Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 03:30:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: house battery maintenance  (Read 1948 times)
sledhead

Ignore
« on: November 03, 2012, 05:43:21 AM »

I just checked the level on my 6   225 amp (gulf cart) batteries. I added about 1 gal in totat to all.Each battery water level was even or just above the plates. I used the inverter alot for the a/c this summer. The batteries are 6 years old and seem to work fine ,but maybe next year its time to replace ? Any ideas               thanks      dave

1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide . home base huntsville ontario canada
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 05:52:03 AM »

How often do you check them?  I check once a month,  I usually just check them on the first or second day of the month, makes it easier to remember to do it.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 05:57:23 AM »

As far as the age?  With care they could go a few more years, with neglect they could die in a few weeks.  I just found the receipt for my 2 group 31 starting batteries, they are just over 7 years old and still fine......paid $86 each.

sledhead

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 05:59:03 AM »

So I guess once a year is not so good !!! I will try for once a month                  dave

1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide . home base huntsville ontario canada
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 06:15:32 AM »

If you have been only checking them once a year, i am surprised that they lasted more than a couple of years.

thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 07:24:18 AM »

I started out checking mine every couple months, but I have never had to add water so I have slowly stretched out the time between checks. I check them every summer and every winter. Never have had to add water in three years for these batteries. I boondock quite a bit in the winter so they do get a workout. Both my chargers and solar controller are multi-stage smart chargers. When everything is setup right things just work. Grin Grin

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 07:33:20 AM »

It doesn't hurt a battery to run low on water as long as the plates are covered and wet on top fwiw

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
sledhead

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 08:56:44 AM »

I added 3/8 of an inch last year and about the same the previous year.I do have a small 120 watt solar panel and a 20 amp controller.I was thinking of adding a bogart 2025 monitar to help with charging.       dave

PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 08:52:32 PM »

After having to replace a set of house bats in just over a year of use (that was 4 years ago), I learned the hard way about batteries. Now I do like Ed and check them on the first or second day of each month. First I check each one's voltage, then specific gravity, and then I top them up with distilled water. Between the 6 = 6volt and 2 8D's I put in approx 1/2 gal of distilled/month. Usually it's the big ones that take the majority of water and then it's usually the newer one of those 2. Go figger. One of the 8D's is a year old and the other is going on 6.
Will Smiley

Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 10:23:41 PM »

I am a bit more lax on checking the start batteries (the house are AGM).  I do it every couple of months.  Usually they need a terminal cleaning too.  There are battery watering systems available that allow you to water all the cells at once from a reservoir.  Another nice idea that I have not taken advantage of.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 02:02:51 AM »

I think checking the water in the batteries frequently is a good idea until you establish how much they consume. Once that is established, checking them based on past experience will determine a good maintenance schedule. With the inverter and separate charger I determined that the single stage charger was boiling the water out at a pretty fast rate. I replaced the charger and the water consumption went way down. When the inverter failed, I bought a Magnum inverter/charger. That charger has three stages (four with equalize) and the batteries have not used any water until I recently equalized them. From my experience, I now will be checking the water only after equalizing the batteries. YMMV

As for cleaning the posts, get them clean and before reinstalling them put some anti-sieze compound on the posts, cable ends, and even the bolts and you will reduce or eliminate the cleaning in the future. The anti-sieze compound I use is a Permatex product from NAPA and is conductive. I learned that trick many years ago working on heavy equipment. When you are maintaining equipment with a lot of batteries anything you can do to reduce your work load is appreciated.

Good luck, Sam

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 04:30:18 AM »

I think checking the water in the batteries frequently is a good idea until you establish how much they consume. Once that is established, checking them based on past experience will determine a good maintenance schedule.  (snip)  I bought a Magnum inverter/charger. That charger has three stages (four with equalize) and the batteries have not used any water until I recently equalized them. From my experience, I now will be checking the water only after equalizing the batteries. YMMV
(snip)   

If you change the word "Magnum" to "Outback", that has been my experience (about 10 months), word for word.  If I'm losing any water between the equalize stages, I can't tell it (my guess is that I'm losing a tiny amount but visually -- with lead-acid wet batteries -- you can't see any drop in the electrolyte level from the "split ring" if it hasn't been through equalize).  Most of that time, my bus has been plugged in to shop outlet (with occasional "generator exercise" runs) while I'm working on it - maybe things will be different when I'm running on the road with the engine driven alternator.

Bruce Henderson,  NC  USA

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 04:33:42 AM »

How often do you check them?  I check once a month,  I usually just check them on the first or second day of the month, makes it easier to remember to do it.

This a good idea, another thing I do Ed is check 'em with a volt meter and try and insure the voltages are right.  One goes bad ... it will take the rest of 'em down at the same time.  As most buses (mine not being an exception to the rule) have parasitic battery drains, it a good idea to stay on top of what could be an expensive replacement problem.

BCO

Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 04:38:16 AM »

This a good idea, another thing I do Ed is check 'em with a volt meter and try and insure the voltages are right.  One goes bad ... it will take the rest of 'em down at the same time.  As most buses (mine not being an exception to the rule) have parasitic battery drains, it a good idea to stay on top of what could be an expensive replacement problem.    BCO   

That sounds like a good idea, Oke -- I haven't been doing it but I'll start.  Do you disconnect the battery terminals or can you get a reliable reading just measuring across each battery's terminal with everything turned off?  Thanks for that tip.

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 04:55:33 AM »

That sounds like a good idea, Oke -- I haven't been doing it but I'll start.  Do you disconnect the battery terminals or can you get a reliable reading just measuring across each battery's terminal with everything turned off?  Thanks for that tip.

I check each one individually, one at a time, hooked up.  Another thing I do is charge them thru the inverter for about three days at the start of each month, then I kill everything and let them sit.  Things happen, and one of them is the remote danger of a shop fire, so I do it this way.

BCO

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: