Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 12:30:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Skinned Prevost's windows  (Read 1916 times)
Le Mirage

Le Mirage XL 1987

Ignore
« on: October 25, 2012, 10:21:54 AM »

I want to skin windows. My coach is a Prevost, Le Mirage, 1987. There's anybody has skinned the windows? Prevost sell the plates but they are expensive. What thick of aluminum plate? Do you have a sheet (plan design) for machine shop? (I don't know if you understand me....)

Thank you...

GaŽtan & Manon (french canadian)
Prevost, Le Mirage XL, 1987
Quebec, Canada

http://latchodromquebec.blogspot.com/2010/05/la-fin-du-voyage.html

Skykingrob

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 03:19:57 PM »

Yup, we understand you. Yup, I covered over windows in my 1991 Prevost XL about 5-6 yrs ago. Some skin over the windows and some, like me, remove the windows, frame and all. I found it easier to remove the window and frame  which had the added benefit of lowering the coach weight and when I sold the extra windows at $200 each, not the ridiculous $750 that someone on ebay is asking, it made me some conversion money. You have the remove the lower rivets from the top cover rail then lift it upward, don't need to remove the upper rivets under the coach top. Once you get the cover rail up, just drill out or grind off the rivets around the window frame and gently pry out the frame and window. There is sticky stuff that holds the windows frames in but if you are careful and gently pry from the top down you can remove them in a controlled fashion. The take some 1/8" lunan plywood from Lowes, Home Depot or cardboard to make a templet of the window frame/coach side wall shape. Next, find you a sheet metal wholesaler/retailer in your area selling 4' X 8' sheets of 3036 aluminum, 0.062 thickness. Take your templet and the sheeting to a machine shop that can bend the sheets to match the coach side walls. Then apply 1/8" thick 2" wide roll mastic to the frame areas. Once that is on there, start at one top corner and put one rivet there. Then heat the inside of the aluminum with a propane weed burner, construction heater, the sun (or some other source of continous high heat). Once the sheet has expanded as much as it can in length and width, about 15 minutes of heat, the rivet the opposite upper corner, then the lower corners, then go back and fill in to match the Prevost rivets. If you need matching rivets, call Byler rivets in Dallas, as for "old style Prevost Rivets", ther exact matches. Be sure to get some drill bits from them at the same time, Super sharp, long lasting. I bout 5 and then just resharpened them. Thats all there is to it. Took me and my wife (she ran the weed burner heater on the inside while worked on the outside) about 4-6 to 8 hour days to get it all done.

Rob
91 Prevost LeMirage XL
Missouri
Le Mirage

Le Mirage XL 1987

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 05:22:19 AM »

Thank you Rob for your explain. I understood exactly what job I must do.

My project is for this winter. In my garage...

Quebec, Canada

Timkar

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 02:37:18 PM »

This may help you with planning....http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.ca/2005_09_01_archive.html
there are more details on the panels in later months archives...
HTH....Tim

Cawston, British Columbia
Le Mirage

Le Mirage XL 1987

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 08:43:46 AM »

Thank you Tim for the link!

Quebec, Canada

scanzel

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 03:19:27 AM »

I have an 89 Prevost that I am converting and to keep work simple I left the windows in and just covered them on the inside. Covered 5 of them on the drivers side only, making a side isle bathroom. The bus may still look like a bus from the outside but I didn't want the added work to try and cover windows. Yes it does reduce weight which is an advantage if covering windows on both sides.

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
Le Mirage

Le Mirage XL 1987

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 06:03:31 AM »

I have an 89 Prevost that I am converting and to keep work simple I left the windows in and just covered them on the inside. Covered 5 of them on the drivers side only, making a side isle bathroom. The bus may still look like a bus from the outside but I didn't want the added work to try and cover windows. Yes it does reduce weight which is an advantage if covering windows on both sides.

That's exactly what I have. But I would like a look like a bus motorhome with the parts skinned each side. I like the look.

Quebec, Canada

muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 06:27:11 AM »

Good morning.  What I did is purchase one of Prevosts panels and then took that and used it as a template.  I used .090" thick aluminum sheet (it tends to warp less). I took the template to a fabrication shop and told them what I needed........this was a few years ago before prices on aluminum skyrocketed.  Prevost panels were $400 ea. I think I had about $150 in each one afterwords.  I used Sika 252 and rivets along the top edge to fasten the panels to the chassis.  I used 2" wide cargo straps to pull the sides down after the top edge was riveted, I let each panel set over nite then removed the straps.  Good luck.  

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/
muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 06:42:03 AM »

I also had them fabricate a 2.5" x 1.5" aluminum L for the top. I removed all of the rivets along the top outside roof line, after all of the side was finished I installed this L to cover the top edge of the panel, the top of the L actually went under the roof where I removed the rivets, then I reinstalled all of the rivets along the roof line.   One other item (the insides of my bus were not finished at the time.....at the very top on the inside of each panel I sealed this seam with Sika also just to insure that nothing would leak later. I've not had a leak anywhere along these seams between roof, chassis and new panels. 

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/
Le Mirage

Le Mirage XL 1987

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 08:22:07 AM »

Thank you so much.

True, Prevost sell the panel 600$ and skin two windows and the panel is pre-paint (primer) I need 3 panels for my projets. One each side in the middle and the third splitted for the last (rear) window each side. 1800$ cnd + tax...

Actually, I search a machine shop able to built the plate with curve and angle on the top. I think to use polyurethane for winshield for gluing (to fix) all joint and all frame of the bus. I like your idea for strapping the plate and after fixed on the top.

(I hope you can understand me!...thank you)

Quebec, Canada

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 03:45:43 PM »

I use 16 ga cold roll steel sheet . form same way fasten at top and strap and walk curve around toward bottom. Why cold roll? hold paint better.(from hot rod days)  warps less than alum in sun.  Haven't had good luck with alum. 3rd bus with steel.  Just my way.  weight is not that much more in the grand scheme of things.   cost and availability is great.   Everyone does it differant.    Bob.     

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 04:09:27 PM »

Have you checked www.bocar.com in Quebec they were selling the fiberglass window blanks a few years back

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 06:34:01 AM »

Have you checked www.bocar.com in Quebec they were selling the fiberglass window blanks a few years back

good luck

Clifford, good job on inserting the link. You are really coming along. Some of us do notice the effort. Grin

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Le Mirage

Le Mirage XL 1987

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 06:44:15 AM »

Have you checked www.bocar.com in Quebec they were selling the fiberglass window blanks a few years back good luck

Thank you for the link but here in Quebec we have not Bocar industries.

Curiously, I thought to do the plate with fiberglass. I don't know if that's a good idea. May be the fiberglass-plate will be too thick (?)

I'm very happy for all responses my friends. I continue my reflexion and research.

Quebec, Canada

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 06:52:01 AM »

Try 2423 Quebec Inc the Bocar site is hard to navigate for some

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print