Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 04:25:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 15-40 vs 40 Wt  (Read 1558 times)
Timkar

Ignore
« on: November 13, 2006, 07:10:50 PM »

These may have been posted before, but here are some pics of a DD after a 100 hr run. One engine was using 15-40 and the other straight 40. You decide which is best for your engine....

Cawston, British Columbia
Dallas

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 07:20:48 PM »

I've seen those photo's before and one thing has always struck me about them.

How in the world did they ever get enough compression to make the engine run with those liners cut in half?Huh?   Grin Grin Grin

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I now return you to your serious discussion.
larryh
4905A-893 P8M

ready to run with the big dogs

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 04:35:18 AM »

Dallas

As per owner only missed on a hard pull.

LarryH

Savvy ponderable:
A cowboy's only afraid of two things:
havin' ta walk,
and the love of a good woman.
"This posting was generated using an environmentally friendly, self contained flatulence generator, therefore no fossils or neutrons were harmed in the creation of this posting.

Quartzsite,
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 06:24:10 AM »

Let's not start another copyright problem thread. These images likely came from Tejas Coach Works' site (Mineral Wells, TX). At least that's where I saw them a few years back. I don't know if they are the original owner of the images, but Tejas' site also gives a LOT of good info on bad oil for DD's.

http://www.tejascoach.com/ddcoil.html

Brian B.

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 03:42:43 PM »

How much difference does it make?  The guys who designed these engines tested, and tested and tested under many, many different engine applications and came up with the they truly believed is the best possible lubricant for all the across the board situations.

And we, who have garnered all the Degrees, are going to challenge them and their findings?  And at the cost of a complete rebuild?

C'mon, how dumb are we?  There might be those of you who will question the findings...do so at your own peril...as I won't.  I've worked with Detroits for enough years to know that the folks who built them understand them better than we ever could.

FWIW

Ncbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 04:04:43 PM »

How much difference does it make?  The guys who designed these engines tested, and tested and tested under many, many different engine applications and came up with the they truly believed is the best possible lubricant for all the across the board situations.

And we, who have garnered all the Degrees, are going to challenge them and their findings?  And at the cost of a complete rebuild?

C'mon, how dumb are we?  There might be those of you who will question the findings...do so at your own peril...as I won't.  I've worked with Detroits for enough years to know that the folks who built them understand them better than we ever could.

FWIW

Ncbob
Very well said.  Another expert group worth listening to are those who are responsible for keeping the large fleets on the road while keeping cost and downtime under control.  And from what I have seen, they also agree with the designers and the conclusions expressed on the Tejas site.

I am fortunate to have a great engine and wouldn't think of taking a chance on ruining it by deviating from tried and true practices.
belfert

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 05:18:58 PM »

I think there are three reasons why Detroit 2 stroke owners use 15W-40 oil instead of the proper 40 weight:

1. Knowledge.  Nobody told them to use 40 weight and they assume all diesels use 15W-40.

2. Availability.  40 weight diesel oil can be hard to find.  Walmart doesn't carry it.

3. Money.  40 weight oil isn't always cheap compared to 15W-40 at Walmart or similiar.

Timkar

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 06:41:09 PM »

Did not intend to get into possible copyright issues. I got these from a track machine website.
Thanks for the link to Tejas, good stuff there.
Another reason some owners may be using different oil than 40W is what I have seen on both Prevost and Eagle coaches. On the power steering reservoir there is sometimes a label stating 30W or 10-30W. It is the only label referring to oil that I could find in the engine compartment.

BTW...Just got back from Walmart and you can get a 5 gal bucket of 40W CF2 in Canada for 31.98

Cawston, British Columbia
Ace

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 08:20:26 PM »

Keep in mind that just because the BIG store says Wal-Mart doesn't mean they are all the same. Each district carries what they move the most of in each store such as the ones we have here locally all sell the same imported junk where as the ones down further south near where Jack lives sells farming stuff. We ain't got no farming stuff up in these parts! We'uns are city slickers' in these hea parts and all we gets is junk to chooze from!

Ace

PS: Our local city wal-marts do NOT carry straight 40w oil of any kind. Now i may find it at our local city type Tractor Supply but not sure!
Beatenbo

1993 MCI 102 C3 Cat Power

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 08:55:42 PM »

DD manual states over 30 years I know of 30w or 40w no 10w40  Advance and Auto Zone carry Rotella T in 30w. If I couldn't find 40w I would sure use 30w instead of 10w40. There are starting issuses and warm up that has great effect on Detroit. Not only that I 't will slober more and blow out more oil.
Casper4104

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 05:45:25 AM »

My local WalMart carries CF-2 rated Shell Rotella-T 40Weight.  It's a little pricier than Valvoline, but nothing severe.  I grabbed a couple of gallons last weeked for about $9.38 each.

Casper

If a half a hen lays a half an egg in a half a day - how long would it take a monkey with a wooden leg to kick the seeds out of a dill pickle?
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 08:06:52 AM »

Most WalMarts I've stopped at only carry the multigrade junk, so you folks are lucky. But I've always had good luck with NAPA (special order, next day) once I figured out their part # for the RotellaT 40wt. Some of their counter folks look at me funny... but I'm used to that!

There's entire fleets of 2-strokes still out in transit and charter service. So CF2 is readily available, if you know who to ask.

HTH,
Brian B.

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
ChuckMC9

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 06:22:58 PM »

I've always had good luck with NAPA (special order, next day) once I figured out their part # for the RotellaT 40wt.

When you get home, post the number if you will, good sir. Napa's website is extreme lameness.

Hope you're on the road by now and the winds didn't blow you over.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: