Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 27, 2014, 09:09:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Low Bridge  (Read 2539 times)
Fred Mc

Ignore
« on: November 01, 2012, 10:26:53 PM »

http://boingboing.net/2012/10/31/just-another-awesome-video-abo.html
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 07:55:47 AM »

That is pretty amusing.  Our bus is 12'2" ... I would not have made it.

BCO

Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 08:19:26 AM »

I wonder if the local truck repair places and towing companies have lobbied to not lower the road surface there?   Do you think the first 5th-wheel owner even realized what happened  -  he'll be wondering why nothing happens when he turns his AC on.

In England a few double-decker buses have become single-deckers because their drivers weren't paying attention.   It sometimes happens when a regular bus route is closed and buses have to go on alternate roads.   I have been sitting in the front of double-deckers and instinctively ducked my head when going under low branches and bridges, especially after a heavy snowfall when overhanging branches are heavier and hang lower than usual.   On one occasion I heard a branch scraping along the whole length of the roof  -  the driver downstairs didn't even knew!

John
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 08:21:59 AM by Iceni John » Logged

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 08:27:53 AM »

That is pretty amusing.  Our bus is 12'2" ... I would not have made it.   
BCO   

I don't even want to think about it. 

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 08:29:14 AM »

There is a 8-1/2 ft under pass in Needles Ca warning signs every place not a day goes by when the snowbirds start their migration someone does not rip a top of a rv or camper trailer, I have even seen the pickup campers laying in the street by people just being  plain stupid and not using the bypass 

Sad part is you have to stop before proceeding it is a one lane underpass but it still happens as been said you can't fix stupid

good luck  
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 08:35:46 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 09:22:11 AM »

Never ceases to amaze me that they don't just simply dig down the roadway a bit to avoid all the stupidity-especially on such a well traveled road.

Granted we have one of those near Santa Barbara with an off ramp from the 101 going south. Even some semi's have tried-usually resulting in a turn over-duh.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 09:29:30 AM »

I can tell you why they don't dig the road beds down it is called water you dig a road bed down then it requires a pumping station very expensive to install,operate and maintain states, counties and cities have been trying to get away from that for years

good luck
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 09:34:19 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 09:51:01 AM »

There is a 8-1/2 ft under pass in Needles Ca warning signs every place not a day goes by when the snowbirds start their migration someone does not rip a top of a rv or camper trailer, I have even seen the pickup campers laying in the street by people just being  plain stupid and not using the bypass 

Sad part is you have to stop before proceeding it is a one lane underpass but it still happens as been said you can't fix stupid

good luck  

First time I came to your place I found that bridge. I made an immediate left turn next to the tracks and made a loop back. Stupid GPS!

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
LowTide

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 11:05:38 AM »

good luck  

I think I have been under that bridge, but it was in a pick up truck. Is the bridge you speak of on the Needles side on the Nevada side....can't really remember as it's been over 15 years or so.

Mike

Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona
"1973 MCI MC-7 Challenger"

"A nation of sheep helps breed a government of wolves"
expressbus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 07:20:18 AM »

Tom C and Luvrbus,

Yes water ponding during a storm is a problem. That is not just for pumping station costs alone. There are people out there, probably including those that are oblivious to their vehicle heights, that drive right into standing water and flood out the engine. That would likely happen less often that running into the bridge beams. The other problem is that is a railroad bridge. It carries much higher loadings than a highway bridge. Of course the foundation design has to be such that it carries that load plus a factor of 2 safety allowance. The maximum legal height vehicle is 13' 6". This clearance was posted at 11' 8". In order to get to legal clearance would require removale of 22' of roadway structure. That amount of removed material could have a negative consequence for the iintegrity of the bridge foundations.

Best move for this bridge would be to close it and establish a new crossing. No comments on the irrational responses from local businesses or soccer mom shuttles about out of distance travel or those that don't know any other way to get from their point of origin to their desired destination aside from going under this bridge. Ignorance can be cured by education (in some countries), there is no cure for stupidity.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 07:22:04 AM by expressbus » Logged

Will Garner, Jr
Southern Pines, NC
1991 Prevost Conversion by Country Coach
lvmci

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 08:20:34 AM »

Hi All, my Dad could tell an 8 penny nail from a 10 penny nail at 5 feet, in LA tail gating of motorcycles is a real problem from people who can't judge distances, I just move away from them, I guess they're just all equal partners in the world, that's just the way it is, lvmci...

Mci 102C3 8V92, Allison 4 speed 740
Formally MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 09:58:54 AM »

I could see that same thing happening to me. I miss signs lot of times.  If I was a bit distracted because I was trying to follow directions, I might (I say might) not process the height of an upcoming structure.  Fortunately, we are probably less than 11.5 feet.

It would seem to me that the city that allows that problem to persist is run by morons though.  Aside from lowering the roadway, or creating an alternate crossing.  They could even put one of those hanging cross boards, as you often see in parking structures, across the roadway that over sized vehicles would hit as a warning they won't clear the bridge.  Heck, these days they could have a sensor that would set off alarms, signals and dancing gerbils.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 10:07:10 AM by Lin » Logged

You don't have to believe everything you think.
lvmci

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 04:40:00 PM »

Hi, Nevada DOT and UP put up an 8" yellow painted pipe across the railroad track underpass about 10' before the bridge, lvmci...

Mci 102C3 8V92, Allison 4 speed 740
Formally MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 07:47:29 PM »

Hi, Nevada DOT and UP put up an 8" yellow painted pipe across the railroad track underpass about 10' before the bridge, lvmci... 

Is Nevada one of the 14-Foot-Height states?

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
zukmancdr

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 05:30:03 AM »

There were lights flashing and a beam that the trucks are hitting. It shows the beam and it is bent bad. I don't see that the bridge is getting hit. I know the bridges are tough, but not that tough.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: