Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 05:10:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baja 1000?  (Read 960 times)
loosenut
Confidently Ignorant

Ignore
« on: October 19, 2012, 12:17:17 PM »

Anybody heading down?  The race starts in Ensenada and ends in La Paz and the dates are Nov 14-18th.  I would meet up if you would like.

The link will take you to a page where you can click on the course map.

http://www.score-international.com/races/1141/45th_TECATE_SCORE_BAJA_1000_ENSENADA_TO_LA_PAZ_PENINSULA_RUN_CLICK_HERE_FOR_RACE_INFORMATION/2012.aspx

Mike

Sold 85 Neoplan 33ft 6V92ta, sadly busless
mike802

1983 MCI MC9

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 06:54:33 PM »

I wont be going, but it is a life long dream of mine to "ride" in the Baja 1000, notice I said ride, not compete. LOL.  When I get the bus done and I am still able to ride, maybe, just maybe. Cool

Mike
1983 MCI MC9
Vermont
Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 07:03:03 PM »

I have never seen a bus doing the Baja.  WOW that would be a treat and a half.  Just make sure you get lots of video

:grin:

Frank

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 02:15:02 AM »

When I was about eight I saw a couple of teenagers in a local park playing with their Tamiya Roughriders, which was the first time I'd ever heard of off-road racing buggies. When I was a teenager I got heavily involved with racing the model version myself, and since then have owned a string of full-size Bugpack Fugitives. I'd love to go and watch the Baja 1000 sometime - there's nothing remotely equivalent in the UK of course, but I have been so see a number of UK comp-safari events, which have some pretty extreme machinery as well nowadays - but the courses are only a few miles long, and obviously mud based, rather than sand. Plenty of British teams compete in the Paris-Dakar though - in fact one of the most successful UK teams (Bowler) are in the next town.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
loosenut
Confidently Ignorant

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 02:50:02 PM »

Mike,
Riding as a passenger during the race is also difficult.  There is a lot of bouncing against the harness.  Your pretty beat up by the end. 

The last time I went, 5 years ago, it was easy to get on a crew.  I drove a race team's Ford f350 pick up on the roads for the last half of the race to Cabo San Lucas providing parts and tires and allow a mechanic to sleep in between pit stops.  I was drafted to help a friend's family team.  However, if you know your way around a wrench you can easily join a team  Mechanics are needed the whole way down. 

Frank, SR, 

I expect if you entered your bus in the race you would win.  It is doubtful there are 2 buses that would finish the race.  Think about it you could drive slow and still win.  ;^)

Jeremy,

You will have the time of your life.  Considering your business you could easily get credentialed as a journalist and gain access to a number of areas and events.  You might wait five years til the 50th anniversary.  It should be grand party.  I was amazed at the 40th anniversary.

Mike

Sold 85 Neoplan 33ft 6V92ta, sadly busless
mike802

1983 MCI MC9

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 06:56:17 AM »

Riding as a passenger during the race is also difficult.  There is a lot of bouncing against the harness.  Your pretty beat up by the end. 
I can only imagine, I know it is a grueling endeavor, I read some where about this guy who competes every year and he's like in his 80's or something like that!  Of course knowing how difficult it is, I have to make it even more extreme to ensure my failure. LOL  I would like to ride the Baja 1000 on a vintage 1981 KDX 175.  I used to ride alot in sad pits and I know how difficult riding in sand is, I don't know if the sand is the same on the Baja peninsula, but around here its very loose and if you let weight transfer to the front wheel it can be all over in a hurry.  Just getting the logistics put together is a feat in itself, the crew, the parts, the gas, getting there, etc and I am not getting any younger.  It I ever make this happen I think it would be a good idea to start out in the Baja 500 to get a taste of it and gain some experience.  Living in Vermont just going and watching would be difficult.  I looked into racing enduro's in my area, but unfortunately Vermont is very unfriendly to off road riding and I need to have the bus put together so I can travel through out New England and surrounding states.

Mike
1983 MCI MC9
Vermont
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 09:51:08 AM »

Quote from: Slow Rider
I have never seen a bus doing the Baja.  WOW that would be a treat and a half.  Just make sure you get lots of video

:grin:
Frank

http://www.unicat.net/

and some of our members may even recognize this one as one of our regulars!
http://blip.tv/our-odyssey/the-big-puddle-148254

https://www.google.com/search?q=monster+school+bus&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=nCWEUM9qjPL2BMuggeAK&ved=0CCEQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=609

Frank if you built your bus like these it should be NO PROBLEM! (beside just remember the off-roading abuse your bus took while CAT learned to drive it "Dukes of Hazard Style!" (ya know the several unsuccessful pond jumping adventure, which by the way is where we learned that with an MC8 driving with it 1/2 submerged is possible due to the high location of the air intake!  Wink LOL!)

Grin  BK  Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: