Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 29, 2014, 05:13:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for Mini-Splits  (Read 6226 times)
Tikvah

Ignore
« on: October 27, 2012, 04:27:25 AM »

Funny time of year to be looking, but that is where I am in the conversion process.

I'm looking for two mini-splits.  One about 9000 and the other 12,000  (one in the bedroom, and the other above the windshield).

Ideally, with a heat and cool heat-pumps, and I like the inverter technology.   (Do "Heat Pump" units always have heat?)
Also, they need to be 110-115 voltage.  I only have an RV generator for now.

Trying to stay on a tight budget.  Anyone know where I can get a good deal?

Dave

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 07:33:44 AM »

one stop mini-split shop    is one. I used Soleus inverter Type   But shop around for deals and call for free shipping on two or free line sets.  good time of year to deal.   Ebay is good source just compare apples top apples  410 refrigerant is a must to get high performance with low amp use.  Just my experience  fasten all lines secure and you should be good to go. Mine are not road tested. My friends are for over 5 years and doing fine.   Bob   

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 08:28:02 AM »

Just doing a comparison on the 9000 unit.  Solace Brand.

The Heat Pump is 800W and 7.3A for $439
The Inverter is 730W and 6.5A  for $725

That seems like a small power difference for a big price difference.  Tell me why I want the Inverter.
Also, the 12,000 unit is not available in the 115V with the Inverter... Huh

Dave

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 08:34:00 AM »

No hard starts and power spikes with the inverter

HTH

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 03:11:33 PM »

Here is a "Premium" mini-split
http://www.highseer.com/19-seer-inverter-mini-split-ductless/ductless-mini-split-heat-pump-wyb012am9.html

I'm shy of the name Pioneer.

But it is 12,000 with 115V.... says it is "Variable Speed"    hmmmm

Huh  Huh  Huh
Dave

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 03:42:28 PM »

The inverter changes the AC current to DC current so instead of hard starts and only one speed the compressor runs on DC and just ramps up the speed as necessary to supply the cooling or heating called for from the remote unit.

Just the way it was explained to me.

HTH

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 04:25:59 AM »

I am toying with the idea of adding a mini to the main part of my house.   The concern I have is finding parts and service, a minor problem could be the end of an unsupported unit.

I have no doubts about using a mini they are used every where in Asia.

Buying a name brand would use up any savings, but buying two chepo's and keeping one for a replacement or parts might be an option?

Just thinking in print.                                                  JIm

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

sledhead

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 05:59:56 AM »

As my heating buddy put it. There are all the same crap inside so save your money and buy a unit that you can get locally at a good price and when it craps out in 4-5 years the new replacement one will be even cheaper then the first.Thanks china for all the low prices . just add a soft start capacitor ( about 20 bucks )         dave   

1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide . home base huntsville ontario canada
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 06:44:48 AM »

In Evansville Ind for the same model # from over internet. The wholesale supplier wants twice the money..I believe in buy local! But at twice the $ takes the zing out of it.   Bob I have a 24000 Inverter style  Klimaire in home now. 2600sq ft plus basement Midwest over 100 for several weeks.  My elect bill is 55% of what it was last year over same 5 month period and replaced a 5ton and a 3 ton heat pump.  At 108 degree it got to 78 in our home. I am thinking of adding another 12000 next year.(maybe)  The reason I used in home is because of how well they worked in coach. Again I'm on a long term build so have not been road tested.On the other side I have a friend that has been running his for over 5 years.(two)  I have three installed and very seldom run more that one sitting still except for initial cool down or warm up. range from single digets to 100F  Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 07:20:30 AM »

I was at Sigler a Carrier distributor they had a mini split American made with the Copeland compressor wholesale price on the 12,000 btu was 2800 bucks twice the price of a China made unit 

I have no idea if there is any truth in what I was told but the heavier in weight in a AC unit the better the unit,I did fall for it though and bought 3 six ton roof mounts for the restaurant the Carriers were about 30 lbs heavier than a Goodman the same size 

good luck
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 07:36:32 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 09:01:29 AM »

In my search one thing I thing that is brought up often is that a well installed cheap unit will outlast a poorly installed quality unit.  I read it on the internet so it must be true!

Our resident expert claims that the mini's are not as effective  at removing humidity, like living in a cool sponge was the term used.  I never noticed that in the tropic's.

How would a soft start capacitor be added?                                JIm

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 09:09:21 AM »

(snip)   How would a soft start capacitor be added?                                JIm 

Yeah, if "soft start" is the big thing for a $1700 unit versus a $900 version, I'd like to know that, too.

BTW, super woodwork in your bus, JJ.  And is there info on your webpage about your leveling system?  Do you use the suspension airbags or separate air jacks?  And what air conditioner do you have installed now? 

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 09:16:29 AM »

Just remove the capacitor and replace it with a soft start all they do is spike the voltage I replace 200 v capacitors with 300 v all the time that will start one take the laboring out of starting lol

good luck 

Life is short drink the good wine first
sledhead

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 11:53:42 AM »

On my unit in the bus the soft start kit (capacitor ) you add to the org. capacitor piggy back wires came in the kit can't remember the name .just ask were you buy the a/c . My a/c in the bus is a 9000 BTU cool 10,000 BTU heat comfort aire by heat controller inc jackson mi . Wholesale price $675. + tax.1/4 " and 3/8 " lines extra approx $100. bucks                               dave

1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide . home base huntsville ontario canada
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 02:11:21 PM »

When you talk about soft-start capacitors, are you still talking about mini-splits?   I'm understanding that the Inverter type wouldn't need the soft-start....  they already are Huh

How many of you are already using mini-split in your coach?

How many units and what size?

How did you set up the outside unit?

Pictures???

Dave

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: