Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 24, 2014, 05:39:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: convert Insinkerator disposal to macerator black water pump.  (Read 2973 times)
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« on: October 20, 2012, 10:57:19 AM »

FWIW, I priced out the ready-made macerator pumps from Shurflow, over $500 up here in Canada, so I got me down to the home store and picked up the cheapest garbage disposal unit they had.  Took the top off, added four 5/16" lugs to fit a stinky slinky hose (the diameter of the top input of the disposal unit is a perfect fit for the ID of the hose end).  Adding an extension cord for 120 vac power, $10 of adaptors to the hose fitting, and tomorrow I'll pick up 75 feet of 3/4" garden hose and test it out.  I'll let you know how it works...  I got the idea here:  http://steampunkworkshop.com/diy-rv-macerator-pump

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 11:01:04 AM »

Most of the time the FloJet macerator pumps are around 175 bucks on sale here in a carrying case check Eastern Marine I see the ShruFlow pump there for a 104 bucks
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 11:07:24 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 11:19:21 AM »

Clifford, there's two weeks of shipping, customs, duty, and courier charges between there and here - and it's supposed to get below freezing any day now!  Time is of the essence, and RV stores not only mark stuff up shamelessly up here, their landed cost is higher than the normal Internet sale price for almost anything...  I stopped complaining and just make a point of stopping at Camping World for their sale stuff whenever I pass one...in the USA!  But today, I need a pump tomorrow!

Brian

Vintage race cars -
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 11:27:59 AM »

Just be sure your hose is a distinctive color, preferably black Smiley

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 11:51:46 AM »

I'd like to see yours in action, any chance of a video? Grin
 Pretty slick setup Wink
   V.

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
saddleup

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 03:00:50 PM »

Van, you need to put a couple of these togather, i will pay cash for one.
Matt

Battle Mountain,NV  Molson,Wa  Yuma,Az

1974 Eagle 05 On the road, to Somewhere
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 03:12:10 PM »

Van, trust the cowboy he will pay cash lol just tell him who picture you want on the bill,Matt I have a extra FlowJet they sent me a new one under warranty I have no idea what is wrong with but it is your to pickup   

Lol

Life is short drink the good wine first
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 03:31:34 PM »

Matt I'll take cash or a barrel of oil Grin Don't care who's picture is on the oil drum Cheesy Grin
 I could make it a dual use operation, could use a spray bar attachment on the front or rear to fertilize the neighbors lawns and off set the price of the maceration Grin.

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 03:52:33 PM »

Brian, Already been there done that about 1-1/2 years ago. Ace brought it up and I went and built the thing and very well I must say. I used it up to 180 feet and it took 15 minutes to empty a 45 gallon black tank on our bus up hill and down. It didnt matter the contour of the ground. In about a year it started leaking out the bottom of the insinkerator and there was no fixing it. It was a 3/4 hspower insinkerator brand new. I still have it but it won't turn anymore rusted shut. I think maybe the long duration it took to empty and not being SS inside the bearing and the seal went out. I even had a wash out on the top of the clear fitting to back clean the hose.
Also the top after taking off the Gasket and flanges is not exactly 3" it is a little larger. You have to grind the top lip off flush with the outside of the throat of the disposal.
We called our's a "disposerator", LOL

Dave5Cs
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 04:14:51 PM by Dave5Cs » Logged

My personal skills are fine.. itís my tolerance to idiots that needs work!....

http://s1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj493/fltmr2000/
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 05:13:00 PM »

I have a Jabsco marine marcerator that "RV Systems" used to sell individually for around a $100+.  All they did was take the Jabsco boat marcerator and pump and put an end on it so that it would fit a 3" RV dump hose. 

What I see wrong with the house garbage disposal unit is that there is NO pump to take the ground up waste out the discharge hose to the dump station.  With a house garbage disposal all you are doing is depending on gravity to get the waste to the marcerator and then there is no pump to take it to the sewer connection .  Jabsco uses a "water puppy" 12v pump plus the marcerator blades to grind up and pump out the black tank.

So if you want to use a house garbage disposal unit and go to all the trouble to make the mounting brackets for it you just need to buy the pump to take it from the marcerator to the sewer dump. 

--Geoff

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
Dave5Cs

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 05:44:32 PM »

It had plenty of push Like I said earlier I had it pumping up hill 180 foot hose and it was going fine through a 3/4 inch garden hose.

The problem was they are not meant to keep turning for 5, 10, 15 minutes at a time depending on the size of the tank and the seal finally went after we used it for a year flawlessly, and it was well rusted inside bottom. It was leaking over the electric inside the bottom which is really not good but the article doesn't tell you that part.
I will check into the maserators you are talking about, thanks.

Dave5Cs

Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 10:33:00 PM »

We've never had a problem with our waste. Don't use chemicals, and use a sewer solution. Pumped slightly uphill for 50 feet no sweat.

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
sommersed

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 06:58:53 AM »

I full time boondock and use a macerator 95% of the time.  I have found that a 24 volt macerator is vastly superior to the 12 volt ones, with the added feature of being ables to operate  dry like the normal RV water pump.

Cost is/was around a hundred bucks or so on ebay.

Ed
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 11:36:22 AM »

Report, as promised...   Shocked  Poo is gone!  Yay!

Seriously, this was about the easiest thing I ever did.  Making the pump work was easy, hooking it up was easy, watching it work was easy, the hardest part was rolling up the 100' of hose without getting drips on me...  Helping make this easy may be the combined gray/black tank making a very fluid mess to pump.

Notes of interest - not all RV waste bayonet connectors are the same size.  By total luck I first bought one that fit over the end of the pump perfectly.  The one I bought to make up the shorty hose was smaller and you would have to trim the top flange on the pump to get it to fit.  The pump seemed to stay cool as long as it had fluid to pump, but got warm at the very end when it was basically running dry.  It pumped out maybe 20 gallons in less than 10 minutes, probably 6 minutes, through 100 feet of 5/8" garden hose.  I made up the hose adaptor from typical black plastic plumbing bits, a slip on connector over the stock 1 1/4" output pipe, and a pipe thread bushing down to a standard pipe thread to hose fitting.

If I had the time, I would have ordered the Shurflow pump, absolutely.  But this runs off 120vac rather than 12vdc, works fine and suits me to a tee.  It cost less than half what I would have had to pay for the Shurflow if I bought it here, and about the same as I would have paid for it if I bought it out of the US via Internet shopping.  If and when it dies, I'll make a new decision on which way to go.

Brian

Vintage race cars -
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Dave5Cs

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 05:47:59 PM »

Nice job Brian,
Which fitting did you find that fit the top, I have to trim the top to get it to fit.
Be aware in about 8 months of use because when it starts leaking it will leak from the bottom and that is where as you probably know the wiring is hooked to the motor and exposed to the leakage when the seal goes. You will know it when it starts whining and it will from the heat drying out the bearing. When it would do that I would put in some machine oil from sears that oils dryer bearings with the long small tube on the bottle and that would stop the noise. HTH

Dave5Cs

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: