Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 20, 2014, 09:09:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I need a remote genny switch  (Read 629 times)
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« on: November 06, 2012, 08:31:28 PM »

Dear friends,

Does anybody have a remote genny switch in excess of your needs you would be willing to sell for less than the equivalent of the national debt? (Found one on Fleebay for $158!!!)

Or perhaps a replacement for the switch that mounts on the genny, (off, on, spring-return-to-center start) which could be remoted? I don't want to have to get out of the bus to press the started switch.

The generator is a Honda EB6500, electric start.

Thanks in advance, and be blessed!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 08:36:41 PM by Mex-Busnut » Logged

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 04:29:42 AM »

To clarify, we're just talking about a start switch for the generator engine, not a transfer switch for the generator power?

For a petrol generator any two position switch (ie. an old car ignition switch from a scrapyard), or a combination of an on-off switch and a momentary switch would do the job. There are lots of choices on Ebay for not much money (eg the one below on UK Ebay for £18, which is around $28):

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 04:46:21 AM »

You have to leave the switch on the generator Steve to remote wire the generator btdt any remote Onan or others panel will work and have the diodes call Dick Wright at Wrico he may can help at a decent price or Northwest RV Surplus he had a ton of remote panels for 10 buck each last time I was there some with hr meters

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 04:51:16 AM »

To clarify, we're just talking about a start switch for the generator engine, not a transfer switch for the generator power?

Jeremy

Just the start switch! Thanks!

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 05:44:09 AM »

Just the start switch! Thanks! 

Dr. Steve,  I'm guessing the Honda generator is gas, so you wouldn't need a switch for glow plugs (that would only be needed on a diesel), but you probably will need an ignition on-off switch as well as the starter switch.  And note that Clifford mentions diodes - my guess is that there's a system (maybe to stop one switch group from feeding back to each ohter -- but that's just a guess) that's needed instead of just a simple group of switches.  If there is an hour meter on the generator, you wouldn't need a remote one (although they're pretty nice to have).

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: