Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 31, 2014, 01:18:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Very big buses(with wings)  (Read 666 times)
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« on: October 17, 2012, 09:41:24 AM »

I just got back from Seattle yesterday. I flew out Saturday(Milwaukee WI.) I toured the BOEING plant in Everette and visited the MUSUEM OF FLIGHT on the south side of Seattle. The funny thing is that I flew on FRONTIER and they have no BOEING products in their fleet. The actual bus that I rode on for the tour was an MCI 102A3 of circa late 1990's vintage that had a S-50 repower.
Maybe it's just me but did you ever notice that when a jet powered aircraft throttles down for approach, it sounds alot like an idling diesel like a CUMMINS !SM or DETROIT S60?
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 11:41:07 AM »

I haven't been to Washington state since 1972. Are those two visits (Boeing and museum) worth it?

Hey: Post some pictures.

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 12:54:39 PM »

Maybe it's just me but did you ever notice that when a jet powered aircraft throttles down for approach, it sounds alot like an idling diesel like a CUMMINS !SM or DETROIT S60?
Just imagine the noise if aircraft had Jake brakes for landing.   Oh wait, they do  -  they're called thrust reversers.   Aren't they compression-release brakes (sort of)?

When JetBlue's Airbuses fly over here on their way into Long Beach they sometimes make a brief loud whine, almost like the compressor stage of their engines is varying its speed.   I haven't heard that from Boeing 737s and 757s going into John Wayne airport here, so maybe it's peculiar to whatever engines are on those Airbuses? 

John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 02:33:48 PM »

I goofed I meant late 1980's vintage MCI 102A3. I think the visit is worth it to both places even if you don't like aircraft. I'm not a really big aviation nut but I always liked the big airliners and bigger military planes. I would have enjoyed the trip more if I had studied the maps more since I got lost a few times and went in circles longer than need be but live and learn and that was my first trip there. At least I had nice rental (TOYOTA AVALON) that I had no idea they would give me but no extra charge. I have pics but I don't have a PHOTOBUCKET account. Is there any way to post those on here where I can bypass PHOTOBUCKET?
sdc53

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 06:35:46 PM »

I liked the museum, they have an SR-71 blackbird there.

Scott
'69 4107
Gladstone, OR

Scott
Gladstone, OR
1969 PD4107
gus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 06:57:47 PM »

What I've noticed is that a DD two-stroke sounds like a jet engine when it winds up!

My son works at the Everett plant and took me on that tour once, fascinating place.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: