Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 11:34:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4104 jacking  (Read 912 times)
kaptar

Ignore
« on: October 26, 2012, 10:23:51 AM »

Is it safe to jack up the front of a 4104 with a floor jack under the center of the front axle? I want to raise it fairly high and use a pair of 12 ton jack stands.
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 11:59:47 AM »

If you placed the jack under the axle's center you could bend it  -  not good.   Put the jacks under each suspension mounting-point on the axle, then it won't see any different load than normal.   Is there somewhere under the axle that the tops of the jacks can nest inside to prevent them slipping off?   (My bus has spring mount pads under the axles that have convenient recesses for a jack to fit inside  -  does yours?)

Be careful, and block well during and after each lift.

John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
kaptar

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 02:01:10 PM »

Thanks I was afeaid of that. My jack is so big there won't be any room for the jackstands if I jack under suspension mounts.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 06:22:17 PM »

Drive it up onto blocks or Jack each end and insert blocks under the tires so you can get the stands underneath.

There is always a way unless the bus is not drivable.

I've even dug holes so the jacks will fit under the axle, the 4104 is too low for most jacks.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 01:34:09 AM »

I lift mine using a shorty 12T bottle jack to start, once I have enough height I use an air over 20t bottle jack, like others I lift it from both sides.  2 jacks are pretty much mandatory for lifting/working on '04 as you need to lift high, and the throw of a single jack can make for a long day. 
remember, cribbing is safer than jack stands
, especially on semi hard surfaces, you would be amazed at how easily a bus will knock stands  over.

chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 06:47:58 AM »

Our 4104 had jacking plates on the rear lower air beam channels (removable by loosening four anti-rattle screws) which needed a low profile 20 ton jack to lift. 12 ton requires too much effort to move handle. The only problem is that low profile jacks only have a few inches of travel; sometimes running out of travel before tires are off the ground. Make sure to run the threaded screw up first to minimize lost travel.Other option is to carry a couple of short pieces of plank to pull the tires up on and then use a Harbor Freight 20 ton AIR/ hydraulic jack. Once you use one, you won't want to use the old type. Either way, you need to carry some plank pieces for soft ground anyway.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 07:48:20 AM »

Besides ramps and planks i also carry 2 pieces of 1/2" thick steel plate that is 1ft. x 2ft. to use under my 20 ton jacks when i am on gravel or dirt. Heavy little buggers but they don't take up  much room. I drilled a hole in them so that i can use a hook to drag them out from under the bus when i am thru using them,...makes it a little easier to do.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
DaveNCari

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 08:07:57 AM »

Might anyone out there have some pics of a 4104 up on jacks and blocks to show the correct locations to load?

The safety freak racing engineer that I am would like to see...

Dave

Coming soon.....need of a bus-friendly RV park.....that values Liberty!

Watch this space....
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 12:28:09 AM »

I don't have pics but I will say that most of the work I have done under my bus was  with the bus wheels on run up blocks and the   suspension blocked with hardwood blocks at max extension.  This has given me enough room to do whatever was needed (rear brake work, air tanks etc...From experience and stating the obvious, the rear of the bus is way heavier, 12T jack has no trouble lifting the front.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: