Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 10:22:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any caveats taking a bus to hurricane area?  (Read 1513 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: October 30, 2012, 09:28:01 AM »

My father has asked about taking my bus to New Jersey to help my uncle recover from the hurricane.  My uncle's house is right on the water and has 6 feet of water inside.  Any issues related to the hurricane they would need to worry about?  If they leave right away they might have troubles getting fuel in the local area, but they should be able to bring in enough fuel in the tank.  My other worry would be punctured tires from debris.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 09:45:21 AM »

Good grief Brian a chance to help someone in bad need and you worry about a puncture in tires 

I am sorry but that is that way I feel

good luck on what ever you do

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Ralph7

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 10:48:35 AM »

I doubt he would get close cause you would to use I-40 to I-81 cause of snow in western Pa., normally takes 2-4 days to clear the Turnpike, but it is still very slippery/icey. Lived there, east of the high hills. when you get to Jersy you need to find a place to park, get electric, take all your supplies. Fuel would not be a big problem, get it in Va.
        Just gettin to Jersy from Pa. in this week?? Most major roads open in Pa., Power in N.J. is/will be an issue for a while, it depends just where he lives.
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 11:24:59 AM »

We took motor homes to a friends home on Sullivans Island near Charleston SC after Hugo.

Security came by and tried to make us leave till they found out we had food and adult beverages.
Then we had daily visits.

Best way to help out a friend in need after a storm. We carry all needed supplies and power.

uncle ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
LUKE at US COACH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 11:56:54 AM »

Hi Brian & Folks:

I am in N.J. and we are fine here.

All roads to the shore area are closed indefinately.
If your Uncle is "on shore", then you can probably get to him.

Give me a call and I will try to help you, Dad & your Uncle.

LUKE at US COACH
1-888-262-2434
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 12:19:52 PM »

Good grief Brian a chance to help someone in bad need and you worry about a puncture in tires 

I am sorry but that is that way I feel

I'm not concerned about costs of buying a new tire or having to have a tire repaired.  My concern would be finding a place that could do a repair or replacement if there are no tire shops open.  By the time they let folks into the area that may not be an issue.

My dad has been in contact with my uncle.  I'm sure he won't be going if he can't get into the area.  I'm not sure how soon they will be leaving.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 01:26:24 PM »

Wait a few days, the clean up alone would prohibit parking any where near the shore I'm sure. . I got a sister just outside of Ft Dix, Burlington county and the power is out still so I would assume conditions to be the same all through out the area due to downed tree's. Best of luck to your Uncle.

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 07:17:44 PM »

My father's original plan was to drive his minivan out there along with another of my uncles.  They would sleep in the back of the minivan.  One of my cousins and her boyfriend volunteered to also go so my dad asked me about using my bus instead.  The cost is three times that of taking the minivan, but they couldn't sleep four in the minivan.

It sounds like this is not going to be an immediate trip now.  My uncle needs to talk to the city to be sure they will let him rehab the house.  Apparently the water is gone from the house already, but there is still flooding in the area.  It sounds like my dad thinks taking my bus out there would be too expensive anyhow.  I can't go because I am out of vacation for the year.

I've never been to a disaster area other than a trip organized by a relief organization so I have no idea if there would be problems taking a bus into an area versus a standard car.

B_K

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 09:54:48 PM »

Brian send the bus! Not only will it provide transportation, a place to sleep, a place to cook/eat, a place to just kick back an relax, but also a generator for power and a piece of mind!
Shoot Luke has already said he's in the area and would help.
And don't forget Nick and all the "Delaware gang" are nearby. An.
Grin  BK  Grin
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 05:07:15 AM »

Brian send the bus! Not only will it provide transportation, a place to sleep, a place to cook/eat, a place to just kick back an relax, but also a generator for power and a piece of mind!
Shoot Luke has already said he's in the area and would help.
And don't forget Nick and all the "Delaware gang" are nearby. An.

It really isn't up to me if the bus goes.  My dad asked if he could take the bus and how much it would cost.  I told him yes, but it appears he doesn't want to want to take the bus after he figured it would cost around $1,500.  If four of them went out to help they couldn't sleep in the minivan like they planned.  I might convince my boss to let me go if they don't go until after the election.

I haven't been able to get in touch with Luke yet.

lvmci

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 08:03:12 AM »

Brian, maybe you should bring a little portable generator for your uncle (even from a pawn shop) I'm shure there are none left there, lvmci...

MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 10:35:49 AM »

"Stay away"  It's a mad house.
Everyone has a generator but no one can get gas.
All the traffic lights are out, the state police are doing their best to keep control.
The gas stations that can pump have mile long lines and yes there is fighting.
They are estimating no electric for 7 to 10 days.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 10:38:23 AM by Ednj » Logged

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 10:45:16 AM »

I talked to my dad again and he said it might be a month before he heads out.  He is waiting until my uncle says they will let folks into his area.  It sounded initially like he was going to want to leave in a few days, but he got more information since then.

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 03:10:31 PM »

It is a pretty long shot at this point that we will head out to help my uncle recover.  My uncle found out that he will be required to raze the house and rebuild on stilts if the rehab cost exceeds 50% of the value.  (Not sure if that is 50% of market value, or 50% of replacement cost.)  It is highly likely the rehab cost will exceed 50% since the most expensive parts of the house were damaged.  (Kitchen, furnace/AC, and water heater.)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: