Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 10:38:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More Questions About Bus Smoking  (Read 691 times)
Jriddle

Ignore
« on: October 28, 2012, 01:49:15 PM »

I have read all the recent posts about bus smoking. My Bus is a 1984 TMC with a 6v92 with Auto Trans. I get some smoke on warm up. White in color with heavy fuel smell and will go away when bus is up to temperature. I do notice while under way it will go away and usually all at once. I made a trip to Twin Falls, Salt Lake City then home. While on I-15 in Salt Lake I noticed the bus smoking white/blue smoke. When I pushed pedal to the floor (Hammer Down) the smoke would quit right away. When I eased up and then reapplied the throttle I would get lots of smoke. This was the case all the way home. Engine seemed to run well but plenty of smoke. The engine temp did seem low and I plan to replace the thermostats before I use again.  I could get it to smoke black on the hills. Any advise would be appreciated before I go tearing in to things.

Thanks John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 02:10:08 PM »

If you have good compression, it may only need a fresh set of injectors.  I believe that you need a minimum of 450psi at 600 rpm (engine running) to have good compression on that turbo engine.  This is at sea level.

--Geoff

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 02:48:12 PM »

Geoff thanks for reply.

I need to get compression testing figured out and do have N-65 injectors on hand.

John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 02:55:08 PM »

You don't want the N-65 in the 6v92 you probably have 7G70's now (277 hp)  John trying changing over to 40W if you are still running the 30w and install new 180 degree thermostats give that a shot first

If you do have the 7g70 change to 7g75 it will give you 294 hp and almost 900 lbs of torque without changing the turbo

good luck
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 03:19:26 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: