 757s going into John Wayne airport here, so maybe it's peculiar to whatever engines are on those Airbuses? 

John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 02:33:48 PM »

I goofed I meant late 1980's vintage MCI 102A3. I think the visit is worth it to both places even if you don't like aircraft. I'm not a really big aviation nut but I always liked the big airliners and bigger military planes. I would have enjoyed the trip more if I had studied the maps more since I got lost a few times and went in circles longer than need be but live and learn and that was my first trip there. At least I had nice rental (TOYOTA AVALON) that I had no idea they would give me but no extra charge. I have pics but I don't have a PHOTOBUCKET account. Is there any way to post those on here where I can bypass PHOTOBUCKET?
sdc53

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 06:35:46 PM »

I liked the museum, they have an SR-71 blackbird there.

Scott
'69 4107
Gladstone, OR

Scott
Gladstone, OR
1969 PD4107
gus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 06:57:47 PM »

What I've noticed is that a DD two-stroke sounds like a jet engine when it winds up!

My son works at the Everett plant and took me on that tour once, fascinating place.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: