Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 06:09:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hooking up a boiler in shop  (Read 854 times)
busnut104

Ignore
« on: October 24, 2012, 05:46:10 PM »

Hi: need some help from you experienced electricians. What I'm trying to do is hook a coal furnace up to my oil furnace. My questions is there a relay or some type of switch that if one furnace calls for the circulating pump to run and the other also wants to send elect to the pump. I need a either or type of switch, so if the pump is running from one furnace and the other call for the pump to run the electric can not get to the pump till the other one is not calling for it to run, So the pump is not getting elect from two sources. This is not a standard hookup so bear with me. If you can help thanks.
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 08:13:23 PM »

Pretty simple really

Same setup just the other side as when two zones call for heat or just one calls

Just do it in reverse

If that doesn't make sense I can do a schematic for you

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
busnut104

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 08:20:49 PM »

Melbo: I guess if you do not mind, I could use a drawing, thanks.
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 05:21:51 PM »

Hi: need some help from you experienced electricians. What I'm trying to do is hook a coal furnace up to my oil furnace. My questions is there a relay or some type of switch that if one furnace calls for the circulating pump to run and the other also wants to send elect to the pump. I need a either or type of switch, so if the pump is running from one furnace and the other call for the pump to run the electric can not get to the pump till the other one is not calling for it to run, So the pump is not getting elect from two sources. This is not a standard hookup so bear with me. If you can help thanks.

What difference does it make if one switch kicks on, and the other one kicks on?  You are tripping the same motor.

--Geoff

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
busnut104

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 05:26:34 PM »

I'm not sure on this that is why I asked, put it like this, if I had a motor and had a extension cord plugged in and hooked to the motor and then took another extension cord and plugged it into another outlet what would happen, would there be a direct short.
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 06:05:22 PM »

Good point.  I have never had this "problem", but yes the 2 hot outlets on the either side of the 240 are on different waves, so  you need to hook both relays on the same side of the circuit panel. 

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 06:27:22 PM »

Sent you a PM  Smiley

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print